• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why doesn't God cure amputees?

TerranIV

Infidel
Your problem is, and this is coming from a Jewish perspective, is that you keep assuming (1) that G-d made all these promises, (2) that Jesus is G-d, and (3)that this is even an important issue.
G-d never made promises to heal. We have doctors for that.
Jesus was never G-d, and even if he was, he wasn't a very good god. He died.
And Atheists really need to find better questions. These are getting rather old.

I appreciate a jewish perspective on this issue. Of course if you are saying your god didn't make those promises then my original question doesn't pertain to your god, only the christian god who DID promise to heal people and answer prayers.

I disagree that the questions which religion cannot answer but atheism CAN are old. These are not uncommon questions and cannot just be dismissed. These kinds of questions are important because they problems in religion. They expose the weaknesses of the religious mindset and shows how atheism explains them all with a simple answer - it was all made up. Not always with malicious intent, but usually in an effort to control masses of people. Religion is not an honest explanation of reality.

Maybe this question doesn't expose a jewish problem, but it DOES show how millions of people can believe in a false idea. It speaks to all religions because it shows you are betting your lives on something which is unverifiable and in some cases harmful! (God telling the jews to wipe out whole cities in the Old Testament for instance.)

TerranIV

Infidel
Terran
Show me where this promise was made.

The promise made by Jesus you mean?

Mark 11:24
Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.

I realize Jehovah-god of the old testament made no such promise.

Tristesse

"most amputy's have the wound closed already in order to cure them god would need to harm them first and i got the feeling god's a bit opposed to the whole harming human's thing"

Really? because thats all he seems to do in the bible.

TerranIV

Infidel
"most amputy's have the wound closed already in order to cure them god would need to harm them first and i got the feeling god's a bit opposed to the whole harming human's thing"

Really? because thats all he seems to do in the bible.

Good point, but also I think if God was "all powerful" he could cure someone without hurting them. Why would he have to hurt them in the first place. I don't think lizards who grow back their tails or starfish who grow back their arms are in a lot of pain when they grow back.

Ever had growing pains? That would be a "pain from God." I don't thin god has any aversion to inflicting pain on anyone.

mariospants

An organism has to be the right species and have the right disease in order to be miraculously cured. You see, God is a lot like a doctor and a vet. Some things about cats, he can fix, but some things he can't, but he can fix those things in humans, but not always. He can do miracles, but not all of the miracles. Only some of them.

That's a cop-out, essentially meaningless... unless you're being sarcastic, in which case: nice one!

Amill

Apikoros
Pretty much every time I hear about a medical miracle I immediately wonder how they could think god saved them when none of millions of starving children around the world wake up with food magically in their tummies. Yet he cures old people of blindness, ect.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I just heard this question posed the other day:

"If god can miraculously cure people who are suffering from disease, why doesn't god cure amputees?"

I heard this from the guys over at whywontgodhealamputees.com and I was amazed at why I never thought of that before. If god has special powers and can do "miracles" why does he/she/it NEVER cure amputees? What is it about people with disease which makes them candidates for god's mercy but not amputees? Are starfish more loved by god than humans?

I'm curious for theists' and deists' answers to this question.
May this was offered somwhere in these countless pages of "Blah, Blah" but rarely does God perform a miracle without some greater purpose than an individuals personal satisfaction.

ThereIsNoSpoon

I just heard this question posed the other day:

"If god can miraculously cure people who are suffering from disease, why doesn't god cure amputees?"
...because its tooooo easy to do that. Everybody would believe in God if he just showed himself to exist.
Instead he has choosen to remain hidden so that we need faith.

Faith ya know .... that "blind trust".

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
...because its tooooo easy to do that. Everybody would believe in God if he just showed himself to exist.
Instead he has choosen to remain hidden so that we need faith.

Faith ya know .... that "blind trust".
According to Scripture, throughout history, when God was present, mankind rebelled against Him just as well as when He was not present.

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Which is somewhat expected, as God is, unless there is some magic involved, indirectly responsible for the death of every single human being who has ever lived, and all of the suffering of all those currently alive.