• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why doesn't the Bible mention.............

you are getting bogged down in the details, I think you get the point - they did not have the vocabulary to describe what they saw - and the point of what they saw was not the technology anyways. The point is about character / how to react / inter-personal relationships. It's about mindsets - which has nothing to do with the color/design of the chariot that people were driving around in.

look at the 10 commandments:
don't lie, don't cheat, don't steal, don't be jealous, don't kill one another - the point of all of it is how to treat one another...

you might as well ask "Why doesn't the Bible give a recipe for apple pie? there's no apple pie recipe in it, so it must be false... by that logic, all books that do not include a recipe for apple pie are false...
you are getting bogged down in the details, I think you get the point - they did not have the vocabulary to describe what they saw - and the point of what they saw was not the technology anyways. The point is about character / how to react / inter-personal relationships. It's about mindsets - which has nothing to do with the color/design of the chariot that people were driving around in.

look at the 10 commandments:
don't lie, don't cheat, don't steal, don't be jealous, don't kill one another - the point of all of it is how to treat one another...

you might as well ask "Why doesn't the Bible give a recipe for apple pie? there's no apple pie recipe in it, so it must be false... by that logic, all books that do not include a recipe for apple pie are false...

In the KJV it rightly says: "...And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Set you free is like releasing you from prison or somebody's custody. Making you free is that you are now able think freely. Jesus said He is THE TRUTH. When we know Jesus as He should be known by Him, that makes one free of errors of the mind/heart.

rusra02

Premium Member
Why doesn't the bible mention, aeroplanes, electricity, gunpowder, Nuclear fission, Space Shuttle. Space Stations, motorcars, aircraft carriers, vaccines, skyscrapers, cruiseliners, mosques, machine guns, nuclear weapons or billions of other things that have occurred since it was written, if it has so many prophecies in it and god knows all? Why didn't god mention any of this stuff when telling the authors what to write? Is it because god didn't know all this stuff, or he didn't tell anyone what to write, or he just doesn't exist and these are really the stories of bronze age goatherds?:confused:
What Jehovah has prophesied concerns mankind's future, and events that he will bring about. I believe all this "stuff" discovered since the Bible's completion are irrelevant to the ultimate out working of God's purpose. What is truly important for all mankind to know is available to us in the Bible. (2 Timothy 3:16,17)

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I probably said this earlier, but the Bible was written for people: Why would they bother speaking about things that hadn't been invented yet? What would the purpose of that?

Why doesn't the bible mention, aeroplanes, electricity, gunpowder, Nuclear fission, Space Shuttle. Space Stations, motorcars, aircraft carriers, vaccines, skyscrapers, cruiseliners, mosques, machine guns, nuclear weapons or billions of other things that have occurred since it was written, if it has so many prophecies in it and god knows all? Why didn't god mention any of this stuff when telling the authors what to write? Is it because god didn't know all this stuff, or he didn't tell anyone what to write, or he just doesn't exist and these are really the stories of bronze age goatherds?:confused:

Maybe civilization is doomed to collapse and the technology we enjoy today is a passing thing that will not last until the end days, so why mention it? On the other hand, the guys who made all this up couldn't see the future anymore than anyone else can.

I probably said this earlier, but the Bible was written for people: Why would they bother speaking about things that hadn't been invented yet? What would the purpose of that?

What is the purpose of the bible? What is the one, most important thing that the bible tells people they should do?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
What is the purpose of the bible? What is the one, most important thing that the bible tells people they should do?
No, not exactly. It mostly has stories about men and women who followed God, prophecy, poetry, proverbs, etc. It isn't truly a out and out "rule book".

Where did you get that?

I got that from your reply. I asked what the most important thing a person should do, as instructed by the bible, and you said it wasn't a rule book. You said the bible is just some stories from ancient times. When I read the bible it was very clear in the new testament that you loved and accepted Christ as the son of god and your savior or you get thrown into the lake of fire like trash. That's the message I got from it anyway.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I got that from your reply. I asked what the most important thing a person should do, as instructed by the bible, and you said it wasn't a rule book. You said the bible is just some stories from ancient times. When I read the bible it was very clear in the new testament that you loved and accepted Christ as the son of god and your savior or you get thrown into the lake of fire like trash. That's the message I got from it anyway.
I don't think that is what I said or even insinuated. On top of that, I was speaking mostly of the Tanakh (aka the Old Testament). The Christian scriptures are for teaching about Yeshua: If we want to follow His commands, we have to know them in the first place.
I don't wish to discuss anything in Revelation here at the RF, and that includes all that "lake of fire" and all that. I believe it is symbolic, anyway (Revelation, that is). I don't want to take the time to discuss all the various interpretations I've heard about it.
I also don't preach Yeshua's message here at the RF. I just discuss that I believe it, clear up any misconceptions I see, and answer questions about my faith. :)

I don't think that is what I said or even insinuated. On top of that, I was speaking mostly of the Tanakh (aka the Old Testament). The Christian scriptures are for teaching about Yeshua: If we want to follow His commands, we have to know them in the first place.
I don't wish to discuss anything in Revelation here at the RF, and that includes all that "lake of fire" and all that. I believe it is symbolic, anyway (Revelation, that is). I don't want to take the time to discuss all the various interpretations I've heard about it.
I also don't preach Yeshua's message here at the RF. I just discuss that I believe it, clear up any misconceptions I see, and answer questions about my faith. :)

So, for you the bible has no purpose?

Etritonakin

Actually, the bible does describe some "modern" things -but does not use the modern names for them.
Even then, the writers did not necessarily understand the things which they were given to write -or which were otherwise recorded.

Having people of those times write "Automobile" or "Nuclear Reactor" would have been rather challenging. Not for God, but for the people given their language and knowledge at the time.
It is also true that specifics are not necessarily important to the point.

(Our languages change to represent and describe our present state. Interestingly, God has a "pure" language prepared for us.
Zep 3:9 For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve him with one consent.)

Here are some verses describing modern situations and even super-human technology ....

Dan 12:4 But thou, O Daniel, shut up the words, and seal the book, even to the time of the end: many shall run to and fro, and knowledge shall be increased.

Mat 24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
Mat 24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved:.....

(No actual mention of nuclear weapons -but only now is the above possible)

Most have heard of the flying saucers in Ezekiel's vision.... notice the phrase "and their work" -meaning that they were crafted/produced...
Eze 1:16 The appearance of the wheels and their work was like unto the colour of a beryl: and they four had one likeness: and their appearance and their work was as it were a wheel in the middle of a wheel.
Eze 1:17 When they went, they went upon their four sides: and they turned not when they went.

Revelation describes locusts and horses (and horsemen that sat on them) by which are killed a third part of mankind. The horsemen are described as an army numbering 200 million (though not necessarily all of the same nation's army) -also only possible in modern times. Their descriptions are much like modern war machines -tanks, helicopters, chemical warfare -but the one who wrote down the vision would not have seen such things in real life or had modern words to describe them.
The color of the breastplates is also interesting. It describes them as having three colors -"fire, and of jacinth, and brimstone" -which are basically the primary colors -yellow, blue and red. However, when those colors are mixed in equal proportion, "army drab" is the result.

Rev 9:3 And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.
Rev 9:4 And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads. Rev 9:5 And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man.
Rev 9:6 And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.
Rev 9:7 And the shapes of the locusts were like unto horses prepared unto battle; and on their heads were as it were crowns like gold, and their faces were as the faces of men.
Rev 9:8 And they had hair as the hair of women, and their teeth were as the teeth of lions.
Rev 9:9 And they had breastplates, as it were breastplates of iron; and the sound of their wings was as the sound of chariots of many horses running to battle.
Rev 9:10 And they had tails like unto scorpions, and there were stings in their tails: and their power was to hurt men five months.

Rev 9:11 And they had a king over them, which is the angel of the bottomless pit, whose name in the Hebrew tongue is Abaddon, but in the Greek tongue hath his name Apollyon.
Rev 9:12 One woe is past; and, behold, there come two woes more hereafter.
Rev 9:13 And the sixth angel sounded, and I heard a voice from the four horns of the golden altar which is before God,
Rev 9:14 Saying to the sixth angel which had the trumpet, Loose the four angels which are bound in the great river Euphrates.
Rev 9:15 And the four angels were loosed, which were prepared for an hour, and a day, and a month, and a year, for to slay the third part of men.
Rev 9:16 And the number of the army of the horsemen were two hundred thousand thousand: and I heard the number of them.

Rev 9:17 And thus I saw the horses in the vision, and them that sat on them, having breastplates of fire, and of jacinth, and brimstone: and the heads of the horses were as the heads of lions; and out of their mouths issued fire and smoke and brimstone.
Rev 9:18 By these three was the third part of men killed, by the fire, and by the smoke, and by the brimstone, which issued out of their mouths.
Rev 9:19 For their power is in their mouth, and in their tails: for their tails were like unto serpents, and had heads, and with them they do hurt.

Some believe the following to be due to radiation (Some say "Chernobyl" is Ukrainian for "Wormwood" [artemisia absinthium] and Russian for a related species [mugwort -artemisia vulgaris] -but I'm not Ukrainian or Russian, so I don't really know. This is not to say that event fulfilled this prophecy, however, as a third of rivers were not affected. It is at least interesting that wormwood and radiation would be closely linked by by that disaster in modern times.)

Rev 8:10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;
Rev 8:11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

...and that is after a third of ships and a third of sea life are destroyed by what some think might be either a large meteor or part of a large volcano sliding into the sea and causing a tsunami -but I don't know if a tsunami from one volcano could do all of that.

Rev 8:7 The first angel sounded, and there followed hail and fire mingled with blood, and they were cast upon the earth: and the third part of trees was burnt up, and all green grass was burnt up.
Rev 8:8 And the second angel sounded, and as it were a great mountain burning with fire was cast into the sea: and the third part of the sea became blood;
Rev 8:9 And the third part of the creatures which were in the sea, and had life, died; and the third part of the ships were destroyed.

Notice above... they had a word for "ships" at the time -but would not have had words for "Tanks" or "Attack Helicopters"

The following refers to spiritual power similar to radio....
Eph 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
.....as spirits have power to do such things as put words and ideas into peoples' minds.... for example...
"2Ch 18:21 And he said, I will go out, and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets."
and
"1Ch 21:1 And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel."

(Those verses and their context describe an interesting relationship between God and the sinning angels -which requires no little bit of understanding. Other verses do make things more clear, however.)

Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days (actually literally correct, as the bread will be broken down, but it's components may again become bread -thought that was interesting)

(Joel 2 is also an interesting read!)

Last edited:

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!

Hi.....
Well, the bible didn't need to foretell stuff like rocket motors, jets, or spaceships because they were already around. If you read the description of Elijah being taken up and away then you'll see what I mean.

Just saying......