• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Don’t You Believe Jesus Rose From The Grave?

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
Isn't it clear that there are numerous contradictions and scientific inaccuracies in the Bible?
According to the Bible, which is considered to be the word of God, the creator did the following as mentioned in 1 Chronicles 16:30: "He has fixed the earth firm, immovable."
It's difficult to believe in the resurrection of Jesus when the creator of the universe seems to lack basic knowledge of Astronomy, despite the claim that the Bible represents God's word. It seems evident that this is a fundamental oversight on the part of the Creator, who should possess knowledge of Astronomy.
800 errors in a Book that is Gods word and I am supposed to believe the part about the resurrection

No, you're not supposed to believe anything other than what has been placed on you to believe. I couldn't care less about how you view the life, death, and resurrection of the man named Jesus. I couldn't care less about how you view the bible, nor how you are unwilling to divide the content of it and separate the truth from error. It would be nice if a little intellectual honesty was displayed, but again ... This is not required nor expected. While truth comes in many forms and in many texts and through many people, no one really expects you believe anything other than what you're capable of believing. Brain games, perception and how we process data, including old texts isn't something many understand, but ... you are a thinking being and able according to own unique ability. You simply may not be able to effectively process and interpret things not meant for you to accurately interpret. That's ok, these aren't your roots anyway. They are mine, and I don't really care what you might think you understand about them.

firedragon

Veteran Member
No, you're not supposed to believe anything other than what has been placed on you to believe. I couldn't care less about how you view the life, death, and resurrection of the man named Jesus. I couldn't care less about how you view the bible, nor how you are unwilling to divide the content of it and separate the truth from error. It would be nice if a little intellectual honesty was displayed, but again ... This is not required nor expected. While truth comes in many forms and in many texts and through many people, no one really expects you believe anything other than what you're capable of believing. Brain games, perception and how we process data, including old texts isn't something many understand, but ... you are a thinking being and able according to own unique ability. You simply may not be able to effectively process and interpret things not meant for you to accurately interpret. That's ok, these aren't your roots anyway. They are mine, and I don't really care what you might think you understand about them.
You don't care. You just wish to believe with no care of what is truth?

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
They don't. :)

The thing is .. when somebody is sent for execution, what happens is in the hands of the executioner.
However, G-d is able to do all things.

..and that includes save him from his enemies.
It is indeed possible, that it appeared to be the case, that he died on the cross, but in fact did not.
That would explain why he asked a disciple to feel his wounds .. no?
They do. I’ve asked enough of them.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
He did come out of his grave. Even Lazarus came out of his grave. He was counted among the dead, just like Lazarus was counted among the dead. He lived through a crucifixion was placed in his catacomb cave to live the rest of his short life in pain, suffocating, starving and of dehydration. He was counted among the dead, but someone removed the stone and like Lazarus, he walked out ... somehow. He was so badly beaten, his own people didn't even recognize him. An angel of the Lord did it, who sat on top the stone they moved afterward, as if daring anyone to challenge him/her. The soldiers guarding the tomb laying dead in front of it. That's what the bible states about it anyway. How could he have died if he walked out? Why didn't his people recognize him if he wasn't beaten that badly? He was certainly expected to die and counted as such, but he lived ... obviously.
He had a new body.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
You don't care. You just wish to believe with no care of what is truth?
I stated the exact opposite of what you just accused me of, even in my first post. But, you are correct in my not caring what those not part of my faith believe. I don't even try to explain much anymore, at least without sincerity attached to the inquires and even then, I am more hesitant than not...at least when it comes to younger people still under parental households. Honor your mother and father is expected of me, so I fall short of proselytizing and explanations to those belonging to other religions. They're expected to do the same, so ... That makes it easier for me to discern appropriate times to inform other types of people, if at all. I'm typically just at odds with my own household due to our disagreements in understanding. Beyond them, I don't care what anyone holds as a belief system. They don't belong to the mansion I myself am part of. They have enough worries of their own, as do I.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I stated the exact opposite of what you just accused me of, even in my first post. But, you are correct in my not caring what those not part of my faith believe. I don't even try to explain much anymore, at least without sincerity attached to the inquires and even then, I am more hesitant than not...at least when it comes to younger people still under parental households. Honor your mother and father is expected of me, so I fall short of proselytizing and explanations to those belonging to other religions. They're expected to do the same, so ... That makes it easier for me to discern appropriate times to inform other types of people, if at all. I'm typically just at odds with my own household due to our disagreements in understanding. Beyond them, I don't care what anyone holds as a belief system. They don't belong to the mansion I myself am part of. They have enough worries of their own, as do I.
So bottomline seems to be that you don't care about truth. You just believe something.

Balthazzar

Christian Evolutionist
So bottomline seems to be that you don't care about truth. You just believe something.
If this is what you would like to think or how you choose to play this one, that's your choice. I don't think it necessary to defend my position, given you don't seem to have the comprehension ability to understand it or enough intellectual honesty to acknowledge it. That's fine.

Did you know that strawberries have around 223 ~`seeds on them? It's an approximation, and I'm not sure why, but it's true. Haha .. At least, I choose to believe it's true, but I base this on what I've read about it and how they appear visually. I don't bother counting. I guess I have other things that require my attention more than counting seeds, which reminds me. I've got some peach seeds going through cold stratification. I'm not sure if they've rooted yet. The things we gotta deal with in life, or rather choose to. I keep forgetting I'm a free agent.

Have you listened to this one?

F1fan

Veteran Member
It's usually interpretations of history.
History tends to have so many elements that writers have options about what to focus on. In the modern age there is no reason to assume the Gospels, and Bible as a whole, relays accurate history at face value. That some stories include real places, and even real people, does not mean or suggest it's all true. Dickens A Tale of Two Cities is fictional but is set in both London and paris. For Whom The Bell Tolls follows fictional Characetrs during the Spanish Civil War. The book The Cauldron is about a fictional British unit during the battle of Arnhem in September, 1944.
I'm not as important as that. However what you said highlights the fact that people of different beliefs probably start with different assumptions and don't realise it and make logical fallacies without realising it. And of course Christians do that also.
Thanls for this confession. Now, will you allow yourself to apply it to your thinking and belief? I doubt it, as you have been told these things before and it made no difference.
It is my belief, and your belief is that it was not the supernatural and that people somewhere along the way lied about it, exaggerated it or however else you want to put it.
Why do you need and/or want to believe in a supernatural at all? It's been explained to you that tere's no evidence of any supernatural phenomenon existing.

As you admit, it's your belief. But you seem powerless to change your decision. It appears to be like an addiction to belief in this set of ideas, and being afraid of what you might be without it. This is how Christianity and Ilslam have exploited the natural naivte of humans and manipulated their fears. Religious belief is how these manipulated folks cope with the fears religion inflates.
That sounds like an assumption, based on your beliefs.
This is projection. Sorry, it's a fact that no supernatural phenomenon is known to exist. Feel free to offer actual, verifiable expamples. No beliefs, no assumptions, no dogma, actual examples. If you can't offer any examples of real supernatural phenomenon, then there is no reason for anyone to believe it's real.
Scholars seem trapped into rejecting the supernatural even when they are to be neutral about it.
This is your dogma talking. Typical to vilify experts and fact-finding by theists who feel threatened. Why not be self-aware of your fear of being wrong and adjust your religious beliefs instead?
Critical thinkers also reject the supernatural and evidence for the supernatural until the existence of the supernatural is proven.
I asked you for examples, and if you have none, then it is sound thinking to reject the claims of a supernatural existing. And you are dead wrong to assume it too.
Any supernatural in the Bible is assumed to have been caused by lies, and this includes prophecies that appear to have come true.
No, ancient people often wrote in an embellished and abstract form. The Enlightenment exposed thos form of writing as more prose than history. And the only liars are modern believers who insist the ancient texts are true at face value, and any critic is flawed in some way for acknowledging reality. You can place yourself in that category if you prefer.
So critical thinkers are trapped into rejecting the truth of scriptures.
More projection. How is being a rational thinking that seeks truth trapped in any way? As I noted, the trap is the religious dogma that believers can't escape from.

And let's note that you reject the truth of the Quran, yes?
True, Christians have not proven the truth of the gospels imo. It is a matter of faith. In like manner, non believers have not proven that the gospels are not true, it is again a matter of faith.
Then how can you write the statement in the previous quote by referring to the scriptures as "truth" that is rejected by critical thinkers? You admit it's accepted on faith which isn't what critical thinkers do. See how you have very sloppy and careless thinking?
You might demand proof from believers but that is just a game or proselytizing while of course acting innocent of that.
You are being evasive and making exuses.
That is not how "faith" works, but that is probably a dirty word to you and you like to think that if I cannot prove the gospels that means they are not true. This of course is not logical at all and neglects the fact that you cannot prove your world godless world view but are prepared to live a life as if that world view is true.
Yet you offer no clarity of what you think faith is. I suggest that I'm correct and you don't like that faith is unreliable and non-rational. Muslims have faith too, and they can justify anything they want since faith offers no standard to distill truth from irrational dogma.
However I did arrive at and stay in it by seeing that attacks against it usually have no basis in fact.
Notice you didn't say that you remain committed because the dogma you were taught is fact based. And as one indoctrinated in dogma can you concede that you might be biased against any criticism, and the facts against your dogma?

It's just a statement against a false understanding of the Gospel and against using that false understanding to attack the truth of the Gospel.
Which of the many thousands of Christian sects has the "true understanding"of the Gospels? And what is your interpretation of the Gospels, and what facts support your conclusion? Critical thinkers don't assume the stories are true at face value, and their inconsistency is not ignored.
Critical thinking dogma could be that the supernatural is to be rejected until proven to be true.
Are you labeling critical thiking as dogma? More projection. What your comment tells us is that you acknowledge that dogma is a negative thing. You don't deny having dogma, just try to impose it onto critical thinking. This is an obvious rewactionary mistake on your part, and reveals you are not taking your time to understand the critisms and considering valid retorts.
I believe the story of Jesus is true and you cannot show it is not true. OK.
Why do you believe it's true? Remember, the logical default is to reject claims until they can be demonstrated as true, or at least likely true.
You believe the story of Jesus is not true and I cannot show it is true.
Bad wording, as I have no such belief. The Bible itself has many fantastic elements that aren't factual, so can be doubted at face value. The Jesus myth is not plausible, and requires an assumption of a supernatural working behind the scenes, of which there is no evdience. And the theoology of the Jesus story is absurd, as why would a God need to impregnate a women, so the son grows up, only to be executed later so God can have a sacrifice that allows the forgiving of the sins of mankind? God could just have forgiven the sins without all that drama. What was the point of torturing some poor guy when God didn't really need to? So if a person believes all this it surely does not leave a very good impression of Yahweh. Oh, and let's not forget that Yahweh was an old Cannanite god that was part of a system of other gods, including his partner Ashera. Whatever happened to her?
Sounds like a draw and we are both entitled to our beliefs.
You face off with critical thinkers like it's a gunfight at high noon. But you forgot bullets. Oh, and you forgot your gun, too. Yeah, go ahead and call it a draw. You seem to need to comfort of even more irrational belief.

HonestJoe

Feel free to share your thoughts.
Exactly the same kind of reasons I don't believe extra-terrestrials crashed at Roswell, Nostradamus actually predicted the future, ghost haunt the old hospital I used to work at or my Grandfather was able to conjure coin from my ear.

The claimed events or actions contradict previous observations or conclusions, and they aren't supported by sufficient evidence to convince me of their truth and, typically, don't even have a singular consistent hypothesis to test any proposed evidence against. Note that this isn't the same as denying something as being possible, just not believing, on the balance of evidence, that it is true.

The interesting answer would be why do you? Note that something along the lines of "Because the Bible says so" or "Because I have faith" doesn't really cut through to the core reasoning for your individual belief.

King Phenomenon

Veteran Member
Exactly the same kind of reasons I don't believe extra-terrestrials crashed at Roswell, Nostradamus actually predicted the future, ghost haunt the old hospital I used to work at or my Grandfather was able to conjure coin from my ear.

The claimed events or actions contradict previous observations or conclusions, and they aren't supported by sufficient evidence to convince me of their truth and, typically, don't even have a singular consistent hypothesis to test any proposed evidence against. Note that this isn't the same as denying something as being possible, just not believing, on the balance of evidence, that it is true.

The interesting answer would be why do you? Note that something along the lines of "Because the Bible says so" or "Because I have faith" doesn't really cut through to the core reasoning for your individual belief.
Nothing I would say would satisfy you,

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
And your glasses make you look so intelligent. I guess they must be because you are half blind.
Insult me all you want; at the end of the day you have not convinced me that I should bother with what you think about me.

Regardless, the claims for a historical Jesus are so flimsy that I have to wonder if the people who make them realize that the existence of early Christianity isn't in itself decisive evidence for such a person having existed.

If you read the Gospels, they work a lot better if Jesus is understood to have always been fictional.

Explains, among other things, how come the 12 years old boy vanishes from sight, returns eighteen years later, and there isn't even any attempt to explain how come they know it is the same person.

You may find the case for a historical Jesus convincing, @Brian2 . That is your privilege to exert. But I sure do not, and I am not about to ask for your permission or support.

All the best.

muhammad_isa

They do. I’ve asked enough of them.
What .. Christians, you mean?
I refer to the human race in general..

..and I note you have not addressed the issue i.e. as to why I don't believe Jesus 'rose from the dead'

I'm not saying that he couldn't have done, but to end up making religion revolve around it?
That is not what Jesus is reported to have preached in the Gospels.

Honestly? It's not that I don't believe but the fact that I just wasn't there, so rationally I don't know what exactly happened. But as a matter of faith I know something happened. I don't know if it was a physical phenomena or a spiritual or symbolic event but the only thing that matters since what the event represents and means. So I am not going to get fundamentalist about it because fundamentalists are fundamentally in error for taking the Bible literally in the first place.

rocala

Explains, among other things, how come the 12 years old boy vanishes from sight, returns eighteen years later, and there isn't even any attempt to explain how come they know it is the same person.
Hmmm a good point Luis. I have long wondered about the missing years. As a story its patchiness seems to make it more plausible. Fiction would likely be a little more creative.

I suspect that the most likely scenario is that his life during that period did not fit in with the overall narrative. Probably got married and had kids and maybe family dies in an epidemic and like many grief stricken people, he turns spiritual.