• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Dont Christians Accept the Book of Mormon as Valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MotoEric

Madhatter,

So it seems that my earlier assessment is true. You are not actually looking for the opinions of others for any purpose other than to provide you with a jumping off place for rebuttals, refutations and proselytizing.

Am I missing the mark here?

Eric

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Madhatter,

So it seems that my earlier assessment is true. You are not actually looking for the opinions of others for any purpose other than to provide you with a jumping off place for rebuttals, refutations and proselytizing.

Eric

Seems like you are describing a debate...
and this is a debate forum.:yes:

Discussions take place in Discussion forums.

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Madhatter,

Eric

no not missing the mark at all, i love debating, i'm argumentive by nature and this is a good place for me to harness it. ;)

Scott1

I would suggest reading the Book of Mormon, and prayign about it.

Of course Catholics would never accept the book of mormon, even if they knew it was true, because then it would make them wrong, and catholicism would dissolve.
Just FYI .... been there done that.... but the Holy Spirit moved me to investigate the "visions" and testimony of Joseph Smith.... belief that he is a fraud led me to deny the BOM.... if I thought it was the true word of God I would be a LDS in a heartbeat.... all we as Catholics care about is the truth--- wherever it comes from.

Immaculata pray for us,
S

madhatter85

Transhumanist
Just FYI .... been there done that.... but the Holy Spirit moved me to investigate the "visions" and testimony of Joseph Smith.... belief that he is a fraud led me to deny the BOM.... if I thought it was the true word of God I would be a LDS in a heartbeat.... all we as Catholics care about is the truth--- wherever it comes from.

Immaculata pray for us,
S

But you've never read the Book of Mormon, based on your assumption that Joseph Smith was a Fraud? ok. Did you sit down and actually Pray with a desire to know the truth about the "visions" or did you just immediately assume it?

Hope

Princesinha

Immaculata pray for us,
S

I echo Scott's sentiments. Minus the Catholic part, of course. ;)

Normally, if Christians reject the Book of Mormon, it's because they have very valid reasons for doing so. Not because they've been brainwashed, or told to, or misunderstand Mormonism.

Hope

Princesinha
But you've never read the Book of Mormon, based on your assumption that Joseph Smith was a Fraud? ok. Did you sit down and actually Pray with a desire to know the truth about the "visions" or did you just immediately assume it?

The same question could be pointed back at you. Have you ever sat down and actually prayed with a desire to know the truth about the visions, willing to hear a different answer than the one you assume?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
I echo Scott's sentiments. Minus the Catholic part, of course. ;)

Normally, if Christians reject the Book of Mormon, it's because they have very valid reasons for doing so. Not because they've been brainwashed, or told to, or misunderstand Mormonism.
I'm not really sure what constitutes a "valid" reason for rejecting either the Bible or the Book of Mormon. Clearly a lot of people reject both books and feel that their reasons are valid. I would bet my paycheck, though, that most of the people who reject the Book of Mormon have never read it, or have read it with the intention of picking it apart. In terms of what it teaches, there really isn't much for most Christians to object to. Dawny, for example, has read a fairly good part of it and, while she remains unconvinced of its divine origins, has said on more than one occasion that she hasn't found anything in it to raise any red flags.

I also think that most people who reject the Book of Mormon reject not its content, but its existence. That's the thing that baffles me.

Scott1

I read the BOM for years.... older LDS members on this forum know that I'm one of the few non-LDS Christians ON THE PLANET who knows it well enough to quote from it. I actually love the book.

My education and prayer about Smith came after I fell in love with the book.... I don't assume anything my friend.... I look for truth.
Hope said:
The same question could be pointed back at you. Have you ever sat down and actually prayed with a desire to know the truth about the visions, willing to hear a different answer than the one you assume?
Hehe... yeah I should ask that... any of you pray the rosary while asking if Mr. Smith was a fraud? Worked for me... maybe you should try it....:p just kidding.

Peace be with you,
S

Hope

Princesinha
I'm not really sure what constitutes a "valid" reason for rejecting either the Bible or the Book of Mormon. Clearly a lot of people reject both books and feel that their reasons are valid. I would bet my paycheck, though, that most of the people who reject the Book of Mormon have never read it, or have read it with the intention of picking it apart. In terms of what it teaches, there really isn't much for most Christians to object to. Dawny, for example, has read a fairly good part of it and, while she remains unconvinced of its divine origins, has said on more than one occasion that she hasn't found anything in it to raise any red flags.

I also think that most people who reject the Book of Mormon reject not its content, but its existence. That's the thing that baffles me.

I admire and respect Dawny very much, but just because she accepts the Book of Mormon doesn't mean I should. :D

One thing that I've learned as I've matured in my walk with God is the importance of discernment. If I'm not discerning in my faith, then I'm more open to deception. I don't even accept popular teachings and doctrines within mainline Christianity without examining them in light of the Bible first. If they don't line up with the Bible, then I don't care how nice or good they sound, I can't accept them.

I confess I haven't read the Book of Mormon. Maybe I will. But just from the discussions I've had with you and other Mormons here on RF, I've realized many of the doctrines you believe are contrary to Scripture, and therefore I can't accept them, or the Mormon faith as a whole.

I've said before I have tons of respect and admiration for most Mormons. So my rejection of many of the doctrines you believe is nothing personal. :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
It's My Birthday!
I admire and respect Dawny very much, but just because she accepts the Book of Mormon doesn't mean I should. :D
I didn't mean to mislead you. Dawny doesn't "accept" the Book of Mormon.

One thing that I've learned as I've matured in my walk with God is the importance of discernment. If I'm not discerning in my faith, then I'm more open to deception. I don't even accept popular teachings and doctrines within mainline Christianity without examining them in light of the Bible first. If they don't line up with the Bible, then I don't care how nice or good they sound, I can't accept them.
That's very admirable. Seriously.

I confess I haven't read the Book of Mormon. Maybe I will. But just from the discussions I've had with you and other Mormons here on RF, I've realized many of the doctrines you believe are contrary to Scripture, and therefore I can't accept them, or the Mormon faith as a whole.
They are probably contrary to your interpretation of scripture. If that's the case, I can understand why you would reject them.

I've said before I have tons of respect and admiration for most Mormons. So my rejection of many of the doctrines you believe is nothing personal. :)
Thank you. I understand and don't take it personally at all. :)

joeboonda

I won't mind jumping into the conversation about the actual contents of the movie itself if anyone is willing to watch it.

SoyLeche

meh...
I won't mind jumping into the conversation about the actual contents of the movie itself if anyone is willing to watch it.
Then bring up some of the contents of the movie. Like I've said - we've heard them all before. We don't need to watch the video to know what it says. Ask away.

madhatter85

Transhumanist

I have been inactive in my faith for 7 years untill very recently, I got to see a whole new side of things, and i cannot deny my own experiences and what i know to be true.

Yes, i have prayed about the whole thing and i know with a sureity that it is true.

Honestly i doubted it many times. but, I know for a fact it's true.

Smoke

Done here.
For a second there, I thought you were talking about a dramatization of the Book of Mormon. But you mean one of those Living Hope Ministries videos, right?

I've tried to watch that Bible vs. the Book of Mormon video a few times, but I never get more than about a minute and a half into it before I lose interest. Nice landscape around Brigham City, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.