• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't people dress in suits or stylishly anymore ?

VoidCat

Use any and all pronouns including neo and it/it's
I never did

The only time I have ever worn a suit was to my graduation ceremony
I wore a men's suit to the winter formal at my high school! Also wore high heels and make up. I looked amazing. Tho i had several people make harsh commemts about cuz they werent sure of my gender.

That winter formal was traumatic. A girl got assaulted during and I had to give another girl resources for homeless teens because someone told their parents they were a lesbian and so they got kicked out.

But i at least looked stylish.

JustGeorge

Imperfect
Staff member
Premium Member
I wore a men's suit to the winter formal at my high school! Also wore high heels and make up. I looked amazing. Tho i had several people make harsh commemts about cuz they werent sure of my gender.

That winter formal was traumatic. A girl got assaulted during and I had to give another girl resources for homeless teens because someone told their parents they were a lesbian and so they got kicked out.

But i at least looked stylish.
I wore black wings to my prom.

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member
So sloppy is good for you while women have to dress nice for you? Sounds kind of sexist to me

I did say sloppy at home is good but if you’re out for dinner or a night out it would be more pleasing if she wore something nice,what’s wrong with that?.
What's there to say?

Gun to my head I agree with @England my lionheart also

But I would never expect it, nor dictate it.

Dictating a woman’s dressing is a no go,3 Sisters “how do I look”, me “wow you look really nice”,sister “you’re just saying that”.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
My impression is that there was a gradual change in values as transportation, residences and daily routine also changed and created certain pressures. Even most politicians rarely use neckties anymore unless there is some clear reason why they should.

The general rise in variety of reasons for spending money is probably a factor as well. As is the wider acceptance of a variety of dressing styles, which can't help but make the perception of the need for formal dress somewhat weaker.

Then there is the advancement in materials. Some fabrics that are very cost-effective and long-lasting such as microfibre arose in recent decades and made it practical to have useful, lasting clothing that is not always formal, classical or expensive.

I would believe that some influential moments with at least one leg in fashion ended up making significant numbers of people actively avoid looking too well trimmed and/or formal. Beatniks, hippies, punks and grunges come to mind. Each new wave amounted to further encouragement to dress as one pleases instead of necessarily how others would expect or prefer.

Generally speaking, the trend in recent decades has been towards better acceptance of individuality and its expression in various ways, including fashion.

Frankly, it is only a problem if one expected otherwise.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I did say sloppy at home is good but if you’re out for dinner or a night out it would be more pleasing if she wore something nice,what’s wrong with that?.

No you didn't, what you sid was...

"I actually like wearing smart clothes for occasions that I deem worthy of it but sloppy at home is all good,I appreciate a woman in a nice dress though,who wouldn’t"

VoidCat

I do, but it's a physical photograph. I'm not sure how clear it will turn out, but I'll try.
A photo of me looking stylish
Screenshot_2024-10-14-17-37-28~2.png

Hairs grown out since i took it.

VoidCat

I used to wear cat ears and a cat tail sometimes. Had a black dress with slits in the legs I'd wear with it, and fishnet stockings and knee high platform boots.
I love my cat ears and tail. It gets a lot of compliments and such. I dont like the comments and looks some people give but overall it's been a positive experience. I can't wait till I have the money for other kinds of costumes