• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don't Theist's admit that there's no evidence for God?

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
That existence of the ticket doesn't make the winner pre-determined... Nobody knows which ticket is the winner until the winning numbers are selected AT RANDOM. It's not like there are people in the Powerball office going "I think Bob from Milwaukee deserves to win this time".

Lotteries aren't completely random, friend. You have to buy a ticket. That's a condition, that if it didn't happen, would not result in a possible win. If I don't buy a ticket, or there is no lottery, and I win, then you can say there was nothing to predetermine my win. It was random.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
The contestants participating may be predetermined (that much wasn't even up for debate), but the winner is not. Your theist Jedi mind tricks don't live here.

nash8

Da man, when I walk thru!
So you are saying the laws of physics can cease? Please tell me when this has happened

You can send me a P.M. on this, cuz I know it's totally random, but what's your opinion on HJ vs. MJ now?

The laws of physics aren't everything. Winning the lottery or a poker game have nothing to do with physics, and generally aren't thought of as pre-determined events.

I would disagree with you on this, I believe they are predetermined in the sense that if x conditions are met, then y will win the lottery. But the calculations involved are so astronomical, and humans affect quantum mechanics, not the laws themselves, that there is no way humans could ever even begin to predict how it happens.

Or the Illuminati controls the numbers chosen and always determines that the winner will be a person of extremely low IQ, and will consequently blow 120 million dollars within 3 years.

After further inspection I find explanation 2 far more plausible based on established evidence :D.

It's a blurry line, yet we've already placed things around it? What's the point in having a word with a blurry definition?

It honestly looks to me like you would argue anything, as long as it was opposed to whatever I say, so I'll leave you be. I agree to disagree and move on.

Every definition has blurry lines. I encourage you to find me a single word in the English language that only has one explination.

That existence of the ticket doesn't make the winner pre-determined... Nobody knows which ticket is the winner until the winning numbers are selected AT RANDOM. It's not like there are people in the Powerball office going "I think Bob from Milwaukee deserves to win this time".

Refer to reply listed above lol.

Sleeppy

You can send me a P.M. on this, cuz I know it's totally random, but what's your opinion on HJ vs. MJ now?

I would disagree with you on this, I believe they are predetermined in the sense that if x conditions are met, then y will win the lottery. But the calculations involved are so astronomical, and humans affect quantum mechanics, not the laws themselves, that there is no way humans could ever even begin to predict how it happens.

Or the Illuminati controls the numbers chosen and always determines that the winner will be a person of extremely low IQ, and will consequently blow 120 million dollars within 3 years.

After further inspection I find explanation 2 far more plausible based on established evidence :D.

Every definition has blurry lines. I encourage you to find me a single word in the English language that only has one explination.

Refer to reply listed above lol.

Find me a word that can't be applied intellectually. Is it 'sentient'?

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus

a·ru·gu·la [uh-roo-guh-luh] Show IPA
noun
a Mediterranean plant, Eruca vesicaria sativa, of the mustard family, having pungent leaves used in salads.

Done and done.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus

Making an equation for a hypothetical situation doesn't mean you can be assured of the specific outcome (Bob from Milwaukee). The only thing proven by that equation is that there will be a winner, and again that was not up for debate. Who actually wins is completely random.

Quantum mechanics is nonsense and it makes my head hurt... The only purpose served by quantum theory is making your friends hate you for talking about it. Schrodinger's cat; my ***...

PS- I am the Illuminati:D

Sleeppy

The contestants participating may be predetermined (that much wasn't even up for debate), but the winner is not. Your theist Jedi mind tricks don't live here.

You're arguing for the complete randomness of the selected numbers.. However, those have conditions as well. Anything having a precondition is not random. Perfect example is flipping a quarter. Which side does it land on more often?

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
You're arguing for the complete randomness of the selected numbers.. However, those have conditions as well. Anything having a precondition is not random. Perfect example is flipping a quarter. Which side does it land on more often?

Your walking into the land of probability which really should never enter a theistic debate. And what do you mean about preconditions? Within any given parameters generally there is some degree of statistical randomness.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
You'd have to examine the thing popping out the numbers, and the numbers themselves.

You're assuming that there's some intelligence manipulating the outcome. Assuming the lottery is played fairly with no human interference, it is completely random.

Sleeppy

Your walking into the land of probability which really should never enter a theistic debate. And what do you mean about preconditions? Within any given parameters generally there is some degree of statistical randomness.

No probability talk. Just randomness talk? Ok.

I'm a man. Can I randomly become a dog?

Sleeppy

You're assuming that there's some intelligence manipulating the outcome. Assuming the lottery is played fairly with no human interference, it is completely random.

Computers manipulate as well. The randomness you're referring to doesn't exist in reality as far as I know. Neither could it exist.

Sleeppy

No. But that has zero Bering on the probability and statistics of the lottery ticket.

I have a toaster. It does not spontaneously turn into a zebra.

Actually it does.. As a man, I cannot do anything not of a man. There is no probability, random, or otherwise that I'll become a dog.

Likewise, whatever determines the lottery numbers functions according to its precondition(s).

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Actually it does.. As a man, I cannot do anything not of a man. There is no probability, random, or otherwise that I'll become a dog.

Likewise, whatever determines the lottery numbers functions according to its precondition(s).

Exactly what are you arguing here? But if you would like real examples of true randomness I suggest you talk to someone who studies the subatomic particles. They are based on nothing but probability and randomness.

And again lets talk of free will. Its debatable that we have it but under the circumstances if it does exist then it is totally random what I do. Do I get up? move around? stay still? What shirt will I put on today? The future is not set and within the parameters of our universe anything is allowed.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Computers manipulate as well. The randomness you're referring to doesn't exist in reality as far as I know. Neither could it exist.

Of course it can. When people get struck by lightning or pooped on by a bird flying by. Assuming the bird isn't an obnoxious prick, how do you figure those events aren't random without assuming there's a god involved?

Sleeppy

Exactly what are you arguing here? But if you would like real examples of true randomness I suggest you talk to someone who studies the subatomic particles. They are based on nothing but probability and randomness.

And again lets talk of free will. Its debatable that we have it but under the circumstances if it does exist then it is totally random what I do. Do I get up? move around? stay still? What shirt will I put on today? The future is not set and within the parameters of our universe anything is allowed.

How and why are they studying randomness?

None of that is random. Why did you put on the shirt? How did you put on the shirt? The answers originate with you. If you could do anything random, where is that action originating from? Nothing?

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
How and why are they studying randomness?

None of that is random. Why did you put on the shirt? How did you put on the shirt? The answers originate with you. If you could do anything random, where is that action originating from? Nothing?

What if I laid out three choices. 1,2,3. Which do you choose? Is it random which one you chose? Or was it pre-determined?

Sleeppy

Of course it can. When people get struck by lightning or pooped on by a bird flying by. Assuming the bird isn't an obnoxious prick, how do you figure those events aren't random without assuming there's a god involved?

The bird didn't poop because of randomness. Neither did the two of you occupy similar space, randomly. There are reasons birds poop, and why they poop when they do. There's a reason the poop fell. There's a reason you were there to catch it. There's a reason you might not want to have caught it. None of it was random.