• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why "God does not exist" is a positive claim

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Yeah, in effect in at least one case I would choose a theist over an atheist in regards to morality, Namely for folk Christians, which are in effect believers in democrcy and human rights over an atheist, who don't believe in that.
It has been my experience that atheist/theist makes no difference when it comes to someone's morality.
And in fact, I will flat out state that thinking atheist/theist does make some difference will in fact skew your own perceptions of morality.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
Do you know that you don't know? Or do you believe that you don't know?
Yes

If you in any sense claim knowledge as to the universe as such for I do not know, you are in effect on the hook for exlaining your epistemlogy.
ONLY if I give a crickets fart.
Which I don't.

I have no intention, inclination, desire, wish, need, want, etc. to convince anyone that I do not know.
So if you are waiting for me to support my claim of not knowing, you gonna need a rather large lunch.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yes

ONLY if I give a crickets fart.
Which I don't.

I have no intention, inclination, desire, wish, need, want, etc. to convince anyone that I do not know.
So if you are waiting for me to support my claim of not knowing, you gonna need a rather large lunch.

So it is in effect a belief without evidence.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
When I inspect my internal database for the knowing part, it is not found.
Thus the conclusion, I do not know

So what is in general knowledge as a methodlogy to you or if you like that knowing part? If you claim you have a way to know, you have a burden of proof. That is my point.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
So what is in general knowledge as a methodlogy to you or if you like that knowing part? If you claim you have a way to know, you have a burden of proof. That is my point.
As I already stated, I have no intention, inclination, desire, wish, need, want, etc. to convince anyone that I do not know.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Why, you all post about it all the time.

Yeah. We correct your strawmen all the time also.
But it's not making much difference it seems.

The weird thing is that you all can't see the constant contradictions you keep putting out. It's all negation and no substance.
These supposed contradictions are of your own making. Those are your strawmen arguments.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Dude you’re obsessed! When someone starts a conversation with me, I expect it to be about whatever it was I said that they responded to. Every time I get a response from you, though, you go off on the same tangent about ‘methodological naturalism’. You just seem to be high-jacking anything remotely related I say in order to talk about some barely relevant thing that happens to interest you.
Annoying, isn't?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
But you are not going to answer how you know something as such as per burden of proof. Okay.
I do not know.

Sorry if that is not good enough for you.

But the fact remains, that is all I am interested in providing.

However, if you wish to pad your post count, I have no problems merely repeating my self.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

Negative claims are statements that assert the non-existence or exclusion of something.

:shrug:

The wiki page you link to, is about making wiki pages.

As per the thread, this page might be more relevant:

And for negative there is this text in part:
"... Logicians and philosophers of logic reject the notion that it is intrinsically impossible to prove negative claims.[11][12][13][14][15][10][16][17] Philosophers Steven D. Hale and Stephen Law state that the phrase "you cannot prove a negative" is itself a negative claim that would not be true if it could be proven true.[10][18] Many negative claims can be rewritten into logically equivalent positive claims (for example, "No Jewish person was at the party" is logically equivalent to "Everyone at the party was a gentile") ..."