• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why have Christians forgotten the fourth Commandment?

Are all Ten commandments binding?

• Total voters

McBell

Admiral Obvious
2c3 to cause God Law to be obeyed as it should be and 2b2 are the to connation most commonly associated with the text due to the surrounding text refering to the specificity of Law of Moses and the length of time it will be applied to the end. Good night for now mesetemia i am sure we will cross paths again.
i see.
Now have you anything from Scripture where Jesus says that his fulfillment was not the end of it?

Or perhaps a verse where Jesus states that man is to continue after his fulfillment?

The Peoples New Testament said:
To fulfil.
To complete its purpose.
He was the end of the law.
It was a "schoolmaster to bring us to Christ" (Gal_3:24), but "after faith is come we are no longer under the schoolmaster."

Adam Clarke's Commentary on the Bible said:
Mat 5:17 -
Think not that I am come to destroy the law -
Do not imagine that I am come to violate the law καταλυσαι, from κατα, and λυω, I loose, violate, or dissolve - I am not come to make the law of none effect - to dissolve the connection which subsists between its several parts, or the obligation men are under to have their lives regulated by its moral precepts; nor am I come to dissolve the connecting reference it has to the good things promised. But I am come, πληρωσαι, to complete - to perfect its connection and reference, to accomplish every thing shadowed forth in the Mosaic ritual, to fill up its great design; and to give grace to all my followers, πληρωσαι, to fill up, or complete, every moral duty.
In a word, Christ completed the law:
1st. In itself, it was only the shadow, the typical representation, of good things to come; and he added to it that which was necessary to make it perfect, His Own Sacrifice, without which it could neither satisfy God, nor sanctify men.

2dly. He completed it in himself by submitting to its types with an exact obedience, and verifying them by his death upon the cross.

3dly. He completes this law, and the sayings of his prophets, in his members, by giving them grace to love the Lord with all their heart, soul, mind, and strength, and their neighbor as themselves; for this is all the law and the prophets.
It is worthy of observation, that the word גמר gamar, among the rabbins, signifies not only to fulfill, but also to teach; and, consequently, we may infer that our Lord intimated, that the law and the prophets were still to be taught or inculcated by him and his disciples; and this he and they have done in the most pointed manner.
See the Gospels and epistles; and see especially this sermon on the mount, the Epistle of James, and the Epistle to the Hebrews. And this meaning of the word gives the clear sense of the apostle’s words, Col_1:25. Whereof I am made a minister, πληρωσαι τον λογον του Θεου, to fulfill the word of God, i.e. to teach the doctrine of God.

Albert Barne's Notes on the Bible said:
But to fulfill -
To complete the design; to fill up what was predicted; to accomplish what was intended in them. The word “fulfill” also means sometimes “to teach” or “to inculcate,” Col_1:25. The law of Moses contained many sacrifices and rites which were designed to shadow forth the Messiah. See the notes at Heb. 9. These were fulfilled when he came and offered himself a sacrifice to God,
“A sacrifice of nobler name.
And richer blood than they.”
The prophets contained many predictions respecting his coming and death. These were all to be fulfilled and fully accomplished by his life and his sufferings.

Mat 5:18
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
and what does verse 17 say?
Mat 5:17
Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfill.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
but the Words of Christ say that not one jot nor one tittle shall pass from the law until the end of all things.
That's a lie!

Matthew 5:18 I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not the smallest letter, not the least stroke of a pen, will by any means disappear from the Law until everything is accomplished. NIV

Matthew 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. KJV

Matthew 5:18 For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled.NKJV

No, it's NOT the end of all things, but rather until all is fulfilled. Christ's sacrifice fulfilled the law!

Unfortunately, there is little I can do to turn the truly devoted legalist to following the Spirit. Delusions build upon delusions and in the end there is no need for Christ in their existence as they rely on their own righteousness.

However, if you TRULY want to fulfill the law, then merely LOVE. Take this passage from Romans...

Romans 13:8 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. 9 The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet," and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." 10 Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law. NIV

rstrats

Mr. Peanut,

re: "The first day of the week in the New Testament is referred to as The Lord's Day."

I’m not aware of any scripture that refers to the first day of the week as "The Lord’s Day". What do you have in mind?

kai

ragamuffin
i am a little late coming in but in reference to the OP the ten commandments were given to the jews i am sure jesus as a jew did in fact keep them , christians bend the rules as they go along

MFaraz_Hayat

I actually wanted to ask the Christians that do they follow the old testament or no? If not so then why?
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Don't they indicate that old testament is to be followed?
[/FONT]

kai

ragamuffin
I actually wanted to ask the Christians that do they follow the old testament or no? If not so then why?
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. [/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. [/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Don't they indicate that old testament is to be followed?[/FONT]
good question you will find they will cherry pick bits from here and there but i was under the impression that the old testement became redundant with the new testement

Scuba Pete

[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]5:19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, geneva, helvetica]Don't they indicate that old testament is to be followed?
[/FONT]
Jesus FULFILLED the law. When you finish paying off the note on your car, do you keep sending in a payment to the lending institution? Why then would you continue in keeping the old law when your debt has been paid in full?

Francine

Jesus FULFILLED the law. When you finish paying off the note on your car, do you keep sending in a payment to the lending institution? Why then would you continue in keeping the old law when your debt has been paid in full?

Amen.

Romans 3:[
21] But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; [22] Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:

Somkid

I have a friend in the USA that is a Seventh Day Adventist minister/hospital chaplain, his biggest complaint is "when did God change the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday" which I believe is also a commandment to keep the Sabbath, is it not?

kai

ragamuffin
I have a friend in the USA that is a Seventh Day Adventist minister/hospital chaplain, his biggest complaint is "when did God change the Sabbath from Saturday to Sunday" which I believe is also a commandment to keep the Sabbath, is it not?
well god didnt did he! man did by switching calenders and saturns day became the suns day for worship and saturns day is in fact the day of rest. so to keep it on a mundane level saturdays is still the day of rest and sunday is the day of worship , only not many bother to do either any more .

McBell

Admiral Obvious
In all honesty, you AND your friend really do need to read this whole thread.
After you do, you will see that there is absolutely nothing in the Bible that says Saturday is the Sabbath.
There is nothing in the Bible that says Sunday is the Sabbath.

And on more than one occasion, in this very thread, I have flat out stated the FACT that every single argument presented by the local SDA that Saturday is the Sabbath can also be used just as effectively, and honestly, to "prove" that any day of the week is the Sabbath.

rstrats

Francine,

So if someone paid your speeding ticket in full, does that mean that you do not have to obey the speeding laws anymore?

Francine

Francine,

So if someone paid your speeding ticket in full, does that mean that you do not have to obey the speeding laws anymore?

I would not speed again, not because it's a law, but because I would be terribly ashamed to disappoint the one who paid my ticket at such great expense and pain.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Francine,

Here's the rub: The thought that, after we've all been taught to drive responsibly, and, after we've committed ourselves to driving responsibly, there's still a redundant thing called a "speed limit." The Law was necessary for those who had not been brought close to God and reconciled. In the Incarnation, the Law was fulfilled -- we no longer need "speed limits."

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
Here's the rub: The thought that, after we've all been taught to drive responsibly, and, after we've committed ourselves to driving responsibly, there's still a redundant thing called a "speed limit." The Law was necessary for those who had not been brought close to God and reconciled. In the Incarnation, the Law was fulfilled -- we no longer need "speed limits."

Setting aside that the "Incarnation" can be understood philosophically instead of literally as well, I think this is a spot on way to understand the relationship between the Law and Grace.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
doppelgänger;1038186 said:
Setting aside that the "Incarnation" can be understood philosophically instead of literally as well, I think this is a spot on way to understand the relationship between the Law and Grace.
Absolutely.:yes:

Scuba Pete

Hebrews 7:26 Such a high priest meets our need—one who is holy, blameless, pure, set apart from sinners, exalted above the heavens. 27 Unlike the other high priests, he does not need to offer sacrifices day after day, first for his own sins, and then for the sins of the people. He sacrificed for their sins once for all when he offered himself. 28 For the law appoints as high priests men who are weak; but the oath, which came after the law, appointed the Son, who has been made perfect forever. NIV

So yeah... this is the way Christianity works. Fortunately, it's not like any man made religion based n fear and retribution. It's is based on mercy and forgiveness.

Somkid

In all honesty, you AND your friend really do need to read this whole thread.
After you do, you will see that there is absolutely nothing in the Bible that says Saturday is the Sabbath.
There is nothing in the Bible that says Sunday is the Sabbath.

And on more than one occasion, in this very thread, I have flat out stated the FACT that every single argument presented by the local SDA that Saturday is the Sabbath can also be used just as effectively, and honestly, to "prove" that any day of the week is the Sabbath.

I have read the entire thread and I gave the opinion of my friend who is an ordained minister perhaps to contribute to the conversation something that might be of interest, quite frankly I don't believe any of it so its kind of irrelevant to me. The rationality behind it is that Sunday is the first day of the week and if God created the world in 6 days that means he rested on Saturday thus the Sabbath. As far as proving it well you have to prove the God to me first then I will worry about which day to worship on. I was just trying to pass on some information that I thought might be of some interest to those who are interested in this topic as a friendly gesture.

MFaraz_Hayat

Has Jesus Christ (P.B.U.H.) ever said that he had fulfilled the law?