• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I think a lot of the Bible is False

logician

Rather than say most of the bibile is false, one should say it is historically unverifiable.

The best explnantion for the bible is that "history" is written by the winners.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Some like believe every last word of the Bible is true.
I believe there is something to be learned from every thing in the bible. This does not mean I believe every statement and story in the bible is true. The bible books were written for many different purposes, none of them with the thought that they would eventually be compiled in to a volume we call the Bible.
When they are speculating about pre history like genesis they need to read in a different way to other parts that relate to Jewish law and history.
Even the Stories about Jesus life and teaching were not written first hand.
The Bible is not easy but is always worth study, especially the teachings of Jesus which are the blueprint for living a "Christian" life.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
Some like believe every last word of the Bible is true.
I believe there is something to be learned from every thing in the bible. This does not mean I believe every statement and story in the bible is true. The bible books were written for many different purposes, none of them with the thought that they would eventually be compiled in to a volume we call the Bible.
When they are speculating about pre history like genesis they need to read in a different way to other parts that relate to Jewish law and history.
Even the Stories about Jesus life and teaching were not written first hand.
The Bible is not easy but is always worth study, especially the teachings of Jesus which are the blueprint for living a "Christian" life.

But doesn't your view call into question whether Jesus did say those things? Or even whether there ever was a Jesus?

logician

But doesn't your view call into question whether Jesus did say those things? Or even whether there ever was a Jesus?

Since they had no videotaping equipment back then, we just have to take their "word" for it. Jesus would have saved a lot of questioning had he waiting until these days to come, so evidence of his existence could easily be forfhcoming.

elijah7

That is a very good question that you posed. The REAL truth of the Bible's message is that it does not damn "unbelievers" to an ever burning Hell fire. There is not enough space and time to cover the entire issue, but if you want the TRUE and correct answer just google "United Church of God" and search for the teaching on the Second Resurection and The message of the Last Great Day. Take a chance, you will be blown away!

Regards

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
I suppose it's the presumption of innocence that is the area of your misinformation.
So you're saying that God, as described in the OT, did not kill every human being on earth except one family? Did not kill every first-born child in Egypt? Did not command his followers to commit genocide, repeatedly, being sure to kill all the babies?

Scott1

So you're saying that God, as described in the OT, did not kill every human being on earth except one family? Did not kill every first-born child in Egypt? Did not command his followers to commit genocide, repeatedly, being sure to kill all the babies?
I certainly don't think so... I don't believe these fables are meant to be taken literally.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

The killing of the firstborn was justice, as the Egyptians had also killed all the Hebrew male babies. The eye-for-an-eye thing that was prominent in the Hebrew culture at the time. (doesn't mean I like or agree with it any more than you do. But what would you want to do if you ruled over a land and someone enslaved your people and killed all their male children?)

I don't believe Yeh'vah commanded the slaughtering of anybody; if he wanted people to die, he would have killed them himself, as he did in Genesis. I have a feeling that if the Abrahamic faiths are true, the only part of the Old Testament that was meant to be "God-revealed" is the Torah. Everything else was completely written and compiled by men.

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
The killing of the firstborn was justice, as the Egyptians had also killed all the Hebrew male babies. The eye-for-an-eye thing that was prominent in the Hebrew culture at the time. (doesn't mean I like or agree with it any more than you do. But what would you want to do if you ruled over a land and someone enslaved your people and killed all their male children?)
And that makes it O.K. for GOD?

I don't believe Yeh'vah commanded the slaughtering of anybody; if he wanted people to die, he would have killed them himself, as he did in Genesis. I have a feeling that if the Abrahamic faiths are true, the only part of the Old Testament that was meant to be "God-revealed" is the Torah. Everything else was completely written and compiled by men.
Just a hunch? A feeling? Is that how you decide which parts to believe?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
The killing of the firstborn was justice, as the Egyptians had also killed all the Hebrew male babies.
So if someone kills your child, the just thing to do is to kill his child, in your opinion? And if someone's king kills your child, then the just thing to do is to kill all the children born in that kingdom?

stacey bo bacey

oh no you di'int
Allah "God" is JUST, because it wouldn't make any sense that Allah would punish in hell whom he love, don't you think so?

Allah is loving too, but why you think he would love those who reject him. It's all about justice.

As far as God or Allah or whatever label anyone wants to put on whoever they believe, I consider that a mighty and tragic fault not being able to love someone who rejects him. Kids tell parents they hate them all the time. Of course most of the time they don't mean it, they're just going through a crazy phase, but sometimes that kid-parent relationship can be extremely twisted and messed up and the hate a child feels for their parent (for whatever reason) is real. Any good, loving parent would love unconditionally and always love their kid/welcome them back with open arms no matter what because it is their child. A mere human can unconditionally love someone who has truly rejected and hated them, but God can't? Hmmm...

People say God's love is unconditional. Supposedly not.

If there happens to be a god, I just want to say, and sometimes yell, to him: so WHAT if I don't believe in you?! :bonk: Honestly, you can't get over the fact that I just happen to not believe you're real because you've placed me on this Earth with NOTHING substantial to go on?

Someone's a diva.....:yes:

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
So...

- The Egyptians kill the Hebrews' first-born sons.
- As an act of divine justice, God kills the Egyptians' first-born sons.
- Later on, the Romans kill God's first-born Son.

Does this mean that the crucifixion of Christ could be seen as divinely just, in an eye-for-an-eye, Old Testament sort of way?

Yid613

The Bible also teaches us that God is perfect and is a loving God. If this were true, how come he would damn someone who does not believe in him.
Not all religions believe in eternal damnation. Such a concept is not compatible with an omnipotent, omnipresent, and benevolent G-d, a perfect G-d.

There are many other reasons why I feel most of the Bible is BS, but I just don't have time to write it all. The message of the Bible is good; be a good person, but just about everything else just seems rediculous.
The Bible (OT anyway) is a very unique book. It can be read by a child or studied in depth by a scholar. It has a message for all geared to their ability to understand. If all you have gotten from it is be a good person then you are reading it only at its most basic level. You not a child so of course it seems ridiculous to you.

Just as any science has particular methods and techniques along with various skills that must be mastered so does this. Just as science does not ignore the work previous done but builds on it so must the study of the Bible (OT). This is why the commentary of the Sages is indispensable. Without it your understanding will always be limited.

About what, the flood, or that genocide is a crime? I did get this information from the Bible. Is that an unreliable source?

If one see the essence of a person as their physical self then death is a horrible thing. However if one sees the essence of a person as their soul and the physical body only as temporary vessel then death is just a transition. Therefore if the actions of the physical body or circumstances the physical body finds itself in are causing damage to the soul a transition, through death, may be desirable whether it be to another body or a more spiritual existence.