• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I think atheism/theism doesn't matter.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
But we're not talking about what "label" means. We're talking about how vague defining God as "a label for an experience" is.

Seems that in response to being accused of being vague, the only response is to become more vague.
If you don't know what the experience is, how can you decide it's vaguely labelled? (Which I believe repeats what Stephen said earlier.)

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
LOL, well if that is what it comes down to, I don't really get the intentions of the OP.
:)

Stephen is on a journey, the one he talks about. On this journey he has found parallels between God and big mind. This is a good thing... for Stephen. He presents conclusions that he sees the parallel suggest, and holds them up for comment. I think he got some pretty good responses.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
If you don't know what the experience is, how can you decide it's vaguely labelled? (Which I believe repeats what Stephen said earlier.)

:facepalm:

Because the actual experience of something and the practical definition of something for the purpose of discussion are two entirely different things.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
:facepalm:

Because the actual experience of something and the practical definition of something for the purpose of discussion are two entirely different things.
So, how should he approach it? He's being asked to practically define an actual experience.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
So, how should he approach it? He's being asked to practically define an actual experience.

No he isn't, he's just being told that defining God as "a label for an experience" is needlessly vague and just confuses the issue of atheism and theism. I've explained this a dozen times already.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
No he isn't, he's just being told that defining God as "a label for an experience" is needlessly vague and just confuses the issue of atheism and theism. I've explained this a dozen times already.
I understand; what is "vague" about it is that he hasn't practically defined the actual experience, which can't happen. We're good.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I understand; what is "vague" about it is that he hasn't practically defined the actual experience, which can't happen. We're good.

No, clearly you still don't understand.

The problem isn't that he hasn't "defined the experience", the problem is that he is relabelling God - a word which when used in the context of the theism/atheism debate has a precise meaning and function - to be something so vague and undefinable that literally anything could fit the definition. It's like if we're going to debate about vegetarianism/meat eating and I decided to define "meat" as "anything edible". It's just confusing the issue and not adding anything to the discussion.