• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I think there is one right religion

Sabour

I have often heard that why would our religion be wrong if we believe in God.

Well let me start by saying that every person has a religion. Even the one who says I don't belong to any religion.

Assume that you don't follow any religion, I will ask you four questions

If somebody came to kill you, do you think it is okay if you killed him? self defense?

Is it okay to have alcohol?

Is it okay to have drugs?

Is it okay to lie for a good reason?

Now I can make a thousand question in the list. The set of answers you provide for these questions is your religion. They form your beliefs by which you live your life.

Now before you give answers to these questions and adopt them in your life, it is your duty to search and see if God already handed you answers to these questions.

And since religions have major differences, there is only one true religion. Just like 1+1=2 ... You only have once right answer. And let's not forget that there are MAJOR difference between religions in the worshiping aspect. Not only in the do and donts.

So its our duty to search for this true religion that God gave us, and I firmly believe that God didn't leave each one of us to live by his standards.

Last edited:

Sees

Dragonslayer
Answers to those questions prove that people have a religion or that they have a culture, upbringing, opinions?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
The set of answers you provide for these questions is your religion. They form your beliefs by which you live your life.

So, "religion" to you is any value system and/or system of ethics? If so, that would seem to me an ethnocentric take on the world's religions.

And since religions have major differences, there is only one true religion.

And since shoe sizes have major differences, there is only one true shoe size. Nice reasoning! I'll start filling out your Nobel application immediately!

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I have often heard that why would our religion be wrong if we believe in God.

Well let me start by saying that every person has a religion. Even the one who says I don't belong to any religion.

Assume that you don't follow any religion, I will ask you four questions

If somebody came to kill you, do you think it is okay if you killed him? self defense?

Is it okay to have alcohol?

Is it okay to have drugs?

Is it okay to lie for a good reason?

Now I can make a thousand question in the list. The set of answers you provide for these questions is your religion. They form your beliefs by which you live your life.

Now before you give answers to these questions and adopt them in your life, it is your duty to search and see if God already handed you answers to these questions.

And since religions have major differences, there is only one true religion. Just like 1+1=2 ... You only have once right answer. And let's not forget that there are MAJOR difference between religions in the worshiping aspect. Not only in the do and donts.

So its our duty to search for this true religion that God gave us, and I firmly believe that God didn't leave each one of us to live by his standards.
What happens if God doesn't care about such trivial things.

Sabour

Answers to those questions prove that people have a religion or that they have a culture, upbringing, opinions?

Well even if you live in a culture which permits something, you might still have a different view. Mostly I think upbringings are derived from Grandparents beliefs. I agree on opinions.

But what I meant is that the set of these opinions form your religion because religion what you believe.

Anyways if I added the question if you have to worships God. or how to worship God. Or what is salvation. Is there a purpose for this life and questions like that. Would those still be derived from culture, upbringings and beliefs ?

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
I guess if somebody came to kill me I should defend myself, depending on who it was and why they wanted to kill me. Who knows, maybe I needed killing? I might kill him if I could but I would probably try not to, although it might be very satisfying to kill him or it might make me suicidal. But never having been confronted with lethal force I can't say what I would or should do.
I think it's okay for most people to have alcohol but some people are alcoholics so they should abstain totally. Some people are get stupid when they drink so maybe they shouldn't either, but then they can be quite entertaining so unless you let them drink how will you know. I don't think any people should ever drink so much that they get drunk, but then how much is too much. Some occasions call for alcohol but you should never drink and drive, unless you're on your own property.
I feel the same way about drugs as I do alcohol except that certain drugs require very careful dosage monitoring and so probably should be avoided unless you have experience.
Lying is something that I would generally discourage except that sometimes its necessary to lie to avoid hurting someone's feelings. Also lying can be useful in avoiding someone who may be coming to kill you, may be unavoidable while drinking, and irrelevant if using drugs.

Do I have a religion yet?

Sees

Dragonslayer
Well even if you live in a culture which permits something, you might still have a different view. Mostly I think upbringings are derived from Grandparents beliefs. I agree on opinions.

But what I meant is that the set of these opinions form your religion because religion what you believe.

Anyways if I added the question if you have to worships God. or how to worship God. Or what is salvation. Is there a purpose for this life and questions like that. Would those still be derived from culture, upbringings and beliefs ?

For the most part....many people don't really choose their religion, it's handed down like language, clothing, etc. Sometimes it's more about celebration and tradition, sometimes it's more about controlling a large population.

Sabour

So, "religion" to you is any value system and/or system of ethics? If so, that would seem to me an ethnocentric take on the world's religions.

Did you read the line where I said that don't forget there is major differences in worshiping aspects

And since shoe sizes have major differences, there is only one true shoe size. Nice reasoning! I'll start filling out your Nobel application immediately!

Sorry but I think we are all living in the same world... so yes one true shoe size. Religion is men searching for God. Not God searching for what fits us

What happens if God doesn't care about such trivial things.

This is another argument my friend

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
… Well let me start by saying that every person has a religion. Even the one who says I don't belong to any religion.

... I can make a thousand question in the list. The set of answers you provide for these questions is your religion. They form your beliefs by which you live your life.

If you define 'religion' as something that everybody has, then clearly everybody will have one. But it's unclear to me that you've accomplished anything of worth by such an exercise.

Sabour

For the most part....many people don't really choose their religion, it's handed down like language, clothing, etc. Sometimes it's more about celebration and tradition, sometimes it's more about controlling a large population.

Actually I don't agree. If a person is born Christian, muslim, Jew, Hindu or any other religion and he is not practicing it. Does this make give him the religion identity he is born to?

Besides almost all atheists chose their own way. And in a poll on this forum I saw that 75 % answered that they converted and were not raised in their current religion

Sees

Dragonslayer
Actually I don't agree. If a person is born Christian, muslim, Jew, Hindu or any other religion and he is not practicing it. Does this make give him the religion identity he is born to?

Besides almost all atheists chose their own way. And in a poll on this forum I saw that 75 % answered that they converted and were not raised in their current religion

Forums are populated by enthusiasts...not normal people :D

Most people will follow their family's and culture's primary religion and answers to those questions you brought up are heavily decided for them.

Sabour

So let me get this straight although I have clearly mentioned that there are still a long list of questions, and questions about Worshiping aspects which I didn't include, you all think that this doesn't form a religion?

And religion only covers worshiping aspects?

Appreciate if you would define for me what is a religion, I look as if I were from another planet !

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member

I tried to frubal this but I cant give you any more yet.

Sabour

If you define 'religion' as something that everybody has, then clearly everybody will have one. But it's unclear to me that you've accomplished anything of worth by such an exercise.

Maybe. But I often hear people saying I believe in nothing I have no religion. Which never entered my mind

Sabour

I guess if somebody came to kill me I should defend myself, depending on who it was and why they wanted to kill me. Who knows, maybe I needed killing? I might kill him if I could but I would probably try not to, although it might be very satisfying to kill him or it might make me suicidal. But never having been confronted with lethal force I can't say what I would or should do.
I think it's okay for most people to have alcohol but some people are alcoholics so they should abstain totally. Some people are get stupid when they drink so maybe they shouldn't either, but then they can be quite entertaining so unless you let them drink how will you know. I don't think any people should ever drink so much that they get drunk, but then how much is too much. Some occasions call for alcohol but you should never drink and drive, unless you're on your own property.
I feel the same way about drugs as I do alcohol except that certain drugs require very careful dosage monitoring and so probably should be avoided unless you have experience.
Lying is something that I would generally discourage except that sometimes its necessary to lie to avoid hurting someone's feelings. Also lying can be useful in avoiding someone who may be coming to kill you, may be unavoidable while drinking, and irrelevant if using drugs.

Do I have a religion yet?

And let's not forget that there are MAJOR difference between religions in the worshiping aspect. Not only in the do and donts.

Wait I am making my list

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
So let me get this straight although I have clearly mentioned that there are still a long list of questions, and questions about Worshiping aspects which I didn't include, you all think that this doesn't form a religion?

And religion only covers worshiping aspects?

Appreciate if you would define for me what is a religion, I look as if I were from another planet !

Why does a religion have to be defined by adherence to rules of conduct or forms of worship? I have no specific rules of conduct and wouldn't consider them divinely inspired if I had. I have no specific forms of worship but if I did I would be well aware that they were of human design. Religion to me is a fervent hope in the common good, a respect for tradition balanced with an excitement for innovation, and an admission that no one has a monopoly on truth. I live by those precepts religiously.

Sabour

Why does a religion have to be defined by adherence to rules of conduct or forms of worship? I have no specific rules of conduct and wouldn't consider them divinely inspired if I had. I have no specific forms of worship but if I did I would be well aware that they were of human design. Religion to me is a fervent hope in the common good, a respect for tradition balanced with an excitement for innovation, and an admission that no one has a monopoly on truth. I live by those precepts religiously.

Well because we are humans. And human opinions differ and make errors. Basically there are many cases when we can't understand what our actions will have on others.

Now do you believe that God would send us to live each by his own standards.

And by worshiping God we would be more likely to follow his guiding. It benefits us.

So basically you don't believe in any religion ?