• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I think there is one right religion

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
My religion is about treating my fellowman in a fair an compassionate manner.
In which case your questions have little relevancy.

So is my "religion" the true religion?

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
Well because we are humans. And human opinions differ and make errors. Basically there are many cases when we can't understand what our actions will have on others.

Now do you believe that God would send us to live each by his own standards.

And by worshiping God we would be more likely to follow his guiding. It benefits us.

So basically you don't believe in any religion ?

None "per se" :rolleyes:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
As others have pointed out, defining religion solely as a system of ethics is problematic and fails to capture the spectrum of what religion actually is and the roles that it plays in people's lives. Even if this argument followed, I'm not seeing how defining religion solely in terms of ethics leads to the conclusion that there is only one "right" or "true" religion.

Sabour

My religion is about treating my fellowman in a fair an compassionate manner.
In which case your questions have little relevancy.

So is my "religion" the true religion?

I am wondering what compassionate manner means to you.

I think God would judge if its true or not

Sees

Dragonslayer
Well because we are humans. And human opinions differ and make errors. Basically there are many cases when we can't understand what our actions will have on others.

Now do you believe that God would send us to live each by his own standards.

And by worshiping God we would be more likely to follow his guiding. It benefits us.

So basically you don't believe in any religion ?

Do you think your God would send people to live in the world for tens of thousands of years, or hundreds of thousands, without making its presence or desires known?

Sabour

As others have pointed out, defining religion solely as a system of ethics is problematic and fails to capture the spectrum of what religion actually is and the roles that it plays in people's lives. Even if this argument followed, I'm not seeing how defining religion solely in terms of ethics leads to the conclusion that there is only one "right" or "true" religion.

I still can't understand why none have noticed the worshiping part in the thread

Sabour

Do you think your God would send people to live in the world for tens of thousands of years, or hundreds of thousands, without making its presence or desires known?

If you were ready to search and find the truth from your heart, you will see the answers clearer than you ever imagined

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
A religion that was suited to everyone would most likely be so insipid as to include in its major teachings, "Thou shalt breathe."

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless
Did you ever consider seeing what anyone of them has to offer? I mean reading the religion's scripture.

Of course. I have read them all and see nothing in any of them that I could say is not of human origin. If religions are of human origin then I can conjure up my own with no particular god at its head and be just as assured of its truth as any other religion regardless of pedigree.

Sabour

A religion that was suited to everyone would most likely be so insipid as to include in its major teachings, "Thou shalt breathe."
How do you know if you didn't try it ?

Of course. I have read them all and see nothing in any of them that I could say is not of human origin. If religions are of human origin then I can conjure up my own with no particular god at its head and be just as assured of its truth as any other religion regardless of pedigree.

Does this include the Quraan ? Are you aware when it was revealed? And do you know about the scientific miracles that proves the Quraan as the word of God ?

Amechania

Daimona of the Helpless

Does this include the Quraan ? Are you aware when it was revealed? And do you know about the scientific miracles that proves the Quraan as the word of God ?

No I omitted the Quran for fear my hubris would be exposed by the scientific miracles contained within it.:sarcastic

dust1n

Zindīq
Does religion amount to a series of yes-and-no questions?

EDIT: I would think that religion amounts to actions, not beliefs.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

So far as I know, there currently exists no religion that is suited to everyone, although there exist in abundance people who believe their own religion is suited to everyone.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Now I can make a thousand question in the list. The set of answers you provide for these questions is your religion. They form your beliefs by which you live your life.
Belief structures are not identical with religion. I believe I need to work in order to buy things. That's not a religious belief, unless you define any belief whatsoever as religious, like the belief you need to bathe in order for people to wish to be around you. But that makes religion as anything uniquely different from the mundane utterly pointless then, doesn't it?

Now before you give answers to these questions and adopt them in your life, it is your duty to search and see if God already handed you answers to these questions.
Why? Why is it my duty? Says who?

If what I believe works, then it works. I don't need someone to validate it for me. I'm not a child who is frightened of making choices and being wrong.

And since religions have major differences, there is only one true religion. Just like 1+1=2 ... You only have once right answer. And let's not forget that there are MAJOR difference between religions in the worshiping aspect. Not only in the do and donts.
What do you mean there can only be one right choice? That's completely false, and not well thought out at all. There can be multiple correct choices, each bring about the same end result. Since you like math, let's keep it simple. According to you 5+5=10. There it is! The Truth! Right? Wrong. 2+2+6=10 too. 4x4-6=10. 700\10+3=10.

See, lots of different paths.

So its our duty to search for this true religion that God gave us, and I firmly believe that God didn't leave each one of us to live by his standards.
Well, according to the math standards, we need to find what works. And that is living for God. Not following your math approach. That's not following God. It's following you.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member
I have often heard that why would our religion be wrong if we believe in God.

Well let me start by saying that every person has a religion. Even the one who says I don't belong to any religion.

Assume that you don't follow any religion, I will ask you four questions

If somebody came to kill you, do you think it is okay if you killed him? self defense?

Is it okay to have alcohol?

Is it okay to have drugs?

Is it okay to lie for a good reason?

Now I can make a thousand question in the list. The set of answers you provide for these questions is your religion. They form your beliefs by which you live your life.

Odd definition for religion but I wont argue

Now before you give answers to these questions and adopt them in your life, it is your duty to search and see if God already handed you answers to these questions.

Why?

And since religions have major differences, there is only one true religion. Just like 1+1=2 ... You only have once right answer. And let's not forget that there are MAJOR difference between religions in the worshiping aspect. Not only in the do and donts.

Based on your earlier definition of Religion I'd agree. Although each person may have a different "true religion". For example some people might be fine with alcohol and enjoy it responsibly whereas others may get addicted.

So its our duty to search for this true religion that God gave us, and I firmly believe that God didn't leave each one of us to live by his standards.

Assuming God even exists

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I am wondering what compassionate manner means to you.

I think God would judge if its true or not

Treating others as I would want to be treated. I assume we are all trying to get through life as best we can and none of us are perfect. So I help when I can and appreciated when help is offered.

To me, what you believe is not as important as how you treat others.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I still can't understand why none have noticed the worshiping part in the thread

By the presentation in the OP, it doesn't seem to me that you gave mode of worship much significance. The focus is on defining religion in terms of ethics and claiming everybody has a "religion" because everybody (supposedly) has some sort of ethical system they live by. I'm thinking that the way you phrased your argument is not following for some folks, and that they see some gaps in the reasoning.