• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I think there is one right religion

Alceste

Vagabond
I have often heard that why would our religion be wrong if we believe in God.

Well let me start by saying that every person has a religion. Even the one who says I don't belong to any religion.

Assume that you don't follow any religion, I will ask you four questions

If somebody came to kill you, do you think it is okay if you killed him? self defense?

Is it okay to have alcohol?

Is it okay to have drugs?

Is it okay to lie for a good reason?

Now I can make a thousand question in the list. The set of answers you provide for these questions is your religion. They form your beliefs by which you live your life.

Now before you give answers to these questions and adopt them in your life, it is your duty to search and see if God already handed you answers to these questions.

And since religions have major differences, there is only one true religion. Just like 1+1=2 ... You only have once right answer. And let's not forget that there are MAJOR difference between religions in the worshiping aspect. Not only in the do and donts.

So its our duty to search for this true religion that God gave us, and I firmly believe that God didn't leave each one of us to live by his standards.

I recommend you learn the difference between facts and opinions.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you

And an atheist would say that is EXACTLY why your religion is wrong.

Well let me start by saying that every person has a religion. Even the one who says I don't belong to any religion.

I have religious beliefs, but I don't follow any religion. I suppose you could say that my religious beliefs ARE my religion (and I frequently do the same for expediency) but I don't really think of it as the same as following Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, etc.

Hold on to your hats...

If somebody came to kill you, do you think it is okay if you killed him? self defense?

That depends. Did I do something to deserve death?

That depends. How much have I had already?

That depends. Which drugs, and how much of that drug have I had already?

That depends. What is the actual 'good reason' and is that reason actually satisfied by the lie?

Now I can make a thousand question in the list.

Please don't. I don't want to have to make a macro for "That depends."

The set of answers you provide for these questions is your religion. They form your beliefs by which you live your life.

So, my religion depends? I concur.

Now before you give answers to these questions and adopt them in your life, it is your duty to search and see if God already handed you answers to these questions.

It is my duty to who? And I already believe that God has never once answered any of these questions for anyone at any time for any reason ever. So... no.

And since religions have major differences, there is only one true religion. Just like 1+1=2 ... You only have once right answer.

Absolutely incorrect. It is not like 1 + 1 = 2. It is like X + Y = Z. Every answer is the right answer given the right variables.

And let's not forget that there are MAJOR difference between religions in the worshiping aspect. Not only in the do and donts.

I don't believe worship is necessary at all. That's majorly different than most religions. I concur.

So its our duty to search for this true religion that God gave us, and I firmly believe that God didn't leave each one of us to live by his standards.

I have no such duty. I am compelled however, to seek God. Once I find God, I'm sure we'll have a lot to talk about along the lines of this thread. Until then, I am bound to live by MY standards because there are no alternatives.

Agnostic75

0ne-answer said:
And since religions have major differences, there is only one true religion.

If a God exists, that does not necessarily mean that any religious book is true.

Why do you believe that Islam is true?

Under certain other circumstances, you would not have become a Muslim, which means that chance, and circumstance largely determine what people believe.

Last edited:
The original argument in this post fails to provide any reasonable arguments for why there would be one religion. The natural world around us itself contradicts such arguments, there is nothing in nature that there is only one side of. To try to argue that there is one religion means you have to provide proof that there could only be one religion. Since the divine is suppose to represent us and humanity is nothing but diversity, it would stand to reason that religion also has religion. This concept of one religion has done nothing but caused bloodshed throughout history.

McBell

Admiral Obvious

Now I can make a thousand question in the list. The set of answers you provide for these questions is your religion. They form your beliefs by which you live your life.

And since religions have major differences, there is only one true religion. Just like 1+1=2 ... You only have once right answer. And let's not forget that there are MAJOR difference between religions in the worshiping aspect. Not only in the do and donts.

So basically, in a nutshell, the reason you believe there is one right religion is because you have changed the definition of religion to fit your agenda?

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member

I agree to this point.

The origin of all major religions is divine and fundamentally teach same thing, but their difference is related to the exigencies of Age they were revealed for.

"...To each Age its Book" Quran 13:18

It is our duty to search for truth, but God also gave us free will. There is no obligation in religion.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

This is illogical.

Your religion is by necessity your belief, - but your beliefs are not necessarily "religion."

Even when used as a colloquialism - when we say a non-religious person is religious about some subject - we are not actually referring to anything religious - but to the Mad-Dog-fundamentalists within religions. They latch on and don't let go, regardless of the authenticity of their stance.

In other words, overly tenacious.

They are not actually religious in any way.

Also - there is no reason for a God to have had anything to do with your questions.

We developed our ideas of right and wrong, by majority consensus, when we had to learn to live in group settings.

In other words it makes group sense to - not allow stealing, rape, etc.

InvestigateTruth

Veteran Member
This is illogical.

Your religion is by necessity your belief, - but your beliefs are not necessarily "religion."

Even when used as a colloquialism - when we say a non-religious person is religious about some subject - we are not actually referring to anything religious - but to the Mad-Dog-fundamentalists within religions. They latch on and don't let go, regardless of the authenticity of their stance.

In other words, overly tenacious.

They are not actually religious in any way.

Also - there is no reason for a God to have had anything to do with your questions.

We developed our ideas of right and wrong, by majority consensus, when we had to learn to live in group settings.

In other words it makes group sense to - not allow stealing, rape, etc.

For knowledge there must be a source just as for example the Sun is the Source of Light....So what is the source of All good attributes, ethics and knowledge?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member

As pointed out, that would be based on an extremely broad and inclusive definition of religion, which unfortunately fails to capture some of the essential aspects of what constitutes a religion, and what makes them distinct from philosophy.

Sure.

Unless i felt i deserved to die and was okay with dying, or if i just felt i had enough out of life that i was not willing to kill another person to maintain mine.

Based on where i am right now though, i don't see those possibilities really occurring.

Sure, in reasonable quantities which would not make my mind absent in any possibly inappropriate circumstances or where i could be harmful to others, and where it's not harmful to me personally. Health wise or in any other way.

For certain reasons and under certain circumstances, sure.

It's okay to lie in some circumstances in my view, yes.

'Beliefs' is not necessarily the most accurate umbrella word to use in this case, as it addresses opinions and views of all kinds, some of which the word would not be particularly suitable for. That and again as pointed out, beliefs don't necessitate a religious stance.

I think first i might need to search and see quite a few other things. For example:

1) See if i should believe a god(s) exists at all.

2) See if i should believe any such god would have answers to my questions, and would be willing to share them.

3) See if i should believe for such answers to take precedence over mine.

4) See what i should believe about the method such god would use in conveying these answers.

5) See if i should believe any of the above was necessarily my duty rather than something i was just curious about.

That assumes that there is a religion that is true in it's entirety (at all). It could just be that each of those religions contain some bits of truth and some bits of falsehood, with varying degrees, for example. Or they could all be wrong, for another.

Sabour

Does religion amount to a series of yes-and-no questions?

EDIT: I would think that religion amounts to actions, not beliefs.

But actions are based on that beliefs

So far as I know, there currently exists no religion that is suited to everyone, although there exist in abundance people who believe their own religion is suited to everyone.

Yep as far as you know. Besides, there is a group of people who are right.

Have you tried other religions besides Islam? I'm genuinely curious.

Yes, I was a non practicing muslim and I had major questions.

No I omitted the Quran for fear my hubris would be exposed by the scientific miracles contained within it.:sarcastic

Come on I am serious.

Belief structures are not identical with religion. I believe I need to work in order to buy things. That's not a religious belief, unless you define any belief whatsoever as religious, like the belief you need to bathe in order for people to wish to be around you. But that makes religion as anything uniquely different from the mundane utterly pointless then, doesn't it?

Why? Why is it my duty? Says who?

If what I believe works, then it works. I don't need someone to validate it for me. I'm not a child who is frightened of making choices and being wrong.

What do you mean there can only be one right choice? That's completely false, and not well thought out at all. There can be multiple correct choices, each bring about the same end result. Since you like math, let's keep it simple. According to you 5+5=10. There it is! The Truth! Right? Wrong. 2+2+6=10 too. 4x4-6=10. 700\10+3=10.

See, lots of different paths.

Well, according to the math standards, we need to find what works. And that is living for God. Not following your math approach. That's not following God. It's following you.

Thank you for the advice I will try to bath more often. And your arguement is invalid. You didn't mention your opinion of whether you should worship God or not. Is this pointless too ?

How do you know that what you believe works? have you seen the end result of it ?

The list of your math questions you provided. All the answers are correct, but the problem is that you aren't the one putting the questions. The question is already given, it is the same for everyone.

Sabour

Odd definition for religion but I wont argue

Why?

Based on your earlier definition of Religion I'd agree. Although each person may have a different "true religion". For example some people might be fine with alcohol and enjoy it responsibly whereas others may get addicted.

Assuming God even exists

And why do you think God doesn't exist?

Treating others as I would want to be treated. I assume we are all trying to get through life as best we can and none of us are perfect. So I help when I can and appreciated when help is offered.

To me, what you believe is not as important as how you treat others.

Okayz I think we are on the same side based on your definition. But what about the other aspects like what there is after life, and how do you get past this test, assuming that you believe this life is actually a test?

And can you explain your last line ?

By the presentation in the OP, it doesn't seem to me that you gave mode of worship much significance. The focus is on defining religion in terms of ethics and claiming everybody has a "religion" because everybody (supposedly) has some sort of ethical system they live by. I'm thinking that the way you phrased your argument is not following for some folks, and that they see some gaps in the reasoning.

I think you're right I should have phrased it better. I didn't know that someone would jump into answering before reading it all.

Anyways the reason I did that because I know there is a huge percentage that doesn't believe in worshiping or anything that has to do with what they can't see.

I recommend you learn the difference between facts and opinions.

So this closes the argument?
And an atheist would say that is EXACTLY why your religion is wrong.

I have religious beliefs, but I don't follow any religion. I suppose you could say that my religious beliefs ARE my religion (and I frequently do the same for expediency) but I don't really think of it as the same as following Christianity, Islam, Buddhism, etc.

Hold on to your hats...

That depends. Did I do something to deserve death?

That depends. How much have I had already?

That depends. Which drugs, and how much of that drug have I had already?

That depends. What is the actual 'good reason' and is that reason actually satisfied by the lie?

Please don't. I don't want to have to make a macro for "That depends."

So, my religion depends? I concur.

It is my duty to who? And I already believe that God has never once answered any of these questions for anyone at any time for any reason ever. So... no.

Absolutely incorrect. It is not like 1 + 1 = 2. It is like X + Y = Z. Every answer is the right answer given the right variables.

I don't believe worship is necessary at all. That's majorly different than most religions. I concur.

I have no such duty. I am compelled however, to seek God. Once I find God, I'm sure we'll have a lot to talk about along the lines of this thread. Until then, I am bound to live by MY standards because there are no alternatives.

If you don't believe in God, than how you explain your existence?
The variables you talked about are the same for everyone. We are all living on earth, and we all do have a one creator. the question is already formulated.

Sabour

If a God exists, that does not necessarily mean that any religious book is true.

Why do you believe that Islam is true?

Under certain other circumstances, you would not have become a Muslim, which means that chance, and circumstance largely determine what people believe.

If a God exists, that does not necessarily mean that any religious book is true. That is a good starting point. Put the books under the test and see. If Quraan is the true word of God, you will feel that God is speaking to you. It sounds crazy, but try it.

And I disagree about what you said. Being a muslim or christian is not about what you are born to, it is about if you believe in it and practice in it. It is not like just you are born a muslim you have a free ticket to paradise. That is why I said it is our duty to search for the right religion.

The original argument in this post fails to provide any reasonable arguments for why there would be one religion. The natural world around us itself contradicts such arguments, there is nothing in nature that there is only one side of. To try to argue that there is one religion means you have to provide proof that there could only be one religion. Since the divine is suppose to represent us and humanity is nothing but diversity, it would stand to reason that religion also has religion. This concept of one religion has done nothing but caused bloodshed throughout history.

Frankly I think that most of the bloodshed that happened or still happening is because of obsession with politics and power and authority, covered by religious reasons.

So basically, in a nutshell, the reason you believe there is one right religion is because you have changed the definition of religion to fit your agenda?
okay define for me religion?

I agree to this point.

The origin of all major religions is divine and fundamentally teach same thing, but their difference is related to the exigencies of Age they were revealed for.

"...To each Age its Book" Quran 13:18

It is our duty to search for truth, but God also gave us free will. There is no obligation in religion.

Yes thank you, to each age its book. Now we are living in the same age.
I can't agree more to your second line

Sabour

Trial and common sense over time.

So basically you are saying that our Grandparents had to live in misery before they come with the right combination?

As pointed out, that would be based on an extremely broad and inclusive definition of religion, which unfortunately fails to capture some of the essential aspects of what constitutes a religion, and what makes them distinct from philosophy.

Sure.

Unless i felt i deserved to die and was okay with dying, or if i just felt i had enough out of life that i was not willing to kill another person to maintain mine.

Based on where i am right now though, i don't see those possibilities really occurring.

Sure, in reasonable quantities which would not make my mind absent in any possibly inappropriate circumstances or where i could be harmful to others, and where it's not harmful to me personally. Health wise or in any other way.

For certain reasons and under certain circumstances, sure.

It's okay to lie in some circumstances in my view, yes.

'Beliefs' is not necessarily the most accurate umbrella word to use in this case, as it addresses opinions and views of all kinds, some of which the word would not be particularly suitable for. That and again as pointed out, beliefs don't necessitate a religious stance.

I think first i might need to search and see quite a few other things. For example:

1) See if i should believe a god(s) exists at all.

2) See if i should believe any such god would have answers to my questions, and would be willing to share them.

3) See if i should believe for such answers to take precedence over mine.

4) See what i should believe about the method such god would use in conveying these answers.

5) See if i should believe any of the above was necessarily my duty rather than something i was just curious about.

That assumes that there is a religion that is true in it's entirety (at all). It could just be that each of those religions contain some bits of truth and some bits of falsehood, with varying degrees, for example. Or they could all be wrong, for another.

I didn't say these beliefs sets your religion, I said they are part of the religion. And since there are major differences between religions there must be only one correct.

Are you seriously looking for answers for questions you posted?

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
@ 0ne-answer

If somebody came to kill you, do you think it is okay if you killed him? self defense?: Yes.
Is it okay to have alcohol?: Yes but to the limit that you do not loose control over yourself. Since that would clash with your responsibilities in the society.
Is it okay to have drugs?: No, they can cause permanent damage or addiction. And mind is your most precious treasure.
Is it okay to lie for a good reason?: Yes, if the reason is not personal and is not in conflict with the requirement of the society.

"So its our duty to search for this true religion that God gave us, and I firmly believe that God didn't leave each one of us to live by his standards."

Ask any number of questions, but keep family, society, country, the world in the perspective in that order. It is not at all essential to bring a God in the equation. That is superfluous. Don't sell any God to me. I am a strong atheist.

Last edited:

Sabour

@ 0ne-answer

If somebody came to kill you, do you think it is okay if you killed him? self defense?: Yes.
Is it okay to have alcohol?: Yes but to the limit that you do not loose control over yourself. Since that would clash with your responsibilities in the society.
Is it okay to have drugs?: No, they can cause permanent damage or addiction. And mind is your most precious treasure.
Is it okay to lie for a good reason?: Yes, if the reason is not personal and is not in conflict with the requirement of the society.

"So its our duty to search for this true religion that God gave us, and I firmly believe that God didn't leave each one of us to live by his standards."

Ask any number of questions, but keep family, society, country, the world in the perspective in that order. It is not at all essential to bring a God in the equation. That is superfluous. Don't sell any God to me. I am a strong atheist.

Sorry but I have no right to live my life the way I want when God already told me how to live.

And by your last statement are you saying don't try to convince me there is a God ?