• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is it always the Mormons?

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
"An" is upholding the weak "h." It's correct. :)

What an honor!

The problem with that is that the "H" in "honor" is not pronounced. It's basically like the word being "onor". The "H" in "historian" is pronounced, at least in American English. If the "H" is pronounced, then the word begins with a consonant, and "an" is unnecessary, and therefore incorrect.

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
If the "H" is pronounced, then the word begins with a consonant, and "an" is unnecessary, and therefore incorrect.
Pronouncing that "h" is verboten. In any case, American English accepts either form of the indefinite article as "correct" according to my Scott Forsman.

Don't be such an haughty boy, Matt!

misanthropic_clown

I think it depends a little on how you pronounce 'a' as to whether it is easier to use an. Using the short vowel sound makes it a bit clumsy to say a historian. If you extend the a like 'ay' , it is a little easier to say the hi of historian afterwards.
"a hi"
"ay hi"
"an hi"
As far as correct grammar goes though, it's a historian.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
doppelgänger;1148414 said:
Pronouncing that "h" is verboten. In any case, American English accepts either form of the indefinite article as "correct" according to my Scott Forsman.

Don't be such an haughty boy, Matt!

Do you mean that pronouncing the "h" in "historian" is veboten? I'd beg to differ, if that's the case. I'm sure some people will say either form is correct, but it doesn't make sense, and so it is one of my pet peeves.

The main question is "Do you pronounce the "h" when you say "historian"? If you do, then there's no reason for "an" instead of "a", as the "n" only serves to make the transition from one vowel to another more fluid, i.e. from "a" to the "i" in historian.

EDIT: And I can't help being haughty when it comes to grammar. It's one of my few faults. I usually don't say anything, anyway, but I see you as a beacon of educatedness (that's right, I said it).

Fish-Hunter

Rejoice in the Lord!
If you don't believe Joseph Smith, why do you want to talk about Mormonism?

I don't. That's why we are limiting our debate with the 13 letters of Paul, and the book of Acts in regards to Paul on the LDS Beliefs and Bible thread. Keep up with that thread. Remember, a Mormon created that thread to debate with me.

Smoke

Done here.
If you don't believe in God, why do you want to talk about theology?
If you believe in god, how can you have an opinion about atheism?

Religion is interesting and ubiquitous. And I wasn't always an atheist.

However, I don't find it very interesting when you dodge my point by questioning my motives for discussing it.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
2 Corinthians 10:5: :)
We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ.

Interesting...now maybe you can answer the question. :)

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
The main question is "Do you pronounce the "h" when you say "historian"? If you do, then there's no reason for "an" instead of "a", as the "n" only serves to make the transition from one vowel to another more fluid, i.e. from "a" to the "i" in historian.
No, the main question is whether my Scott Foresman says both are correct, so I can hide behind an argument by appeal to authority rather than change my habit in the face of your very reasonable and reasoned argument.

I find mine an happier road to travel.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Fish-Hunter said:
If you don't believe in God, why do you want to talk about theology?

MidnightBlue said:
If you believe in God, how can you have an opinion about atheism?

Answer the second question keeping in mind that an atheist can talk about theology as well as a christian can have an opinion about atheism.