• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is it Okay to point out the Wrongs of Christianity and Other Religions, but not Islam?

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Why is it that when someone points out people in Islam doing something attrocious, people get all politically correct all of a sudden, and get all up in arms? I don't see anyone on this forum do that for Christianity, when people point out the attrocious things some Christians do, I don't see anyone go in defensive mode, or accuse the poster of generalizing and attacking all Christians. Why is this?

Christians...at least modern day ones , are far less likely to saw your head off with a buck knife or blow up a building if offended than their muslim counterparts . That may factor into it.

Tanuki

Taking a hiatus
It's not about being afraid of Muslims it's about defending a faith that is trashed in the American and European media due to the actions of a small number of adherents.

It's also about defending a beautiful faith against a narrow small minded group.

Rainbow Mage

Tanuki if you could please show me where the American and European media is wrong that Islamic extremists around the world kill people every single day, please do so.

Rainbow Mage

I am not implying that. I think it's an important issue that needs to be discussed. Should we shut our eyes and pretend a dragon or a lion isn't there?

Tanuki

Taking a hiatus
I am not saying there aren't people who hold such views, but why is it that the American and European media seem only fixated on Islamic terrorists?

For years there was a terrorist group in Ulster known as the IRA yet its leaders were hailed as heroes in the US and elsewhere - where was the condemnation of them? There is daily attacks on civilians by the State of Israel - why are we not discussing the terrorists in the establishment there?

You seem only to want to attack Islam.

DeitySlayer

President of Chindia
Then please make it clearer. Don't go 'latest from the religion of Peace'. Go 'latest from a pyschopathic minority from the religion of Peace'

Rainbow Mage

I'm not saying US and European media aren't overly fixated on Islamic terrorism. I think PBS should have been allowed to air "Muslims Against Jihad" after 9-11. See I am fair, I acknowledge both sides of the coin. You on the other hand, seem to want to just shut your eyes and pretend a problem doesn't exist, until it overtakes you.

Rainbow Mage

I have read the Quran, and I must say, I don't see where the book advocates terrorism on the level extremists carry it out. On the other hand, I seem to recall that a certain sura does call for wholesale slaughter of Pagans.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
It seems to imply that Muslims can't stand up for themselves, or that they are so overly-sensitive, that any criticism directed at their religion will destroy their fragile psyches. This whole overly PC thing regarding Islam seems to be more insulting to Muslims than anything. Of course, any guilt-driven social programming is usually belittling to those whom it's supposedly protecting.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Both Christians and Muslims are often afraid of criticizing their own faiths. It is unfortunate, but it is true.

no-body

Isn't it?

You should read the q'uran sometime.

I've read [a translation] of the koran and I didn't see anything in it about killing unbelievers for 70 virgins. The real problem in that area comes from the hadiths. Islam is like most other Abrahamic faiths, sounds beautiful on paper but get's done all wrong.

RiverSeed

Plodding Along
Yosef, it is not so important. If you focus on extreme elements of a religion, then a religion will seem extreme. If you focus on peaceful elements, then the same religion will also seem peaceful.

Any particular element that you focus on is not the whole element, so that element is not so important to focus on. Now, which element do you want to focus on?

Rainbow Mage

I try to focus on all the elements actually. I don't focus on only the extremism river seed, but I won't pretend it isn't there :)