• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is nighttime more dangerous than the daytime ?

Massimo2002

Is it though? I don't know how you define "dangerous" but I think that almost anything you can think of does happen more frequently at daylight than in the dark.
They why do may mom and dad and his friend say that nighttime is more dangerous than daytime ?

Massimo2002

More? Most dangers present themselves during the day (more activity). I'm often a night owl. I feel safer and more comfortable at night. I know nighttime can seem threatening for many. I know there's still risks at night. Doesn't really bother me.
Then why do my dad and mom and dad's friend tell me that nighttime is really dangerous compared to daytime and I'm a night owl to because I have insomnia.

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
The major hazard of night is lowered visibility. This lowered visibility lends credence to the perception that night is more dangerous than day. I've found it's the other way around. The more people, the more activity, the more opportunities for dangers.

Still, don't wonder off into a forest alone at night. You could get disoriented, break an ankle, run into a wendigo, etc.

Massimo2002

The major hazard of night is lowered visibility. This lowered visibility lends credence to the perception that night is more dangerous than day. I've found it's the other way around. The more people, the more activity, the more opportunities for dangers.

Still, don't wonder off into a forest alone at night. You could get disoriented, break an ankle, run into a wendigo, etc.
I still disagree I think that night time is more dangerous than the daytime because even though there's less people the people that you do see outside that aren't in cars are usually homeless people trying to assault people.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I know stupid question but still I want to contemplate on this profoundly.

Depends where you live.
When i lived in Manchester (or Preston) i didn't like to go out alone at night. Mind you, Moss Side was/is one of the most dangerous areas in the country day or night.
Village life is different, you know everyone so a night time walk can be a time for gossiping;-)

Viker

Your beloved eccentric Auntie Cristal
I still disagree I think that night time is more dangerous than the daytime because even though there's less people the people that you do see outside that aren't in cars are usually homeless people trying to assault people.
Most people I see not in cars I call pedestrians. I don't assume anyone is homeless. The homeless are generally harmless. It's people with homes and cars that cause the most harm.

Tamino

I actually love wandering into forests at night. I did it as a 12 year old on a dare, and then kept doing it because I liked it so much.
I felt a weird mix of high alert and total relaxation... after a while I started bringing a sleeping bag and slept under a tree.

My reasoning was that any human posing a danger to me has the same impaired vision. As long as I'm not as stupid as to carry a flashlight I should be as invisible to them as they are to me.
Not breaking an ankle on a dark path and not losing your way is a matter of practice and care (and still a useful skill to have)
And I wasn't afraid of the Wendigo either... I felt that the forest liked me enough to keep me safe.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Daytime might be considered safer, at least in public places where there's a lot of people around. The presence of other people (witnesses) would discourage any violent or criminal activity.

wellwisher

During the day, there is lot of sensory input into the brain, especially from the eyes, due to the bright sunlight. This energy stream keeps one aroused and more active during the day. As the sun goes down, this solar brain input is moderated, and things that are less conscious have more potential to become conscious. A lit match gets drowned out during the day but it can light the night. When we close our eyes to sleep and we cut off all the light energy to the brain, completely, and the unconscious can be even more conscious such as within dreams. The middle state of twilight and night is like a combination of real and imaginary; spirits of the night among the living.

There is also seasonal disorders based on the average daily amount of sunlight, with each season reflecting a different emotional ambiance; thalamus triggering the limbic system. It gets more depressing as we head to toward the winter and it gets dark so early. While spring, with the hours of daylight increasing, rapidly, after April, this picks up our spirits and reaches a peak as the summer begins (this week).

Below, the first diagram is of the eyes, optic nerves and their path within the brain. The left eye partially feeds the right brain and the right eye partially feeds the left brain; thought and feelings. The visual input also goes through the thalamus, which is the central switching station of the brain. The thalamus is the most wired region of the brain and is wired to the entire brain; input and output, including the brain stem; second figure.

The thalamus brain stem switching priority is partially connected to the power of the daily and the seasonal visual input signals. During sleep this input is weak, so arousal; via the thalamus and brain stem, works more with the imagination; things that go bump in the night. The thalamus, limbic system and brain stem writes to memory; last diagram.

The thalamus also outputs back to the cerebral matter, and can stimulate the same memory as the sensory pathways of the eyes; dreams and visions. The REM or rapid eye movement, like when dreaming, is connected to the counter current signals back to the eyes, which induce rebound signals back to the thalamus, so projection appear to come into the brain from the outside; dreams and spirits of the night.

main-qimg-80602e0592031995139bb8679d24b774
300px-Brain_stem_and_thalamus.jpeg
360_F_402315997_Ve6bWK04ROZX9yvG6W6Ao647bSRl2hUO.jpg