• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Water Wet?

Gordian Knot

Being Deviant IS My Art.
I am not asking how is water wet, I am asking why is water wet. You guys keep giving me the hows.

I've only been here a short time, and I find you ask the most unusual questions. Further I do not understand what it is you are attempting to discern from these questions. The actual answers themselves seem to have little value to you, far as I can tell.

Taken together, I'm sure you have a point to make. Why not just come out and ask it? I cannot be the only one who is curious!

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I've only been here a short time, and I find you ask the most unusual questions. Further I do not understand what it is you are attempting to discern from these questions. The actual answers themselves seem to have little value to you, far as I can tell.

Taken together, I'm sure you have a point to make. Why not just come out and ask it? I cannot be the only one who is curious!

I'm curious as well, though I still find these threads entertaining. sometimes.

kashmir

I remembered when I seen the video of a scientist putting that powder on top of the water and then he put his hand in and it came out dry.
I still can not grasp that water isn't actually wet at all and if you do not break through the surface, you just displace the water only and it doesn't get you wet.
Mind boggling.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I remembered when I seen the video of a scientist putting that powder on top of the water and then he put his hand in and it came out dry.
I still can not grasp that water isn't actually wet at all and if you do not break through the surface, you just displace the water only and it doesn't get you wet.
Mind boggling.
the mentos in soda is what amazes me.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep

In short, she likes to demonize science and atheism because she finds it boring.

dust1n

Zindīq
"Wet" is a description of a particular perception, that particular perception being one heavily correlated with contacting water. Why water is wet is a vague question... there are a couple of different ways of approaching it.

kashmir

the mentos in soda is what amazes me.

There's a video on youtube where a 7-8 year old girl was tired of her mom always setting her up with that joke so she said she would help her "get daddy".
Unbeknownst to the kid, mom had put a hidden camera in the kitchen, already sabotaged the soda bottle and the poor kid got it good that time.
Epic.

That is child abuse at its finest, hidden behind hook, line and sinker. :D
That poor poor poor child, lmfao

dust1n

Zindīq
So wet is nothing but a coincidence?

In this context, wet is nothing more than a description for similar perceptions like that of contact with water. If the question was why water is wet, as in the purpose, then there is no purpose. If we asked the question the means by which perceptions arise in such contact with water, that would be one worthy of scientific investigation. It's pretty amazing how complicated the process will be. For example, when are fingers prune up to being in water for a bit, it's a neurological response that contracts the muscle. How exactly do we translate a consistent feeling of water in a selection of interconnected neurons. How many different elements of water can be examined and memorized by the brain. Somewhere between understanding what water is and what our perceptions are, then the more elaborate an explanation one is going to be able to give to the question of reason (as in why something happens) or causality.

Last edited:

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Wet is just a word, a label, it could have been the word dry, and the word wet could have been the word for what we feel as dry, its a word for the sensation of the senses.

FunctionalAtheist

Hammer of Reason
Oh please, don't tell me you guys never asked that question.

So my science otaku frienemies, I am curious. So tell me, why is water wet?

Water is NOT wet! Wet is being satured with or covered by water (or other liquid). If a bucket is full of water, the bucket is wet, not the water. If you put your hand in the water, your hand is wet, not the water. Water cannot saturate or cover itself.