• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Water Wet?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
th

ukok102nak

Oh please, don't tell me you guys never asked that question.

So my science otaku frienemies, I am curious. So tell me, why is water wet?

~;> according to this guy
as it is written
:read:
Donning his regular work attire—jeans and a Hawaiian shirt—Richard Saykally tells me in four words the answer to a question I had often pondered in the shower: Why is water wet?

“Strong tetrahedral hydrogen bonding,” he said. The reply didn’t provide the instant illumination I was hoping for, but then, water is not simple. Saykally’s research group at the University of California, Berkeley (where he is a professor of chemistry) studies water with an exotic-sounding list of apparatuses, including cavity ringdown spectroscopes, terahertz lasers, and supersonic beams.

His goal is to develop a “universal water force field,” a computer model of water that could predict the behavior of water in any circumstance, down to the atomic scale. I was properly impressed by this ambition, but not particularly intimidated: Saykally made sure of that by offering more than once to play me a ditty on his harmonica

:ty:

godbless
unto all always

ukok102nak

~;> what kind of thing can be determine without knowing its purpose
coz its just like why
the spelling of the word "why" is W H Y

by the way
why someone came to the point that someone has
to say that the water is wet becaused of the term
Strong tetrahedral hydrogen bonding

godbless
unto all always

Last edited:

ukok102nak

~;> as far the question is not being answer directly by someone then the opinion of that someone is presume to be irrelevant
if we may say so

godbless
unto all always

Vorkosigan

There are all sorts of questions you can ask -- some simply do not make sense. Like asking, "how much does Thursday weigh?" (which is a syntactically correct question), your question is not valid because it is unanswerable. And why is it unanswerable, you ask? Because the very definition of "wet" is to be "covered or saturated with water or another liquid." Water is neither covered by nor saturated with another liquid. It is a liquid. Water is not wet, but rather wetness is a description of our experience of water in its non-frozen and non-vapor form.

Turns out there are such things as stupid questions.
~;> as far the question is not being answer directly by someone then the opinion of that someone is presume to be irrelevant
if we may say so

godbless
unto all always

I think is irrelevant because presupposes purpose/reason. There is no evidence that there has to be a reason. So the “why” question is meaningless.

ukok102nak

I think is irrelevant because presupposes purpose/reason. There is no evidence that there has to be a reason. So the “why” question is meaningless.

~;> every reason has its purpose
and the reason to have evidences is to ask first in your thought why

sometimes meaningless questions leads to meaningful answer
as if someone could question anyone
why water is soluble
is solid is not soluble too
and gas is not water and solid
then there is no reason or pupose that
gas is soluble nor not soluble so why bringing this thing out as it is irrelevant
but its not meaningless for it has a purpose that can be compared to make a difference unto something which is understanble or even beyond the human understanding

answering by means of reasoning sometimes leads to
irrelevant questions and vice versa
but it doesnt mean you cant
ask why

if we may say so

godbless
unto all always

Last edited:

Vorkosigan

~;> every reason has its purpose
and the reason to have evidences is to ask first in your thought why

sometimes meaningless questions leads to meaningful answer
as if someone could question anyone
why water is soluble
is solid is not soluble too
and gas is not water and solid
then there is no reason or pupose that
gas is soluble nor not soluble so why bringing this thing out as it is irrelevant
but its not meaningless for it has a purpose that can be compared to make a difference unto something which is understanble or even beyond the human understanding

answering by means of reasoning sometimes leads to
irrelevant questions and vice versa
but it doesnt mean you cant
ask why

if we may say so

godbless
unto all always
Sorry, I don't understand your point. could you explain it differently?

ukok102nak

Sorry, I don't understand your point. could you explain it differently?

~;> we just supported your reasons to point out somethin that is meaningless but has a purpose even thou it is irrelevant from your understanding
if we may say so

godbless
unto all always

Last edited:

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Water frozen is a solid, when heated enough it's gas like, otherwise it's a liquid.
We consider it wet because we are dry.

Hey! That's the best I could do. Is it worth shooting me?

Another water question?
Why is water not compressible?
Is it because water molecules are already as compressed as they can be?

jeager106

Learning more about Jehovah.
Premium Member
Why is a circle round?
What is light? A particle, a wave..................................

AW I NEED A DRINK NOW!

Don't trouble yourselves.
No one knows. (about light)

The exact nature of visible light is a mystery that has puzzled man for centuries. Greek scientists from the ancient Pythagorean discipline postulated that every visible object emits a steady stream of particles, while Aristotle concluded that light travels in a manner similar to waves in the ocean. Even though these ideas have undergone numerous modifications and a significant degree of evolution over the past 20 centuries, the essence of the dispute established by the Greek philosophers remains to this day.