• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Water Wet?

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Why is Water Wet?

Water is wet as it is one attribute of it created by G-d in water.
Is it another aspect of science being gibberish at many things? Please
Regards

VioletVortex

When we touch water, which is a liquid with a specific consistency (it varies slightly depending on the other chemicals in it), it interacts with our skin in a particular way that causes our nerves to sense it as a distinctive sensation. We've just labeled it as "wet". It has to do with the way it clings to, yet drips from, our skin.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
aren't all liquids wet by nature? I don't know, but is "wetness" a function of only one type of liquid?

Mercury is a non wetting liquid as it does not wet the surface in which it is kept as the cohesion forces within the drops are stronger than the adhesive forces between the drops and the surface. Because of its high surface tension it doesn't wet most surfaces .it is analogous to water droplet formation on lotus leave.
https://www.quora.com/Why-is-mercury-a-non-wetting-liquid
Regards

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I am not asking how is water wet, I am asking why is water wet. You guys keep giving me the hows.
There are all sorts of questions you can ask -- some simply do not make sense. Like asking, "how much does Thursday weigh?" (which is a syntactically correct question), your question is not valid because it is unanswerable. And why is it unanswerable, you ask? Because the very definition of "wet" is to be "covered or saturated with water or another liquid." Water is neither covered by nor saturated with another liquid. It is a liquid. Water is not wet, but rather wetness is a description of our experience of water in its non-frozen and non-vapor form.

Turns out there are such things as stupid questions.