• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why push your religion on people?

Smokeless Indica

<3 Damian Edward Nixon <3
I've always wanted to know why people try to push their religion on other people.
I've had it done to me a few times and it just majorly upsets me.
I've never asked but I've always wanted to ask them why they think I need religion.
I'm just fine with the way I live and I'm happy in my life.

Student of X

Paradigm Shifter
I think there is an instinctive sort of drive to unite the tribe under a single paradigm of thought - a single system/religion/mythology/science. Mythological thinking serves various functions and is tens of thousands of years old and without it we probably wouldn't have survived as long as we have.

Last edited:

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
For the same reason some people push their likes and dislikes onto others. People have a need to be "right," and therefore try to convince others that they are. Religion, because it not only serves as an opinion, but as a way of life, is one of the strongest things people can have opinions about.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
I don't. I believe we must all take actions for ourselves to discover any truths. As for others, for some religions it is a commandment (I shall make you fishermen of men.), and for some it's a concern, for some it's because they want to share what has given them peace and hope, and I'm sure there are as many different reasons as there are religions.

Smokeless Indica

I just wanted to know because I feel that right now I don't need religion in my life. I'm just happy with my life the way it is. I feel I have good morals without religion. I just don't like other people pushing their beliefs on me, whether it be religion or anything, and saying that they are right and I'm wrong.

Tarheeler

Argumentative Curmudgeon
Premium Member
I think there is an instinctive sort of drive to unite the tribe under a single paradigm of thought - a single system/religion/mythology/science. Mythological thinking serves various functions and is tens of thousands of years old and without it we probably wouldn't have survived as long as we have.

For the same reason some people push their likes and dislikes onto others. People have a need to be "right," and therefore try to convince others that they are. Religion, because it not only serves as an opinion, but as a way of life, is one of the strongest things people can have opinions about.

I think it's a bit of both of these. We instinctively look for things that unites us with other people, whether it's nationality, a favorite ball team, or a specific belief in a deity.

Add that to someone's belief that their religion is the one and only way to achieve salvation, enlightenment, cheetos in the hereafter, ect., and you have a situation ripe for active proselytizing.

Student of X

Paradigm Shifter
I just wanted to know because I feel that right now I don't need religion in my life. I'm just happy with my life the way it is. I feel I have good morals without religion. I just don't like other people pushing their beliefs on me, whether it be religion or anything, and saying that they are right and I'm wrong.

That's cool. I love talking about philosophy and metaphysics and my religious experiences. Maybe with some people excitement can look like pushiness. And I don't need to think someone 'needs' it or doesn't have good morals in order to want to talk to them about it. It's just my idea of fun.

Smokeless Indica

That's cool. I love talking about philosophy and metaphysics and my religious experiences. Sometimes excitement can look like pushiness. And I don't need to think someone 'needs' it or doesn't have good morals in order to want to talk to them about it. It's just my idea of fun.

I don't mind talking about religion with people especially since it wasn't pushed on me when I was growing up and I know very little about some and none at all about others. The people I'm talking about have actually tried to push it on me and told me I'd be spending the rest of eternity in hell if I didn't find God.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I've always wanted to know why people try to push their religion on other people.
I've never asked but I've always wanted to ask them why they think I need religion.

Why don't you like it? It is obviously for your own good.;)

Smokeless Indica

Why don't you like it? It is obviously for your own good.;)

I don't like being told I'm going to go to hell for not having religion in my life.
I don't mind religion and I like to learn about all different religions but just because I don't have one doesn't mean I'm going to hell. How can I go to hell if I'm not even sure there is one? Sometimes if feels like I'm already in hell. I think if there is one it's strictley for rapists and child molesters. Seeing how I'm neither I'm never going.

Peacewise

I agree with several reasons that posters have put up and I'd like to mention the idea of pushing back. That being when a non believer says "your religion is unnecessary" that is a push against the religion and the believer may often just push back in a misguided effort to say, "oh contra, my religion is necessary", neither side realising that it is a subjective discussion and that both have fallen into the easy trap of not saying,
"your religion is unnecessary to me" or "my religion is necessary to me" without the all important "to me" qualifier they are both pushing against each other and so both seem to be attempting to convince the other of their own view point.

The harder one pushes, the harder the other will.

Herr Heinrich

Student of Mythology
I don't like being told I'm going to go to hell for not having religion in my life.
I don't mind religion and I like to learn about all different religions but just because I don't have one doesn't mean I'm going to hell. How can I go to hell if I'm not even sure there is one? Sometimes if feels like I'm already in hell.

Don't let those kind of people bother you. If there is a hell you can be sure you will be seeing them there. And look at it this way. Satan will like them a hell of a lot less than people like us.:D

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
I don't mind religion and I like to learn about all different religions but just because I don't have one doesn't mean I'm going to hell. How can I go to hell if I'm not even sure there is one? Sometimes if feels like I'm already in hell. I think if there is one it's strictley for rapists and child molesters. Seeing how I'm neither I'm never going.

There are religions that teach heaven and hell are experienced in life, not after death. (Including my own.)

Valor

Pushing your religion on anyone is extremely unsavory and not very becoming. It is single handedly the largest turn off, even in a lasting friendship. I suggest that they keep it to themselves or plan on rekindling our friendship in the future. They are aware of my unique structure of beliefs and always try to "save" me from myself. I encourage them to keep balance between us or this debate about "saving me" will turn out rather sad... cause who's going to save you?

Smokeless Indica

There are religions that teach heaven and hell are experienced in life, not after death. (Including my own.)

I feel that way sometimes. Sometimes my life is absolutly perfect and everything is just the way I want if not better. (heaven)
Then there's other days where my life sucks balls (pardon the expression) and everything is going wrong. (Hell)

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I feel sorry for the Joho's who came to my house to preach about the merit of Noah the other day.

I gave those ignorant fools a real grilling.

People who preach in public or in someone elses private residence should be jailed for being arrogant enough to think people need their guidance.

Smokeless Indica

I just think it's pointless to try to "save" someone. I don't need to be "saved". Next time someone says I need "saved" I'm going to ask them if I look like I'm in trouble. I'm cool if you want to talk to me about your religion just don't try to make it seem like your right and I need to be "saved" and I'm going to hell.

Hell seems like more fun anyway. LOL

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I just think it's pointless to try to "save" someone. I don't need to be "saved". Next time someone says I need "saved" I'm going to ask them if I look like I'm in trouble. I'm cool if you want to talk to me about your religion just don't try to make it seem like your right and I need to be "saved" and I'm going to hell.

Hell seems like more fun anyway. LOL

I think its disgracefully arrogant to think that someone need's your help to be saved.

Its what happens when people are indoctrinated at a young age, their critical analysis skills are non-existant and they end up like what we see every day, completely useless.

301ouncer

I ask myself the same question.

Why secular satanica without any personal invitation or welcoming invades my private space?

Why Secular satanica invades my living fortress with sexual flirting ads with cheap fake smiles to corrupt my pure and innocent childeren.

Why Secular satanica send me their secular gremmlins into my PC and show my some of thier vile fruits.

Why secular satanica so intolerant that it won't allow me just want to be left alone and my family and live in peace.