• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Scientists Mostly Reject Spirituality

nanaxakivt

Scientists often dismiss spirituality because they "sealed" this ability when they were born with a mission focused on science and exploring the physical world. Despite their strong spiritual potential, their mission is to serve science, so their spiritual abilities are hidden. Some famous scientists such as Albert Einstein and Nikola Tesla experienced spiritual enlightenment late in life, after completing their mission of discovery in the field of science.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Scientists often dismiss spirituality because they "sealed" this ability when they were born with a mission focused on science and exploring the physical world. Despite their strong spiritual potential, their mission is to serve science, so their spiritual abilities are hidden. Some famous scientists such as Albert Einstein and Nikola Tesla experienced spiritual enlightenment late in life, after completing their mission of discovery in the field of science.
According to a Pew Research Center survey, around 51% of scientists believe in some form of God or a higher power, meaning roughly half of scientists report believing in a deity or higher power.

You know, it really takes all kinds to make the world go round. Not everyone can be a pastor or theologian or a monk who serves the poor on skid row. Indeed, all of these professions require the contributions of other who work the kinds of jobs that make money LOL. I enjoy the diversity. I like it that we have policemen and business owners and secretaries and plumbers.

Scientists in particular are largely responsible for modern medicine which has done an enormous job of relieving human suffering, not to mention the tech that makes our lives easier. I can't think of a more honorable profession.

Madsaac

Spirituality doesn't always have to come from 'god' it can come in other ways.

Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognise our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. So are our emotions in the presence of great art or music or literature, or acts of exemplary selfless courage such as those of Mohandas Gandhi or Martin Luther King, Jr. The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both.
The late Carl Sagan, American astrophysicist

ChatwithGod

ChatwithGod.ai
Many scientists seek tangible, testable evidence before accepting claims. Spirituality often involves faith and personal experiences that aren't as easily measured or universally observable. Still, there are many who find a harmonious balance between science and spirituality.

Scientists often dismiss spirituality ...
If that is true, maybe they reject it, because they don't know what it means. What do you think spirituality is?

I think it is interesting that Bible tells God is spirit, and God is also love. That means love is spirit. Do scientists know love?

God is spirit, and those who worship him must worship in spirit and truth.
John 4:24
He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8
We know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and he who remains in love remains in God, and God remains in him.
1 John 4:16

Interestingly it is also said:

It is the spirit who gives life. The flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and are life.
John 6:63

Maybe, if someone dismiss spirituality is that they don't like the words Jesus said.

Bharat Jhunjhunwala

TruthPrevails
Science and spirituality work with different data and different methods. Science is restricted to finite and observable phenomena, whereas spirituality pierce deeper into the logic of the observed phenomena. So those scientists who are only limited to the observed phenomena may reject spirituality.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think the missing link between science and religion/spirituality is the existence of Higher Planes of Nature (astral. etc.), that are not directly detectable by the gross physical senses and instruments.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No. Einstein and Tesla did not experience 'spiritual enlightenment' except maybe in one's own vivid imagination.

Watchmen

Premium Member
The religious often dismiss science because they “sealed” the ability to reason and think logically when they discovered believing in the spiritual reaffirmed their pre-conceived notions and made them feel good (confirmation bias). Despite the human capacity to reason and think logically, they make it their mission to serve religion, so their critical thinking skills are hidden.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
The religious often dismiss science because they “sealed” the ability to reason and think logically when they discovered believing in the spiritual reaffirmed their pre-conceived notions and made them feel good (confirmation bias). Despite the human capacity to reason and think logically, they make it their mission to serve religion, so their critical thinking skills are hidden.
Best post of the thread!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Science works with measurement, observation and evidence, not with guesswork.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Provide evidence of spiritualality that can be investigated then science will check it out.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Scientists often dismiss spirituality
It is not uncommon for science to explore human religion and spirituality. But the emphasis is on what humans believe and experience and the physical and social processes involved. NOT which form is "right."

Scientists don't necessarily dismiss spirituality. The wise ones understand that science, and the scientific method, address science-based questions. To use the scientific method in a non-scientific field, makes no sense. Just like using the historical method when addressing physics makes no sense.

Koldo

Outstanding Member

facepalm.gif

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
When you say that Nikola Tesla "experienced spiritual enlightenment late in life," you're talking about the period of his life when he fell in love with a pigeon who he swore could speak to him... right?

danieldemol

Premium Member
Just like using the historical method when addressing physics makes no sense.
According to my understanding the historical method basically boils down to an attempt at understanding what is most likely to have happened in the past. Physicists use the methods of weighing historical probability to determine that the cosmological history of the universe is far more probable than biblical and/or Quran narratives of creation.

There is nothing nonsensical about using the historical method to address physics in my view.

According to my understanding the historical method basically boils down to an attempt at understanding what is most likely to have happened in the past. Physicists use the methods of weighing historical probability to determine that the cosmological history of the universe is far more probable than biblical and/or Quran narratives of creation.

There is nothing nonsensical about using the historical method to address physics in my view.
So physicists, in this one area, an area that is history, make a historical argument based on the historical method. So they aren't doing physics, they are doing history.

Physicists are not using the historical method to deal with physics. They are using the historical method to deal with a historical question.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
The religious often dismiss science
Not all of the religious dismiss science.

"Bahá’ís reject the notion that there is an inherent conflict between science and religion, a notion that became prevalent in intellectual discourse at a time when the very conception of each system of knowledge was far from adequate. The harmony of science and religion is one of the fundamental principles of the Bahá’í Faith, which teaches that religion, without science, soon degenerates into superstition and fanaticism, while science without religion becomes merely the instrument of crude materialism."
Despite the human capacity to reason and think logically, they make it their mission to serve religion, so their critical thinking skills are hidden.
Despite the human capacity to reason and think logically, disbelievers make it their mission to disregard God and religion, so their critical thinking skills are hidden.