• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why some believers and nonbelievers don't see eye to eye on free will

CarlinKnew

No such thing as atheist and theist free will.
This is one atheist's and one theist's perspective.:facepalm:
For the sake of argument? I don't care what context, how can there be a scenario where an Atheist assumes God? This proposition defeats the whole point of the Atheist position.

First of all, no. The Atheist can't believe that.
The atheist in the original post assumes that a god exists for the sake of his argument. :facepalm:
Second of all, just because a person is designed and their environment is designed, it does not negate free will nor affirm determinism.
How can the brain/soul/will be free from its own design? Really, the argument in the original post looks valid to me. Can you explain how it's not?
Magic? Why? I don't see that as the least bit relevant.
:rolleyes:
According to Theists, God granted us free will. But this is impossible because God knows what your every move is and knows your future destiny, so you have no free will to act to the contrary. Also, God is apparently in control of everything including us because he's the omnipotent one.
That's an argument for another thread.

CarlinKnew

There is no premise four, the issue is within premise one. How the soul is designed/created.

The theist who believes in a creator deity and free will believes that man was created as a free agent able to make choices.
Can you explain what you believe a free agent is, exactly? If a free agent's choices follow from his will, and his will was designed by a god, how is the god not responsible for the agent's choices? If you wish to say the free agent's will is a "blank slate" and therefore the god is not responsible, then how could a free agent make choices if he was not designed with preferences and tendencies?

CarlinKnew

i think answer is vices of ego. the number of vices is certain and would not change. but each person has different level of every vice he has. for example gossipping is a vice. i have it and everyone has it. but none of us has it at the exact same level or not everyone does it with the same intention. just like diversity of environment, there is diversity in how our egos designed. where we were born into, where and under which conditions we grow up is not chosen by us. IMO environment we are in is chosen according to our capability and i don't believe people would be given experiences that they could not over come by using their intellect and conscience. if they fail, that means they gave into vices of ego, not the environment. vices of ego, which vices demand most among others and how strong it is is equally (or maybe more) varied

Hmm, it sounds like your argument is against free will. You say we're designed with vices and sometimes we give in to them. Wouldn't the act of succumbing to a vice be, itself, the result of another vice?

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
i think answer is vices of ego. the number of vices is certain and would not change. but each person has different level of every vice he has. for example gossipping is a vice. i have it and everyone has it. but none of us has it at the exact same level or not everyone does it with the same intention. just like diversity of environment, there is diversity in how our egos designed.

That sounds remarkably like Storm's panentheistic view. Both you seem to believe that our existence is part of a huge experiment from a God who wishes to build a wider Perfection out of utterly imperfect bricks.

where we were born into, where and under which conditions we grow up is not chosen by us.

Correct. That is one of the reasons why I find the concept of Free Will poorly named. It is not "free" to begin with.

IMO environment we are in is chosen according to our capability and i don't believe people would be given experiences that they could not over come by using their intellect and conscience. if they fail, that means they gave into vices of ego, not the environment. vices of ego, which vices demand most among others and how strong it is is equally (or maybe more) varied

Doesn't that mean that essentially our choices are to cooperate with God's desire or otherwise to fail in so doing? This a honest question. I will hazard a guess that this is something that Muslims and atheists can agree upon, although the two camps will diverge immediately after on what that implies and which sort of value that would have.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Can you explain what you believe a free agent is, exactly? If a free agent's choices follow from his will, and his will was designed by a god, how is the god not responsible for the agent's choices? If you wish to say the free agent's will is a "blank slate" and therefore the god is not responsible, then how could a free agent make choices if he was not designed with preferences and tendencies?
If I may butt in... Free from the agency of "God", i.e. "separate from God". From this perspective, our will is not "designed," else it couldn't be will, and it couldn't be ours.

Preferences and tendencies spring from will, not the other way around.

Beaudreaux

For the sake of argument? I don't care what context, how can there be a scenario where an Atheist assumes God? This proposition defeats the whole point of the Atheist position.
I am an atheist and I often, for the sake of argument, hypothetically suppose that a Theist's statments are true. I do this so that I can point out inconsistencies in their argument or unconsidered consequences to their propositions. For example, many theists say that there is a God who knows everything and they also say that humans have free will. I will often respond by saying "OK, let's assume there's a God who knows your every future action with 100% certainty. If such a God existed, how would you be able to "choose" anything God did not already foreknow?"

Discussions of this nature often entail hypothetical consideration of the other's position. If you cannot do this, then perhaps this type of discussion is not for you.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I am an atheist and I often, for the sake of argument, hypothetically suppose that a Theist's statments are true. I do this so that I can point out inconsistencies in their argument or unconsidered consequences to their propositions. For example, many theists say that there is a God who knows everything and they also say that humans have free will. I will often respond by saying "OK, let's assume there's a God who knows your every future action with 100% certainty. If such a God existed, how would you be able to "choose" anything God did not already foreknow?"

Discussions of this nature often entail hypothetical consideration of the other's position. If you cannot do this, then perhaps this type of discussion is not for you.
Assuming Theists' statements is not the same as assuming God.

CarlinKnew

If I may butt in... Free from the agency of "God", i.e. "separate from God". From this perspective, our will is not "designed,"...
The god creates the will but doesn't design it?
...else it couldn't be will, and it couldn't be ours.
As long as you have "the faculty of conscious and especially of deliberate action; the power of control the mind has over its own action" (dictionary.com), you have will. You couldn't call it "free will" in the philosophical sense, and you might argue that it's not truly yours in some deep spiritual way, but it's yours in the same way that a PC's operating system is the PC's.
Preferences and tendencies spring from will, not the other way around.
How could you decide to do something if you have no preference for what to do? How could you act if you have no - I want to say programming - for how to act?

Last edited:

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The god creates the will but doesn't design it?
What does it mean to you "to create"? Is thought created? Is thought designed?

As long as you have "the faculty of conscious and especially of deliberate action; the power of control the mind has over its own action" (dictionary.com), you have will. You couldn't call it "free will" in the philosophical sense, and you might argue that it's not truly yours in some deep spiritual way, but it's yours in the same way that a PC's operating system is the PC's.
Is the PC's operating system the PC's operating system's, though? It's a matter of who (or what) owns what.

How could you decide to do something if you have no preference for what to do? How could you act if you have no - I want to say programming - for how to act?
Programming is the antithesis of the image of "free will" presented above --the separation from "God". That is an image of total and complete responsibility for one's choices.

CarlinKnew

What does it mean to you "to create"? Is thought created? Is thought designed?
To me, "to create" means what the dictionary says it means: "to cause to come into being, as something unique that would not naturally evolve or that is not made by ordinary processes" (dictionary.com). We were discussing this from a theist's perspective, so a god causes the will to come into being, yes? As I asked, how does he do that without designing it?
Is the PC's operating system the PC's operating system's, though? It's a matter of who (or what) owns what.
Right, so the PC has an operating system (as we have will) but not necessarily a "free operating system".;)
Programming is the antithesis of the image of "free will" presented above --the separation from "God". That is an image of total and complete responsibility for one's choices.
Indeed, and that image of free will is incoherent. How do you decide to do something if you have no preferences for what to do?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
To me, "to create" means what the dictionary says it means: "to cause to come into being, as something unique that would not naturally evolve or that is not made by ordinary processes" (dictionary.com). We were discussing this from a theist's perspective, so a god causes the will to come into being, yes? As I asked, how does he do that without designing it?
With a thought. He wills it. (More below.)

Right, so the PC has an operating system (as we have will) but not necessarily a "free operating system".;)
Are you a PC with an operating system, or are you the operating system? Are you the owner and possessor of will, or are you exercising will? That's the significant difference. "God" is present in all of creation. What "God" wills with but a thought is what is at any (and every) given moment. Every moment is the present to the "God" that is present in every moment.

Look at it this way, perhaps: "to design" takes forethought. When each moment that is is happening "now", when is there time for forethought? Creation happens now.

Indeed, and that image of free will is incoherent. How do you decide to do something if you have no preferences for what to do?
It is incoherent in the framework of determinism, but it didn't come from there; it came from "now", from the person present in the current moment exercising will.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
Can you explain what you believe a free agent is, exactly? If a free agent's choices follow from his will, and his will was designed by a god, how is the god not responsible for the agent's choices?
A free agent is one who is separated from external determinism, one who determines for itself.

Who said the will was designed by God? Our will is constructed by the "I", an "I" that was created free.

If you wish to say the free agent's will is a "blank slate" and therefore the god is not responsible, then how could a free agent make choices if he was not designed with preferences and tendencies?
Through experience. If a man who has never tasted potato before is offered various different ways of serving them, how is he to order his preference of dishes? By tasting them.

CarlinKnew

Are you a PC with an operating system, or are you the operating system? Are you the owner and possessor of will, or are you exercising will? That's the significant difference.
Both. What's the significance?
With a thought. He wills it. (More below.)

"God" is present in all of creation. What "God" wills with but a thought is what is at any (and every) given moment. Every moment is the present to the "God" that is present in every moment.

Look at it this way, perhaps: "to design" takes forethought. When each moment that is is happening "now", when is there time for forethought? Creation happens now.
When he creates something with a thought, he conceives what it is that he's creating, yes? If he thinks, as he creates it, about what it is and how it works (and this is all somehow happening in the present moment), he designs it, does he not? So bringing this full circle...
If I may butt in... Free from the agency of "God", i.e. "separate from God". From this perspective, our will is not "designed," else it couldn't be will, and it couldn't be ours.
...I'm having a hard time understanding why: if this god conceives of and creates our will (with a thought, in the present moment), then our will belongs to us, but if he puts some forethought into creating it, then it's not ours.
It is incoherent in the framework of determinism, but it didn't come from there; it came from "now", from the person present in the current moment exercising will.
Still, I ask, how does the person present in the current moment decide to do something if he has no preferences for what to do? Or are his preferences suddenly materializing, completely unrelated to the past?

justbehappy

Here are two perspectives on free will, an atheist's and a theist's. For the sake of argument, they both assume that a god exists, the god is responsible for what he causes to happen, and the god creates a person named Jim.

Atheist's perspective:
1. The god designs Jim's brain/soul/will.
2. The god designs Jim's environment.
3. Jim's behavior is the result of his brain/soul/will interacting with the environment.
Conclusion: The god is responsible for Jim's behavior.

Theist's perspective:
1. The god designs Jim's brain/soul/will.
2. The god designs Jim's environment.
3. Jim's behavior is the result of his brain/soul/will interacting with the environment.
4. Magic? *
Conclusion: The god is not responsible for Jim's behavior.

* Help me comprehend this reasoning!I'd like to understand the theist's point of view.

Woah. Why would an Atheist think God is responsible for something...? :confused:

CarlinKnew

A free agent is one who is separated from external determinism, one who determines for itself.
ok
Who said the will was designed by God? Our will is constructed by the "I", an "I" that was created free.
So the will was constructed by an "I", and the "I" was created by this god. Then basically just switch "will" with "I" and my questions remain the same: If a free agent's choices follow from his will which follows from his "I", and his "I" was designed by a god, how is the god not responsible for the agent's choices?
Through experience. If a man who has never tasted potato before is offered various different ways of serving them, how is he to order his preference of dishes? By tasting them.
So you're saying he develops preferences and tendencies through experience. How did he make choices during his very first experience? He must have started with some preferences and tendencies, then had some experiences, which led to him developing new preferences and tendencies, and so on, yes? If a god designed his first preferences and tendencies, which eventually led to those that he currently has, is the god not responsible for them?

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
If a free agent's choices follow from his will which follows from his "I", and his "I" was designed by a god, how is the god not responsible for the agent's choices?
Unless given instruction in the construction of the will, that is the what and not the how, the construction is free from the will of the first agent.

If God creates us with the ability to have will but leaves what the will will be up to the creation, he is not responsible for actions the will leads us to.

So you're saying he develops preferences and tendencies through experience. How did he make choices during his very first experience?
What do you mean? Hopefully, nothing like the absurdity of the donkey who starves because he can't choose between two equal and equidistant piles of food? That without preference when confronted with a choice we would be incapable of response?

CarlinKnew

Unless given instruction in the construction of the will, that is the what and not the how, the construction is free from the will of the first agent.

If God creates us with the ability to have will but leaves what the will will be up to the creation, he is not responsible for actions the will leads us to.
Do you mean to say that a god creates an "I" (a soul?), and the "I" creates his own will, free from instruction of the god? My question is: how does the "I" do anything if it has no will? You say the "I" constructs its own will, how does it do that without "the faculty of conscious and especially of deliberate action; the power of control the mind has over its own actions" (definition of "will" from dictionary.com"). Is the "I" mindless, sort of a random number generator designed by this god?
What do you mean? Hopefully, nothing like the absurdity of the donkey who starves because he can't choose between two equal and equidistant piles of food?
Hmm, well I'm sure the donkey would prefer to eat rather than to starve. He would prefer to walk to a pile of food rather than to roll there. He might choose to walk to the left pile or to the right pile based on plenty of other preferences; maybe his right leg is stronger than his left so he favors his right side, maybe he prefers to walk away from the sun and over the smoother terrain, etc.
That without preference when confronted with a choice we would be incapable of response?
Yes, unless the response is random.

CarlinKnew

Still hoping that any believer can help me understand their reasoning on free will. At the moment I'm still of the opinion that most of them haven't thought critically about their beliefs on free will.