• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the Electoral College anyway?

buddhist

As you have so well demonstrated, it is impossible to defend the electoral method of electing the President.
I'm talking about apples while you're talking about cars. Totally different things.

I, as a State citizen and not a federal citizen, do not and cannot vote for President of the federation. Two completely different venues and jurisdictions - I have no authority to vote for the President, nor does it directly involve me.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
I did plow through it.
I saw no reason to continue the disengagement and resulting disengagement/apathy. That is why we wound up with the candidates we did.
Tom

Ok, the wonky edit box won't let me change the first "disengagement" to disenfranchisement"
Tom

Nous

Premium Member
I'm talking about apples while you're talking about cars. Totally different things.

I, as a State citizen and not a federal citizen, do not and cannot vote for President of the federation. Two completely different venues and jurisdictions - I have no authority to vote for the President, nor does it directly involve me.
So, in other words, you have no defense for the anti-democratic electoral method of electing the President.

What's so difficult about acknowledging that fact?

idav

Being
Premium Member
>>I'm positive that if it were the other way around that if Trump won majority and not the electoral I would still question a system where majority voice doesn't matter.<<

I'm positive you would not give me props even if the TRUTH hit you in the face, but that's par for the course in politics and religion.

14947568_1210269139012580_3771659126421417319_n.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/half-of-the-united-states-lives-in-these-counties-2013-9

In Cali, my vote didn't matter for POTUS (except to give me criping rights). As soon as the polls closed, the 55 electoral votes went to Clinton according to CNN ha ha. A friend of mine, who is anti-Trump, voted for Sanders (write-in) in Missouri and Trump won in no time.
Here is a more accurate depiction.
countymaprb512.png

Nous

Premium Member
Nope. Oh, I'm sorry, was that word too long for you? How about, "No."
I assume that means you cannot articulate any rational reason to be against electing the President by national popular vote.

buddhist

FYI, the popular vote has not been fully counted.

CNN, earlier yesterday, actually had on their website that Trump is expected to win the popular vote.

Nous

Premium Member
The defence is, it does not apply to me.
Who is elected President does not "apply" to you?

Who is elected President of the US affects everyone on the planet, especially when it's a lunatic who tweets all night long, who doesn't understand why using nuclear weapons is bad, and who brags about wanting to "bomb the sh*t out of" someone.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That's cool. You fight for the Act, and I'll resist it. Again, I look forward to the Act not being implemented by 2020.
Unfortunately for the country, you will probably win.
The 1% will keep on buying Washington DC and the media and things will continue to get better for them while the rest of us go down hill. Because people like you keep supporting the current situation.
Tom

idav

Being
Premium Member
FYI, the popular vote has not been fully counted.

CNN, earlier yesterday, actually had on their website that Trump is expected to win the popular vote.
I know the number are updating but HIllary is still in the lead for popular vote. Trump will gain from where? Even Alaska is almost done counting.

Acim

Revelation all the time
Unfortunately for the country, you will probably win.
The 1% will keep on buying Washington DC and the media and things will continue to get better for them while the rest of us go down hill. Because people like you keep supporting the current situation.
Tom

People like me? Hilarious. Popular vote is interesting idea, but I have actually spelled out in this thread why I see it as significant (rather enormous) draw back for way of life in America. There's a bunch of things I can think of for monkeying around with the system to try and improve things. When you don't vote, like I didn't for 4 out of 5 last cycles, you think about such things instead of contributing to the way things are via standard voting. Some of those I'm passionate about, some not so much. The one I am most passionate about currently has less than 1% chance of being enacted, so you fight the battles instead that have an actually chance of impacting people. This Act does have a chance to pass, but voicing it now right after this election, and making a push is bad strategy. Probably wouldn't even have resistance from the likes of me if not making the push right now. If aiming for 2036 instead, I can see the desire to strategize. Push for it in 2020, and I see it getting defeated so hard, it would take some supporters a good decade before they are willing to fight for it again.

idav

Being
Premium Member
People like me? Hilarious. Popular vote is interesting idea, but I have actually spelled out in this thread why I see it as significant (rather enormous) draw back for way of life in America. There's a bunch of things I can think of for monkeying around with the system to try and improve things. When you don't vote, like I didn't for 4 out of 5 last cycles, you think about such things instead of contributing to the way things are via standard voting. Some of those I'm passionate about, some not so much. The one I am most passionate about currently has less than 1% chance of being enacted, so you fight the battles instead that have an actually chance of impacting people. This Act does have a chance to pass, but voicing it now right after this election, and making a push is bad strategy. Probably wouldn't even have resistance from the likes of me if not making the push right now. If aiming for 2036 instead, I can see the desire to strategize. Push for it in 2020, and I see it getting defeated so hard, it would take some supporters a good decade before they are willing to fight for it again.
When you don't vote the electoral college counts your vote towards the winner. At least in a fair and impartial system. If your in a state with larger populace your vote doesn't count as much.