• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the law of Moses prohibits anal sex

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I'm sorry but did I miss the place where you quote the verse in the Torah forbidding anal sex??

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
My opinion is in agreement with the God of the Bible. It is wrong to try to carry out a Torah command without the legal structure which God mandated to carry out these laws.

Yes, I got that. But why did He stop to mandate those very useful and loving laws?

Ciao

- viole

Simplelogic

Going back to this, obviously God would have known that regular vaginal sex was able to spread deadly diseases which harm the very people who carry out these acts...
If a culture only had vaginal sex and did not trade partners we would have almost zero STD's. Also, vaginal sex is necessary for humans to multiply of course.

Simplelogic

I'm sorry but did I miss the place where you quote the verse in the Torah forbidding anal sex??
The Law given Moses itself only prohibits a specific sexual act between two men. Lev. 18:22 ("You shall not lie with a male as with a woman; it is an abomination.") This historically is known as the act of sodomy. This law does not prohibit all homosexual acts that are not the way one would "lie with a woman." For example, there are other sexual acts that do not involve lying as one would with a woman that might take place between men that does not violate the anti-sodomy provision of Lev. 18:22.

rosends

I happen to think that there is a sociological imperative in ancient societies to discourage male homosexuality, completely without a theological basis (though assigning one after the fact certainly makes it more powerful). Male-male love/sex stops male-female love/sex and as the primary focus of any group is the continued existence of that group, sexual behavior which cannot lead to reproduction and the continuation of the group (and which would keep people from reproductive behavior) would be discouraged. But that's just a thought I developed a few years ago.

Simplelogic

Yes, I got that. But why did He stop to mandate those very useful and loving laws?

Ciao

- viole
He didn't. Humans went against God's ways which cause the people of Israel to be dispersed to the nations of the world. God promises to restore humanity and His kingdom to the earth though.

gsa

The law of Moses does not prohibit oral sex, vaginal sex or "hand jobs". Isn't that interesting? Only anal sex.

If a culture only had vaginal sex and did not trade partners we would have almost zero STD's. Also, vaginal sex is necessary for humans to multiply of course.

But this just demonstrates how illogical your argument is. If a culture only allowed single partner anal sex, it would have zero STDs (assuming people followed the rules). And without any (adhered to) prohibition on multi-partner oral sex, you still have a risk of STDs. So all that Yahweh is addressing is one mode of transmission, and if he is not prohibiting oral sex, it is a prohibition that has nothing to do with procreation.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
I don't know how you "lie with a woman" but it seems to me that would cover almost every sex act imaginable, including oral sex and hand jobs!!!

Simplelogic

Well, that is valid for anal sex too, if you do not trade partners, as you say.

Ciao

- viole
I don't agree. I think it will be proven soon that blood mixed with fecal matter does not only spread disease but also creates new ones.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
He didn't. Humans went against God's ways which cause the people of Israel to be dispersed to the nations of the world. God promises to restore humanity and His kingdom to the earth though.

He didn't? So He is still mandating them, but we just decided to ignore Him?

Do you think we should stop ignoring Him and reintroduce those laws today?

Ciao

- viole

gsa

I happen to think that there is a sociological imperative in ancient societies to discourage male homosexuality, completely without a theological basis (though assigning one after the fact certainly makes it more powerful). Male-male love/sex stops male-female love/sex and as the primary focus of any group is the continued existence of that group, sexual behavior which cannot lead to reproduction and the continuation of the group (and which would keep people from reproductive behavior) would be discouraged. But that's just a thought I developed a few years ago.

Although this doesn't make much sense from a historical perspective. Male bisexuality did not inhibit reproduction among the Greeks and Romans, among others. It just existed alongside heterosexual sex.

Simplelogic

I don't know how you "lie with a woman" but it seems to me that would cover almost every sex act imaginable, including oral sex and hand jobs!!!
The passage is obviously implying a male having INTERCOURSE with a male in the same way a male does with a female. Anal sex.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I don't agree. I think it will be proven soon that blood mixed with fecal matter does not only spread disease but also creates new ones.

so, all your argumentation is based on a hunch. No evidence whatsoever, apart from your opinion that it will be proven soon. Correct?

Ciao

- viole

rosends

Although this doesn't make much sense from a historical perspective. Male bisexuality did not inhibit reproduction among the Greeks and Romans, among others. It just existed alongside heterosexual sex.
I was thinking well before then but your point is well taken.