• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why was God's name removed from most bibles?

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
I have tried to give you the Jewish perspective, but you seem to be at a loss for understanding it. It's not about "the right rabbi."

So tell me then, why are there orthodox, conservative, reform and other groups with leading rabbis? Differing viewpoints?
look, you have your beliefs, but I'm just working through this with you. It's almost like Catholics woshipping Mary but Protestants do not. They profess to be Christian but have different ideas. We'll wait I guess to see if God (written out God) is pleased in the long run.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
So tell me then, why are there orthodox, conservative, reform and other groups with leading rabbis? Differing viewpoints?
look, you have your beliefs, but I'm just working through this with you. It's almost like Catholics woshipping Mary but Protestants do not. They profess to be Christian but have different ideas. We'll wait I guess to see if God (written out God) is pleased in the long run.
Why wouldn't there be differences of opinion?

And lets put this into perspective. There are four movements in Judaism. There are tens of thousands of denominations in Christianity. So maybe you should look into that before you point out the variety of Jewish thought.

And your point does not bolster your conclusions. Variety within Judaism has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that all Jewish movements only consider the Hebrew texts to be canon.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
To me, saying you cant understand it unless you kow Hebrew makes no sense. I think people speaking of the Hebrew scriptures are the only people ive ever heard make such a claim about language.
It gets a little complicated -- because the Scriptures themselves were not always transmitted in Hebrew texts to the Jewish people over the ages. Many Jews who go to synagogue upon occasion do not understand a word of Hebrew. And they don't care, it's also about holding up tradition. OK, it's an interessting subject.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
It's bizarre to me that people would be so hostile to learning what a text actually says in the original language it's written in. Why wouldn't you want to know what a text says, and means, in the original language? Seems to me rather vital to grasping the author's original meaning.

It's bizarre to me that people would be so hostile to learning what a text actually says in the original language it's written in. Why wouldn't you want to know what a text says, and means, in the original language? Seems to me rather vital to grasping the author's original meaning.
At first that does seem logical. But thats what translations are for, so you dont have to learn another language to understand something. Many people already learned a language(like Hebrew) or grew up with it and shared it in another language. It seems to me some people like to think they hold all the cards by knowing a language that you dont, which isnt the case. Jesus knew Hebrew and they claimed he was wrong too.

rosends

Is studying Shakespeare in German translation going to give all the insights and understandings that studying it in Shakespearean English would give?
No.

Is studying the US Constitution in Russian translation going to help someone understand the subtleties and intricacies of constitutional law?
No.

Does an actor's calling Macbeth "The Scottish play" out of a sense of loyalty to stage tradition mean he is covering up the name?
No.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Many bible translations with a preface will admit that it has been replaced. How many times? Come to find out God's name has been removed over 7,000 times per bible!

There is a proper name for God in Hebrew which is "Yhwh." There is a word in Hebrew which means "lord" and it is "Adonay"-or a similar form of the root word.
It has never been Christian practice to address God with the Tetragrammaton.

Why is it important to know God's name?

Joel 2:32 "And everyone who calls on the name of "YHWH" will be saved..."- This verse is also referenced in the Greek scriptures(New Testament) at Acts 2:21 and Romans 10:13.

According to the verses it is of utmost importance to use His name. Many bibles have a rendering of it in Psalm 83:18 "That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth."-King James version
I do not need to address God with the Tetragrammaton to know the Lord's identity as God. Also, God's name isn't Jehovah which is a rendering based on a mistranslation.

Ultimately who in the universe would try to hide such a basic bible truth? Since we need to know His name to be saved simply hiding it would be a tactic of Satan. Remember his 1st lie in Genesis? "Certainly you won't die." What a trickster!
There's no conspiracy, it's an issue of tradition. As a Christain I believe I'm saved though the salvific power of Christ and not though the use of a particular name.

It has never been Christian practice to address God with the Tetragrammaton.

I do not need to address God with the Tetragrammaton to know the Lord's identity as God. Also, God's name isn't Jehovah which is a rendering based on a mistranslation.

There's no conspiracy, it's an issue of tradition. As a Christain I believe I'm saved though the salvific power of Christ and not though the use of a particular name.
"I believe" vs what God says to do are often very 2 different things. Several verses were posted where scriptures say you need to use God's name. But thats only if you believe scripture is from God and you obey it-

"However, become doers of the word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves with false reasoning." James 1:22

Brian2

Veteran Member

Why do you think that translations do not tell us what the original language says literally and means.?
And who is hostile to to learning what a text actually says in the original language anyway?
How do you think I can find out what a text says and means in the original language when I don't know Hebrew or Greek?

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
"I believe" vs what God says to do are often very 2 different things. Several verses were posted where scriptures say you need to use God's name. But thats only if you believe scripture is from God and you obey it-
Do you find it curious that the New Testament never uses the Tetragrammaton?

No, I dont. The NT scriptures are not the originals. Man's traditions had already sunk in. When Jesus read in the synagogues it would have been in Hebrew and he would have read it accurately. Also when Jesus quoted the OT he wouldnt have replaced Gods name with adjectives.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Why is it important to know God's name?

Joel 2:32 "And everyone who calls on the name of "YHWH" will be saved..."- This verse is also referenced in the Greek scriptures(New Testament) at Acts 2:21 and Romans 10:13.

Does that mean that being a Christian is not important, as long as I know the name Jehovah and call on Him and pray to Him?

Romans 10:8............“The word is near you, in your mouth and in your heart” (that is, the word of faith that we proclaim); 9 because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. 10 For with the heart one believes and is justified, and with the mouth one confesses and is saved. 11 For the Scripture says, “Everyone who believes in him will not be put to shame.” 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord of all, bestowing his riches on all who call on him. 13 For “everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.”
14 How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching?

In the above passage it does say "everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved" but it says that in the middle of a passage about spreading the gospel about Jesus and calling on the name of Jesus. Do you think it might be actually telling us that Jesus is the name we are to call on, that Jesus is YHWH? It certainly looks that way.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
At first that does seem logical. But thats what translations are for, so you dont have to learn another language to understand something. Many people already learned a language(like Hebrew) or grew up with it and shared it in another language. It seems to me some people like to think they hold all the cards by knowing a language that you dont, which isnt the case. Jesus knew Hebrew and they claimed he was wrong too.

How would you know if the translation you're reading is accurate, though? The most obvious, direct way to do that is to familiarize yourself with the original language so you can directly understand it without translation. Then you'll be able to know how accurate a translation is. Without that, you're flying blindly in the hope that the translation you read is correct.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Why do you think that translations do not tell us what the original language says literally and means.?

A few reasons: 1) it can be difficult to translate some terms and phrases from one language to another, 2) many translations of the Bible exist, and they do not all agree with one another, 3) some styles of translation do not even try to produce word-for-word literal translation. Rather they attempt to recreate the meaning of a text in modern language.

And who is hostile to to learning what a text actually says in the original language anyway?

The OP seemed to be. Perhaps she'll clarify.

How do you think I can find out what a text says and means in the original language when I don't know Hebrew or Greek?

The most obvious way is by learning Hebrew or Greek. If you don't have the time or resources for that, there are also dictionaries that can at least help you look up individual words if you want to know their original meaning.