• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would you get married?

Altfish

Veteran Member
If you were never married or if you are divorced or widowed, why would you want to get married? In other words, what are the reasons to be married over remaining single?

I think people would want to be married if they plan to have children and raise a family, but other than that why would you have a desire to get married if you are not married?

I am mostly curious about people who are older and single but would like to get married. What are the reasons why older people want to get married if they were never married, or remarry if they were or divorced or widowed? In other words, why would an older person want to be married as opposed to remaining single and living alone?

If you are young or old, single and happy with no desire to get married, please explain why you have no desire to get married.

If you are young or old, and single and unhappy being single, and you have a desire to get married, please explain why you have a desire to get married.

As usual, I have a reason for asking these questions which will be revealed later.

Thanks, Trailblazer. :)
In UK: Tax benefits, certainty of inheritance.

JustGeorge

Out of Order
Staff member
Premium Member
The state of Texas puts out a book about marriage - it's not religious or required at all, but wow, it was really, really good! It talked about finances, vacations, who takes out the trash, etc. and it really makes one think things through. Plus I think it's three days between when you turn in your paperwork and pick up the book (which is small) and when you can get married. Or rather, it used to be but who knows now?
In the state of Iowa, they send SNAP(food stamp) recipients a paper twice a year telling them the 'benefits of a healthy marriage'. If they marry, their income guidelines change, and they get their SNAP program halved(or canceled). (But they don't mention that in the paper.)

Seemed shady to me.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Me, I never saw any advantage to it, so I never married.
Any advantage compared to what, living together out of wedlock, or just having a girlfriend?

I never planned to marry either. I never even thought about it and I was not even dating or looking for a man.
My late husband just showed up on my doorstep. We got married 3 weeks later and we were married for 37 years.

Now it is really strange living alone since I never lived alone except for a couple of years of my life before I got married. The rest of the time I lived with my sister or my mother.