• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Creationism slowly fade away into oblivion?

dust1n

Zindīq
How much longer do we have to look at this creationist stuff?! Will it be gone for good one day? :D

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
To loosely paraphrase PT Barnum, there's an idiot born every minute. We won't ever get rid of simple, but wrong explanations of natural phenomenon.

Raban

Hagian
I hope certainly hope so.. Though I am a devout theist, it when taken literally is simply ignorant. Though I believe in much of the Bible, I cannot maintain that the Creation story (or many stories in Abrahamic Theism) were literal. Though in some respects there are similarities in the Creation story and scientific explanation of the universe, I think it was a story composed to settle the culture of the time.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
How much longer do we have to look at this creationist stuff?! Will it be gone for good one day? :D
Are you talking about the way some creationists merely spread lies and false information about evolution thinking that they are somehow proving creationism?

If so, I seriously doubt it will ever be totally eradicated.

dust1n

Zindīq
I hope certainly hope so.. Though I am a devout theist, it when taken literally is simply ignorant. Though I believe in much of the Bible, I cannot maintain that the Creation story (or many stories in Abrahamic Theism) were literal. Though in some respects there are similarities in the Creation story and scientific explanation of the universe, I think it was a story composed to settle the culture of the time.

That seems incredibly reasonable, and I wonder if the trend is much more prevalent and how much more prevalent it will be in the future.

dust1n

Zindīq
Are you talking about the way some creationists merely spread lies and false information about evolution thinking that they are somehow proving creationism?

If so, I seriously doubt it will ever be totally eradicated.

Yes, ultimately. Maybe not totally eradicated... there are still people who believe the Earth is flat and stuff... but will there be a one day when RF's EvC forum is basically empty?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
No... at best it will level off at around 10% of the population.

That's the odd standard for crack pot/outdated ideas.

Naturally this will also vary depending on what type of creationism you are talking about. Hard core Biblical literalists vs. soft theistic evolution.

wa:do

Skwim

Veteran Member
As long as fundamentalist Christians are around, creationism will be with us.

and you can take that to the bank! ;)

Shermana

Heretic
Considering that Creationists have far more babies than non-Creationists, it might be the other way around. Ironically, evolution seems to be weeding out the Evolutionists due to their lifestyle choices.

The mainstream shift from Creation to non-Creation in places like Europe is a very recent phenomenon that will probably die off with the current generation.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
But it makes so much sense. If God created the Earth, put water on it and made some plants, it is only logical that he'd have to make a sun. Otherwise, how would the plants survive without sunlight? He is so wise and thoughtful too. Think about it. Why after making the Earth would he need zillions of galaxies full of stars? To give us something to look at night. Yes, he made everything perfect until we disobeyed him and screwed everything up.

But again, he is so kind and thoughtful, he drowned everybody and everything exactly 4000 years ago, so we'd have a second chance. We're not doing too good are we. Thank God he is so benevolent and is going to save some of us and make everything perfect again. And how do I know this is true? By what I assume, excuse me, I mean what I believe is an accurate and truthful book handed down to us by ancient people (who would never lie or make up things) says so. So who you going to believe? The reality of a mysterious, invisible spirit-being that lives in the hearts of his believers or things that seem true because they seem to be what is really happening in the physical world?

Call us crazy, but it took an intelligent being to create things like black holes and supernovas and things like flesh-eating bacteria and viruses. Do you honestly think that asteroids crashing into planets happen by chance? Do you think death and disease just happened? When a volcano blows up or an earthquake happens, you think this is just natural events? No, it took a kind, loving God to think all this up to keep us on our toes and thinking of him. So, no matter what you say, evolution is wrong, because if it were true, then why would we need a creator?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Considering that Creationists have far more babies than non-Creationists, it might be the other way around. Ironically, evolution seems to be weeding out the Evolutionists due to their lifestyle choices.

The mainstream shift from Creation to non-Creation in places like Europe is a very recent phenomenon that will probably die off with the current generation.
If creationism was genetic you might have a point.

But short of ridding the world of Science or preventing all of them from getting an education, you aren't going to get rid of Evolution.

wa:do

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I fully expect Anti-Evolutionism (which is what is usually meant by "Creationism") to be extinct in a couple of generations. As extinct as, say, white supremacism is today, anyway.

dust1n

Zindīq
Wow... there is a lot of... opposing views here. And what is peculiar, is that they all seem to be based on environment, or at least, inevitable fact, in some regard.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

I like this, Evolution is taught with out proper schooling and then lack of procreation by people that can teach evolution who knows. Something throws society into the dark ages again and evolution can be lost. I mean it took us 100's of thousands of years to learn it. It could take us as many again. The funny thing is that it wouldn't matter.

edit: It occurred to me some of the same people that are arguing for evoloution are arguing for free condoms in colleges. I don't know but it sounds like they may be gone a lot sooner than the religious.

Last edited:

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
Look at it from a historical perspective. In early Christianity, the idea of taking the creation story in Genesis literally was almost non-extant. Almost none of the early Christians took it literally. That didn't happen until well after the Reformation, and started with, I believe, John Calvin. The Separatists from the Church of England then began to take it literally. It became the prevalent idea for a time, but recently, with the advent of liberalism and progressivism in the church, a non-literal view of the creation story is taking root. So, it will decline, yes, but not wholly die away, but it will become an extreme minority view within Christianity-for a time, anyway. Eventually, as long as there is a Christianity, it will make a comeback, and then nearly die away again. It will go through phases as long as there is a Christianity. Or, that's my take on it, anyway.

CG Didymus

Veteran Member
Look at it from a historical perspective. In early Christianity, the idea of taking the creation story in Genesis literally was almost non-extant. Almost none of the early Christians took it literally. That didn't happen until well after the Reformation, and started with, I believe, John Calvin. The Separatists from the Church of England then began to take it literally. It became the prevalent idea for a time, but recently, with the advent of liberalism and progressivism in the church, a non-literal view of the creation story is taking root. So, it will decline, yes, but not wholly die away, but it will become an extreme minority view within Christianity-for a time, anyway. Eventually, as long as there is a Christianity, it will make a comeback, and then nearly die away again. It will go through phases as long as there is a Christianity. Or, that's my take on it, anyway.
Is fundamental Christianity dying? They don't need a lot of numbers because they are so spiritually militant. They will fight 'til the end. They can't let the Bible fall or be shown to be false in anything. That would destroy them. The better the arguments against any part of the Bible being false only makes them dig in their heels deeper and fight harder. They will never go away. The best you can do is try and contain them. Reason doesn't work against them. Scientific proof doesn't work. Maybe ignoring them? Naw, it's too much fun arguing with them.