• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wisdom

elmarna

I am always looking to enrich my life.
All of you call upon a piece of wisdom that makes your life better.
Could you take the time to share with me this wonederful gift!
I humblely thank you for your kindness with great sincerity!:foryou:

I quote my favorite quote from my favorite author Frank Herbert: "Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty."

InChrist

Free4ever
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom, And the knowledge of the Holy One is understanding. Proverbs 9:10

Bob Dixon

>implying
"Lord, if I seek you because I fear hell, burn me in hell.
If I seek you to attain paradise, exclude me from paradise.
If I worship you for your own sake, do not deprive me from your eternal beauty."
-al-Basri

Greetings,

Nice thread, I personally liked the quotes supplied thus far and am also a fan of Kahlil Gibran.

"dance a bunch !!" ~ crustymucus

best,
swampy

"Wisdom is more mobile than any motion;
because of her pureness she pervades and penetrates all things.

For she is a breath of the power of God,
and a pure emanation of the glory of the Almighty;
therefore nothing defiled gains entrance into her.

For she is a reflection of eternal light,
a spotless mirror of the working of God,
and an image of his goodness.

Although she is but one, she can do all things,
and while remaining in herself, she renews all things;
in every generation she passes into holy souls
and makes them friends of God, and prophets;
for God loves nothing so much as the person who lives with wisdom.

She is more beautiful than the sun,
and excels every constellation of the stars.

Compared with the light she is found to be superior,
for it is succeeded by the night, but against wisdom
evil does not prevail.
"

-- Wisdom 24:30 (NRSV)​

Without our History and our customs what would we be? Like the leaves that float down the stream in the Autumn, lifeless things coming from nowhere, going nowhere.
Gvnega Tawodi

Somerled32

Traveler~ 2B1ASK1
This is from the movie Heartbreak Ridge (prob one of my favorite Clint Eastwood movie EVER) where one of Clint's (Gunny Highway's) Marines (Swede Johanson) is afraid to parachute out of a helicopter:
Johanson: Gunny, I'm afraid of heights!
Highway: So am I.
Johanson: You are?
Highway: Jumping out of a perfectly good aircraft is not a natural act, so let's do it right and enjoy the view.

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
make sure to read the funnies in the news paper.

dyanaprajna2011

Dharmapala
"To do good, and avoid evil, and purify the mind, this is the teaching of all Buddhas." from the Dhammapada.
"Although gold dust is precious, when it gets in your eyes, it obstructs your vision." -Hsi-Tang

The first one, from the Dhammapada, is one of my all time most cherished quotes, as it describes the beautiful simplicity of Buddhism. The second one I like, because it has layers of meanings, if you look for them.

chinu

chinu

" True piece of wisdom can never make our life's better, Because we are in the habit of leading easy life's "

" Never search for the things which can make our life easy, Because it gives birth to the fear of loosing it "

_/\_
Chinu

not nom

I love collecting quotes, here are a few random ones :)

Walt Kelly said:
Traces of nobility, gentleness and courage persist in all people, do what we will to stamp out the trend. So, too, do those characteristics which are ugly. It is just unfortunate that in the clumsy hands of a cartoonist all traits become ridiculous, leading to a certain amount of self-conscious expostulation and the desire to join battle.

There is no need to sally forth, for it remains true that those things which make us human are, curiously enough, always close at hand. Resolve then, that on this very ground, with small flags waving and tinny blast on tiny trumpets, we shall meet the enemy, and not only may he be ours, he may be us.

Forward!

William Ellery Channing said:
[..] an earnest purpose finds time or makes time. It seizes on spare moments, and turns large fragments of leisure to golden account. A man who follows his calling with industry and spirit, and uses his earnings economically, will always have some portion of the day at command; and it is astonishing how fruitful of improvement a short season becomes, when eagerly seized and faithfully used. It has often been observed, that they who have most time at their disposal profit by it least. A single hour in the day, steadily given to the study of an interesting subject, brings unexpected accumulations of knowledge.

Kahlil Gibran said:
Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth.

Albert Einstein said:
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius - and a lot of courage - to move in the opposite direction.

George Carlin said:
Personally, I'd never want to be a member of any group where you either have to wear a hat or you can't wear a hat.

Chinese proverb said:
Deep doubts, deep wisdom; small doubts, little wisdom.

African proverb said:
When elefants do battle, the grass suffers.

Mitch Hedberg said:
I saw a human pyramid once. It was totally unnecessary.

D. H. Lawrence said:
I never saw a wild thing
sorry for itself.
A small bird will drop
frozen dead from a bough
without ever having felt
sorry for itself.

George Carlin said:
It's true that I detest organised, bigtime, major league religions... but I love spiritual individuals, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking... I love people, I hate crowds, groups, organisations... soon they become zealots, then they start wearing hats... then they have fight songs and come and visit you at 3 am in the morning...

Joseph Campbell said:
People are always talking about looking for the meaning of life, when what they're really looking for is a deep experience of life.

Erich Fromm said:
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence.