• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would an abrahamic believer pick up a book with "witchcraft" as its title?

McBell

Admiral Obvious
What type of book was it? Baptist tend to have "witchcraft books" but then don't call it that. Depends on where they from, though.
My Grandma told me she wanted to know what witchcraft is, not from those who vilify it, from those who practice it.
So she gathered all the books she could get her hands on to learn from those who practice it, to get their perspectives.

She died believing witchcraft was wrong, but at least she understood what witchcraft is to many people.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
As long as it's not in the DIY section of the book store, why not?

Dang be a mug!

@Quagmire, you win. You were right... @BSM1 is not The Lizard King after all... o_O:oops: I guess I owe you a Coke ( or a soda depending or your vernacular ) ...

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
My Grandma told me she wanted to know what witchcraft is, not from those who vilify it, from those who practice it.
So she gathered all the books she could get her hands on to learn from those who practice it, to get their perspectives.

She died believing witchcraft was wrong, but at least she understood what witchcraft is to many people.

My. I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know many Christians, Baptist at that, who read books like that to learn. Maybe to talk against "the enemy" but most don't even like the word. Words have power I guess.

McBell

Admiral Obvious
My. I'm sorry to hear that. I don't know many Christians, Baptist at that, who read books like that to learn. Maybe to talk against "the enemy" but most don't even like the word. Words have power I guess.
My Grandma was a firm believer in the adage "Tell everyone you meet about Jesus Christ. Use words ONLY if you have to"

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
I've heard of one pastor who picked up a witchcraft neo-pagan book to beat false witness against it during his sermon. I also know one who even had a Satanic Bible just to read it and know it.
... That makes sense ... { Sarcastic } :rolleyes: :cool:

However if left to my own devices, I personally prefer "The Big Leather Bible" for spankings.. { less sarcastic }

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
@Unveiled Artist ,

Here's some books from my personal collection.

They completely flip the stereotype about magical/occult practice in the Jewish Tradition.

( see attached image )

Besides being facinsting books all on their own, the bibliographies of these books are arguably the most valuable aspect of these as resources. The learning opportunity from having access to books like this and others with occult subject matter , IMO, far outweighs any concerns of mine about whether or not they are "Kosher".

In support of this, going from memory, the first volume of the Babylonian Talmud ends with a memorable discussion/set of examples of the extreme measures some individuals employ for the sake of "learning". When I read this discussion, taking into account that it occurs at the very end of the first volume, I cannot help but make the following conclusion:

Whatever a person does, if it is genuinely for the purpose of "learning", an argument can be made to limit the liability of the actions and the culpability of the student. Put simply: It seems to me that the Talmud supports a Machiavellian approach to learning.

I highly doubt that a Talmudic Scholar would agree with this conclusion, btw. So YMMV.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191223_005629.jpg
    Screenshot_20191223_005629.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 0

exchemist

Veteran Member
Why or why not?

Wanted to see something
It would depend on what, about witchcraft, is its subject, and on who wrote it. For instance, a review of the history and anthropology of witchcraft in various societies would be interesting, if the author is a serious authority. Whereas a book claiming that witchcraft is a kind of religion, with something to offer in the modern era, written by a modern devotee, would not be.

whirlingmerc

Haha. Not quite occult, but not many people differentiate. They put it all under witchcraft. I've been interested in it lately but not in the neo- way. So, it's kinda a hit and miss.

https://www.amazon.com/Backwoods-Wi...eywords=backwoods+magic&qid=1577077152&sr=8-1

In Backwoods Witchcraft, Jake Richards offers up a folksy stew of family stories, lore, omens, rituals, and conjure crafts that he learned from his great-grandmother, his grandmother, and his grandfather, a Baptist minister who Jake remembers...
-

This is actually a good book. It has the author's personal and childhood experiences of conjure (not witchcraft) and his personal passion of it. I'm not too much for the conjure given that part of my family are pretty much not even in my area; but, the books are good nonetheless.

https://www.amazon.com/Working-Conj...CMEHR8TK258&psc=1&refRID=NSQREPAADCMEHR8TK258

He talks about his own experiences but it's a bit more "popular reading" than the former.

Haha. You asked. Mother was into all of this but she kinda gave it up for the 21st century four jobs, four kids, and two turtle doves.

If it's something glorifying witchcraft... probably not

It brings to mind the witch of Endor who Saul visited the eve of his death.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It would depend on what, about witchcraft, is its subject, and on who wrote it. For instance, a review of the history and anthropology of witchcraft in various societies would be interesting, if the author is a serious authority. Whereas a book claiming that witchcraft is a kind of religion, with something to offer in the modern era, written by a modern devotee, would not be.

Thank you. Some people are put off by the word rather than observing whether the context of the book matches the bias they attached to the word. There are a lot of anthologies about witchcraft. I haven't read them in full, of course. They range from everywhere across the word but the problem is it has a christian slant to it so it seems more demonic than anything else. As an academic topic, though, I can see that.