• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would You Die for Your Beliefs?

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I would die rather than renounce Jesus Christ. He is not simply a belief to me, but a Living Person and Savior who gave His life for my eternal life. I prefer not to die by a gun to the head, but hope that I would value Him more than this temporal life and enough that I would not renounce Him if faced with the situation above.

What if the gun was pointed at me, and they told you to renounce your beliefs or I would be shot?

This question is for everyone.

If someone held a gun to your head and told you to renounce your current beliefs and swear belief in what they told you to believe, otherwise they would kill you, would you do it? Why or why not?

What if you were a leader within your belief system and this took place with an audience of millions on television?

Would it have any meaning to do so? Would it have any value to not do so?

Does martyrdom have any value?

Hard one to answer.
I would likely do as the person said as this seems to be the least damaging to the other.
If i just said "do it" and they did shoot me, they would believe they had killed me which is unhelpful for their progress.
Then again I may just laugh at the idea of death and let whatever happens... happen.

As far as I am aware martyrdom is dying for God ...... which is a complete oxymoron ....... given that God is LIFE, dying for him is .....well just bizarre !

I was just thinking about examples of biblical martyrs. It's not as if they were given many options.
I think some were given options ... John for instance if we take the story literally judged ...... and the price he paid for that judgement was beheading..... by those he judged as unworthy.
In my own path it was non judgement that led me Home ...... To see all through Christs eyes ... Perfect Loves eyes ...

Etritonakin

I think some were given options ... John for instance if we take the story literally judged ...... and the price he paid for that judgement was beheading..... by those he judged as unworthy.
In my own path it was non judgement that led me Home ...... To see all through Christs eyes ... Perfect Loves eyes ...

I meant that by the time people intended to kill them, there was little choice left.
I suppose Christ could have explained in greater detail to Pilate that he did not intend to challenge Roman rule or to lead The Jews against Rome ("King of the Jews" was the charge for which he was crucified), but that's not to say it would have made a difference.

It doesn't seem their deaths were a "Take it all back and we'll let you go" sort of situation.

I'm not actually familiar with how Or why John met his demise.

Etritonakin

Well, that is a difficult question. I would immediately pray for wisdom. In that kind of situation I would consider lying for the sake of your life just as Christians lied to the Nazis in order to save Jews during WW2.

I definitely can imagine various scenarios where I might do the wrong thing for the right reason before thinking of a better option -so praying for wisdom and the right course of action is an excellent idea.

I have also been thinking about how difficult it might be to save anyone these days.
So much technology and information is available that hiding and lying would be of little effect against those in control of those things, if they should decide to seek people out -though they would be more capable of lying and hiding information and themselves.

Last edited:

InChrist

Free4ever
I definitely can imagine various scenarios where I might do the wrong thing for the right reason before thinking of a better option -so praying for wisdom and the right course of action is an excellent idea.

I have also been thinking about how difficult it might be to save anyone these days.
So much technology and information is available that hiding and lying would be of little effect against those in control of those things if they should decide to seek people out -though they would be more capable of lying and hiding information and themselves.

I think you are correct, the technology and amount of private information available on everyone would make things much more difficult.