• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Would you rather live in a world without science...or in a world without religion?

FranklinMichaelV.3

I'd say science does more to kill us - with pollution, bombs,
just look at this mess: What do Pesticides, Herbicides and Antibiotics have in Common?

• antibiotic-resistant pathogenic bacteria – often termed 'superbugs'
  • pesticide-resistant pests – also called 'superbugs'
  • herbicide-resistant weeds – now termed 'superweeds'

"From 2001 to 2010, toxic herbicide application grew by 81 million pounds – 26 percent. But the application of glyphosate to the three biggest genetically engineered crops skyrocketed from 15 million pounds in 1996 to 150 million pounds in 2012 – this is a ten-fold rise"

What a mess...

and no, sweetheart, religion has not killed that many people - atheist communist regimes sure have though...

Do you believe in evolution?

FranklinMichaelV.3

Again school books.

Diseases which affect the brain can affect the soul too.

The body will be out of control if the brain was affected (soul can't control the body if the brain is disabled)

One example is using the marijuana and it's effect on brain and the spiritual feeling.

The body will be out of control and then the brain will work by itself,so one may jump from a high building by the brain being out of control.

Just think of it – scandalously clad co-eds, jumping out of windows. Poor innocent young girls, acting under the influence of MARIHUANA (the Weed of Madness), lives ruined . . . etc. BOY, that makes for good press. But there was only one problem; -- where exactly were these innocent young girls?
Reference: HARRY ANSLINGER'S GORE FILE ILLINOIS - GIRLS JUMPING OUT OF WINDOWS

The brain is very important part of our body. :yes:

I'm not sure you understand how integrated the body and brain are. But also how the nervous system includes the brain and isn't just the brain. Also I'm not sure the last link you have defends your view.

FranklinMichaelV.3

within species - I'm "agnostic" on macro, lean more towards panspermia - either way, it has no bearing on my religious beliefs.

Just asking because what you posted about bacteria are an example of evolution. But the actual impacts themselves aren't from science but from the application of engineering.

So all those you posted blame politicians and engineers, scientist see if its possible they (politicians, engineers) make it happen.

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
Each step is more confined and restraining. Till, as humanity has seen time and time again, punishments including torture and death, for the 'crime' of doubting have been and are still administered by the ministries.
Rubbish!

Out of curiosity, where are your definitions coming from here?

Enai de a lukal

Well, sure, if you're referring to structures and systems. But that's not what the OP is alluding to in its question. Spirituality transcends the structures and systems we've built to contain it. Art is inherently spiritual, because it is transformative and transcendental for us. It takes us deeply within ourselves and moves us -- changes us. That's what spirituality does.

Only, this doesn't mean that art falls under the umbrella of spirituality- it means that the two have similar uses. And again, if we say "art is inherently spiritual" then we've granted "spiritual/spirituality" such a broad range of usage so as to render the term nearly meaningless; particularly given the ridiculously broad range of things which can be accurately described as art.

Our water is poisoned. Our food is tainted. Our air is polluted. Our aural space is inundated with noise. Our nighttime is obscured by light pollution. Our oxygen-producing rain forests are disappearing at an alarming rate. Greenhouse gases are melting the polar icecaps. We have learned how to take and to supersede; we have not learned how to live alongside and nurture. And all because of the technology science has provided.
You're also failing to mention that the methods of measuring these harms is a function of... you guessed it, science, and that the methods of correcting these harms is also provided by... ding!ding!ding!- science.

In any case, compared to the death and suffering of human beings, air population is small potatoes.

you're patently mistaken. Christianity is focused on feeding the hungry, clothing the naked, welcoming the stranger, and loving our neighbor. Sure, some folks (especially American protestants) have come self-absorbed on getting themselves to heaven, but that's not really the focus of the religion. The atomistic approach to the cosmos, including hatred of women and women's bodies, is a relatively recent phenomenon within Christianity, and doesn't reflect the "focus" of the religion, either.
Sounds like you've been hanging around too many fundigelicals.
:facepalm:

Oh dear... You need to read the writers of your own tradition then, because this is so wildly mistaken, one has to wonder whether you aren't simply delusional. (for instance: is Paul a self-absorbed American Protestant "fundgelical"?)

And worse, the only way to claim that Christianity is not a religion of death, a religion of flies, a religion of otherworldly pipe-dreams, is to repudiate the basic, most fundamental teachings that define the Christianity faith, i.e. there is no God, there is no will of God, there is no kingdom of heaven, and so on.

idea

Question Everything
Just asking because what you posted about bacteria are an example of evolution. But the actual impacts themselves aren't from science but from the application of engineering.

So all those you posted blame politicians and engineers, scientist see if its possible they (politicians, engineers) make it happen.

Yes, and all the evils of religion are not from God, but from followers who misapply.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Yes, and all the evils of religion are not from God, but from followers who misapply.

How do they misapply? Can 1+1=2 in the math agreed on in the world? That is accepted Universally and that's a man made product. I will not say they misapplied. It's what it is to them. They certainly don't see it as misapplication and under what can we use to say that it is?

Daemon Sophic

Rubbish!

Out of curiosity, where are your definitions coming from here?

:rolleyes: Common usage, personal history, and multiple dictionaries; all of which agree on the same definitions. :yes:

Me thinks you are throwing around the terms "spirituality", and "religion", so willy-nilly and interchangeably that they no longer have significance to you or to those who may try to communicate with you about these seperate subjects. :sorry1:

idea

Question Everything
How do they misapply? Can 1+1=2 in the math agreed on in the world? That is accepted Universally and that's a man made product. I will not say they misapplied. It's what it is to them. They certainly don't see it as misapplication and under what can we use to say that it is?

Yes, the concept of "love your neighbor" is also accepted universally, and yet people don't follow it.... 1+1=2, and yet the 3rd law of thermo states that you can't break even, so in reality, it never does quite add up to what idealistically it should.

FranklinMichaelV.3

Yes, the concept of "love your neighbor" is also accepted universally, and yet people don't follow it.... 1+1=2, and yet the 3rd law of thermo states that you can't break even, so in reality, it never does quite add up to what idealistically it should.

I'm not sure the law of thermodynamics works in the case of 1+1=2 but I haven't studied it enough to speak on it.

But the difference is that man formed these other concepts. Religion is in many ways defined as revealed truth by a lot of adherents. So my point is why is there differences? I was raised baptist but I deviate from a lot of Protestant baptist thinking. But I've read the same bible as what we call fundamentalists yet what I see and what they see vary? There seems to be no perfect consensus among the religions( the western ones). And due to that there are a melange of different results.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
I'd say science does more to kill us - with pollution, bombs,
just look at this mess: What do Pesticides, Herbicides and Antibiotics have in Common?

• antibiotic-resistant pathogenic bacteria – often termed 'superbugs'
  • pesticide-resistant pests – also called 'superbugs'
  • herbicide-resistant weeds – now termed 'superweeds'

"From 2001 to 2010, toxic herbicide application grew by 81 million pounds – 26 percent. But the application of glyphosate to the three biggest genetically engineered crops skyrocketed from 15 million pounds in 1996 to 150 million pounds in 2012 – this is a ten-fold rise"

What a mess...

and no, sweetheart, religion has not killed that many people - atheist communist regimes sure have though...
You do realize that bombs wouldn't kill people if religious nuts didn't set them off, right? To say religion has not killed "that many people" is just false. Significantly more people have been killed in the name of some god/gods than have ever died in a pogrom.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
Again school books.

Diseases which affect the brain can affect the soul too.

The body will be out of control if the brain was affected (soul can't control the body if the brain is disabled)

One example is using the marijuana and it's effect on brain and the spiritual feeling.

The body will be out of control and then the brain will work by itself,so one may jump from a high building by the brain being out of control.

Just think of it – scandalously clad co-eds, jumping out of windows. Poor innocent young girls, acting under the influence of MARIHUANA (the Weed of Madness), lives ruined . . . etc. BOY, that makes for good press. But there was only one problem; -- where exactly were these innocent young girls?
Reference: HARRY ANSLINGER'S GORE FILE ILLINOIS - GIRLS JUMPING OUT OF WINDOWS

The brain is very important part of our body. :yes:
:biglaugh: You must be joking...
1)Weed doesn't make people suicidal, and you are still very much in control of your thoughts while high
2)"School books" contain more fact than a book written thousands of years ago by people that didn't know anything.

You do realize that bombs wouldn't kill people if religious nuts didn't set them off, right? To say religion has not killed "that many people" is just false. Significantly more people have been killed in the name of some god/gods than have ever died in a pogrom.

As a former Muslim, you should know that Islam is (theoretically at least) a religion of peace. I know of no religions that condone murder. Terrorist groups may use religion to excite their followers, but their leaders aren't motivated by it.

In regards to science, can you say, "chemical weapons?"

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
As a former Muslim, you should know that Islam is (theoretically at least) a religion of peace. I know of no religions that condone murder. Terrorist groups may use religion to excite their followers, but their leaders aren't motivated by it.

In regards to science, can you say, "chemical weapons?"
I never said anything to the contrary. I didn't even mention Muslims specifically. Muslims aren't the only people that use bombs. Religious fanaticism is the problem, regardless of the religion. All of them mainly preach peace and understanding, but that doesn't stop fringe groups from killing people.

Aquitaine

I'd take a world without religion any day.

Humanity has already experienced a world without science for the majority of it's existence, let's swap it around a little.

ZooGirl02

I would rather live in a world without science. Now, don't get me wrong, I do love science and I would prefer a world with both such as the one we have now.