• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Xi Humiliates U.S. and Kerry While Kerry Grovels over "Climate Change"

jbg

China’s Xi Rebuffs Kerry’s Call for Faster Climate Action (link). China has no interest in provoking their populace to revolt by lowering their living standards, despite "record heat." See As China Bakes in Record Heat, Kerry Presses Beijing on Climate Change (link, excerpt below):
New York Times said:
Mr. Kerry has said that he hopes China will curb its rapid expansion of coal plants, and reduce its use of methane, a greenhouse gas. China has resisted taking those steps, arguing it is a developing country that must continue to use fossil fuels to support its economic development. Mr. Kerry’s visit to Beijing this week marked the resumption of climate talks between the United States and China, the world’s largest polluters, which had been stalled since August.
I am ashamed that our country's leaders grovel to China to seek that they do things they obviously won't. China promises to reach its peak emissions by 2030. If they decide not to stop growing what are we going to do, send in the troops?

Meanwhile, the U.S. and much of the rest of the West, or at least their leaders and elites, are jumping up and down like eager chimps to lower their population's standards of living.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
China’s Xi Rebuffs Kerry’s Call for Faster Climate Action (link). China has no interest in provoking their populace to revolt by lowering their living standards, despite "record heat." See As China Bakes in Record Heat, Kerry Presses Beijing on Climate Change (link, excerpt below):

I am ashamed that our country's leaders grovel to China to seek that they do things they obviously won't. China promises to reach its peak emissions by 2030. If they decide not to stop growing what are we going to do, send in the troops?

Meanwhile, the U.S. and much of the rest of the West, or at least their leaders and elites, are jumping up and down like eager chimps to lower their population's standards of living.
Okay, I am confused. Where is the groveling? Why do you use scare quotes for "record heat"? Having a talk that is in everyone's best interests does not appear to be graveling to me.

At any rate perhaps we should be trying to influence other nations not to sell coal too China. Or at the very least to limit it.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
The US is trying to talk China, the world's largest carbon emitter, into taking necessary action to avert the worst outcomes of the climate crisis. I don't see any groveling in that. Chinese leaders need to acknowledge that many people may not even have a habitable place to be if China and other major industrial countries don't take the necessary steps to reduce their environmental footprint. "Economic growth" won't raise any living standards or benefit the average person at that point.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

You get what you deserve. Sadly it's what this country collectively wants for its leadership.

The rest of us who has no influence nor say in the matter will just have to adapt to the situation.

Twilight Hue

The US is trying to talk China, the world's largest carbon emitter, into taking necessary action to avert the worst outcomes of the climate crisis. I don't see any groveling in that. Chinese leaders need to acknowledge that many people may not even have a habitable place to be if China and other major industrial countries don't take the necessary steps to reduce their environmental footprint. "Economic growth" won't raise any living standards or benefit the average person at that point.
Some people need to see the actual fire first before they act.

Obviously it simply hasn't arrived to that point yet.

If it ever does.

jbg

The Chinese or at least their government is not going to buy this fantasy.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
Some people need to see the actual fire first before they act.

Obviously it simply hasn't arrived to that point yet.

If it ever does.
I actually agree with you here
But the folks who will suffer the consequences will be the future generations

Like damn even in primary (elementary) school I remember learning that.
So how can we look ourselves in the mirror, knowing that this is what we’ve left our grandkids. And in my case at least, known as much since childhood? That’s beyond philosophy or politics. That’s just innate evil. Damn!

Come on, It’d be easier on my soul if I sunk the titanic or something lol

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

You might want to look at energy consumption as to various countries - the right-hand column of the table:

And where China is hardly top, with 65 countries out of the 209 displayed having greater per capita consumption than China. And this besides the fact that so many countries have had a head start over others as to contributing to Climate Change. The consumption might be noticed as to being higher in colder or hotter countries - and for obvious reasons - but consumption as to lifestyle should also be obvious - as to the wealth status of such countries, like the USA, for example.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I live in USA.
(Revoltistan is a landlocked country within.)
I don't feel humiliated.
Does any other Ameristanian?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
The burden of proof is on those that want to force changes, not on the preservers of the status quo.
No, they have already met that. If you do not understand that is only your fault. You made a claim. That puts a burden of proof upon you. If you fail in supporting your claim and I know that you will, then we can discuss the science that you do not understand.

Twilight Hue

That proof has been supplied consistently with clear evidence and identified mechanisms.
Theoretical data and predictive modeling is an extremely poor way to go about convincing people.

People need to see the actual fire.

It's why there is so much difficulty getting people on board.