• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yet more reason to despise people of violence

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
So it's a pretty straightforward question; if we're talking about immediate threat of violence to your child, would violence in protection of that child conceivably be a moral option to you if it was the best way, in that particular instance, to protect the life of your child?

Yes it would. However, IMHO it is never going to be the best way.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
How are you differentiating between pacifism and non-violence?

Google pacifism v non violence and you should find plenty of answers - if you don't find an answer let me know and I will spend the time giving you one :)

Last edited:

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Google pacifism v non violence and you should find plenty of answers - if you don't find an answer let me know and I will spend the time giving you one :)

OK, right off the bat I got this from wiki:

Pacifism is opposition to war and violence.

Likewise wiki says of nonviolence:

Nonviolence is the personal practice of being harmless to self and others under every condition.

But there is also this:

Some pacifists follow principles of nonviolence, believing that nonviolent action is morally superior and/or nonpragmatically most effective. Some pacifists, however, support physical violence for emergency defence of self or others.

Is that what you are talking about?

Last edited:

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
OK, right off the bat I got this from wiki:

Pacifism is opposition to war and violence.

Likewise wiki says of nonviolence:

Nonviolence is the personal practice of being harmless to self and others under every condition.

But there is also this:

Some pacifists follow principles of nonviolence, believing that nonviolent action is morally superior and/or nonpragmatically most effective. Some pacifists, however, support physical violence for emergency defence of self or others.

Is that what you are talking about?

Hi Nazz,

I have a particular liking for Kurlansky's 'Non-Violence, the history of a dangerous idea' his explanation is one that I like,
On p.6 he states "Nonviolence is not the same thing as pacifism, for which there are many words. Pacifism is treated almost as a psychological condition. It is a state of mind. Pacifism is passive but non-violence is active. Pacifism is harmless and therefore easier to accept than nonviolence which is dangerous. When Jesus Christ said that a victim should turn the other cheek he was preaching pacifism. But when he said that an enemy should be won over with the power of love, he was preaching nonviolence. Nonviolence, exactly like violence, is a means of persuasion, a technique for political activism, a recipe for prevailing."

nazz

Doubting Thomas
Hi Nazz,

I have a particular liking for Kurlansky's 'Non-Violence, the history of a dangerous idea' his explanation is one that I like,
On p.6 he states "Nonviolence is not the same thing as pacifism, for which there are many words. Pacifism is treated almost as a psychological condition. It is a state of mind. Pacifism is passive but non-violence is active. Pacifism is harmless and therefore easier to accept than nonviolence which is dangerous. When Jesus Christ said that a victim should turn the other cheek he was preaching pacifism. But when he said that an enemy should be won over with the power of love, he was preaching nonviolence. Nonviolence, exactly like violence, is a means of persuasion, a technique for political activism, a recipe for prevailing."

I just don't agree with that. Pacifism does not mean non-resistance, IMO. There is another word for that but it escapes me at the moment. And turning the other cheek is not a passive response.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
Despising someone is violence.

It is clear that there is no agreement generally as to what constitutes violence. As I think I said previously, to despise is to feel contempt or repugnance for. I feel both contempt and repugnance towards people who would murder and I make no apology for it.
If you regard my view as violent I am good with that.

Me Myself

Back to my username
It is clear that there is no agreement generally as to what constitutes violence. As I think I said previously, to despise is to feel contempt or repugnance for. I feel both contempt and repugnance towards people who would murder and I make no apology for it.
If you regard my view as violent I am good with that.

Okay.

The way I see it, we are all violent.

Violent emotions lead to violent actions though, so I try keep those in check. (Not at all always succesfuly)