• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yogic Flying and Transcendental Meditation

Tathagata

Freethinker
Does anyone know about Yogic Flying? I was just wondering because I am trying to research a phenomenon that I experienced as a child. Basically, I jumped off of a flight of stairs inside my house and floated down slowly as if hovering or going in slow-motion.

I used to jump off the stairs all the time, and just that one time, I floated down as if weightless. I realized what just happened and immediately tried to do it again but couldn't. But the difference was blatantly recognizable. I had just descended slowly as if floating, the second time I fell straight down at the speed of gravity.

I kind of kept that memory in the back of my head for years, but now I want to see if I can replicate that experience. Any advice?

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Does anyone know about Yogic Flying? I was just wondering because I am trying to research a phenomenon that I experienced as a child. Basically, I jumped off of a flight of stairs inside my house and floated down slowly as if hovering or going in slow-motion.

I used to jump off the stairs all the time, and just that one time, I floated down as if weightless. I realized what just happened and immediately tried to do it again but couldn't. But the difference was blatantly recognizable. I had just descended slowly as if floating, the second time I fell straight down at the speed of gravity.

I kind of kept that memory in the back of my head for years, but now I want to see if I can replicate that experience. Any advice?

As far as I know, such siddhis can't be forced; like you said, it happened spontaneously and without you even meaning to. Other than having a teacher who is well versed in siddhis, or someone who is a master of Qi Gong or some other art of energetic perception and manipulation, I would imagine that such capacities would only come about through a widening of perception which would most likely come about through meditation practice.

There is a verse in one of the Tripitaka sutras where the Buddha says that anyone who wants to acquire various siddhis (he mentions walking on water, making one's body big or small, flying, etc. ) should uphold the code of discipline, go out and be alone and practice meditation, and after the necessary time and proper meditation, such things manifest.

Anyway, "superhuman" capacities come from expanded awareness, I think. A baby can't walk until it becomes well aware of the various factors that are necessary to walk. Same with talking, it becomes aware of it's vocal chords, then aware of how to do certain things with them and then aware of what to do with them to talk.

Best wishes.

Tathagata

Freethinker
As far as I know, such siddhis can't be forced; like you said, it happened spontaneously and without you even meaning to. Other than having a teacher who is well versed in siddhis, or someone who is a master of Qi Gong or some other art of energetic perception and manipulation, I would imagine that such capacities would only come about through a widening of perception which would most likely come about through meditation practice.

There is a verse in one of the Tripitaka sutras where the Buddha says that anyone who wants to acquire various siddhis (he mentions walking on water, making one's body big or small, flying, etc. ) should uphold the code of discipline, go out and be alone and practice meditation, and after the necessary time and proper meditation, such things manifest.

Anyway, "superhuman" capacities come from expanded awareness, I think. A baby can't walk until it becomes well aware of the various factors that are necessary to walk. Same with talking, it becomes aware of it's vocal chords, then aware of how to do certain things with them and then aware of what to do with them to talk.

Best wishes.

Thanks. :) Excellent information.

apophenia

'Yogic flying' is a simple gymnastic trick, as practiced in TM . It is just using your legs to jump when in lotus posture, there is no defying of gravity or any kind of siddhi.

When I was a child I would lie on the floor in a darkened hallway and 'levitate' to about 10cm off the floor. Or at least I thought I did. I also thought i could float into the air outdoors, and tried many times, wondering why it had worked the first time.

As an adult I have flying dreams. It is still not uncommon for these dreams to be 'semi-lucid' - I think I have woken up and actually recovered my ability to fly. I've been fooled regularly !

I've also practiced visualisation, and found that particularly with the help of a particular 'supplement' I could visualise in high-def photo-real 3D, and literally see whatever I imagined. This included being in the body of a bird flying along a creek, for example. Utter realism.

I think we learn the boundaries of concensus real, and vivid imagination, when very young. There were a few years when my grandson seemed to not diifferentiate between real and imaginary. He needed to learn the difference.

Our ability to visualise is pretty much unlimited, I know this from experience. Sometimes it works the other way - have you ever woken from a sleep and had no idea who or what or where you are ? This happens to me from time to time - it actually takes a few seconds to grasp that I am some kind of lifeform, and that there is time and space.

apophenia

Friend T..,

That is what Mahesh Yogi is famous for,

Love & rgds

You are aware that yogic flying is not levitation, right ? I haven't heard any practitioners even claiming they can levitate (though they may still believe it's possible - without any evidence). The practice which is taught in Maharishi's TM schools is purely hopping in lotus position, nothing more.

At my yoga school we have a few times done (just for fun) 'the crocodile hop', which is assuming the chataranga dandasana posture and then hopping forward using feet and hands simultaneously.

I suppose we could call it dragon flying, but it would still just be hopping.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend apophenia,

Frankly have never been interested in such superficial magics.
Mahesh Yogi visited Banaras Hindu University when was a student there in 1974. He put up all his posters and gave lectures on his TM and its scientific validity etc, but none envisaged much enthusiasm/interest. Later years he moved out of India to set up his centers with HQ at Switzerland [probably]. He became popular mainly as the Beatles where his listeners for sometime. Appreciate him as he was never surrounded by controversies generally with godmen. He operated within his limitations.

Love & rgds

n.b. Only have seen a movie of St. Francis levitating which otherwise is known to be true

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Friend apophenia,

Frankly have never been interested in such superficial magics.
Mahesh Yogi visited Banaras Hindu University when was a student there in 1974. He put up all his posters and gave lectures on his TM and its scientific validity etc, but none envisaged much enthusiasm/interest. Later years he moved out of India to set up his centers with HQ at Switzerland [probably]. He became popular mainly as the Beatles where his listeners for sometime. Appreciate him as he was never surrounded by controversies generally with godmen. He operated within his limitations.

Love & rgds

n.b. Only have seen a movie of St. Francis levitating which otherwise is known to be true
I very much agree with this, Zenzero, having become a practitioner of "TM" in 1974, i am grateful for what I was taught, however I was never much enamored with any other facet of Maharishi's teachings. That said, he was a delightful man to listen to as he was usually giggling about something or other.
[youtube]mb-LceeGeCA[/youtube]
Rare footage of Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in Los Angeles - YouTube

Last edited:

MatterOrganic

My advice is to learn the TM Technique (888-LEARNTM) and then learn the TM-Sidhi Techniques which include Yogic Flying. You are very, very fortunate to have had that experience because you are one of the few people on earth that know from their own experience what is possible.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friend MatterOrganic,

Welcome to RF!
Best Wishes!

Friend learning to fly/levitate is not yoga to personal understanding. Yoga means to unite. The unity between the individual energy and the universal energy id YOGA.
If students learn to UNITE in THAT way then surely there is gr8 value in learning [888-LEARNTM] technique.

Love & rgds

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
Also, as always, the Wanderling has a page about flying (also the quote from the Tripitaka that I was talking about is at the top of this page):

The Wanderling's Journey

The Buddha said "If a monk should frame a wish as follows: 'Let me travel through the air like a winged bird,' then must he be perfect in the precepts (Sila), bring his thoughts to a state of quiescence (Samadhi), practice diligently the trances (Jhana), attain to insight (Prajna) and be frequenter to lonely places."

Also, he has a page on siddhis if you or anybody is interested:

SIDDHIS: Supernormal Perceptual States

Tathagata

Freethinker
'Yogic flying' is a simple gymnastic trick, as practiced in TM . It is just using your legs to jump when in lotus posture, there is no defying of gravity or any kind of siddhi.

When I was a child I would lie on the floor in a darkened hallway and 'levitate' to about 10cm off the floor. Or at least I thought I did. I also thought i could float into the air outdoors, and tried many times, wondering why it had worked the first time.

As an adult I have flying dreams. It is still not uncommon for these dreams to be 'semi-lucid' - I think I have woken up and actually recovered my ability to fly. I've been fooled regularly !

I've also practiced visualisation, and found that particularly with the help of a particular 'supplement' I could visualise in high-def photo-real 3D, and literally see whatever I imagined. This included being in the body of a bird flying along a creek, for example. Utter realism.

I think we learn the boundaries of concensus real, and vivid imagination, when very young. There were a few years when my grandson seemed to not diifferentiate between real and imaginary. He needed to learn the difference.

Our ability to visualise is pretty much unlimited, I know this from experience. Sometimes it works the other way - have you ever woken from a sleep and had no idea who or what or where you are ? This happens to me from time to time - it actually takes a few seconds to grasp that I am some kind of lifeform, and that there is time and space.

I was not one of those kids who couldn't differentiate imagination from reality. I didn't have much of a wild imagination as a kid, in fact I was quite the critical thinker. I was brought up in religious surroundings and was already questioning religious doctrine that would stump the religious administration at my school.

I assure you it was not an imagination or dream. It was a real life experience. I also have a proven sharp memory of my earliest years that shocks my parents.

Tathagata

Freethinker
To those who don't see the relevence to Buddhist practice:

"With his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability, he directs and inclines it to the modes of supranormal powers. He wields manifold supranormal powers. Having been one he becomes many; having been many he becomes one. He appears. He vanishes. He goes unimpeded through walls, ramparts, and mountains as if through space. He dives in and out of the earth as if it were water. He walks on water without sinking as if it were dry land. Sitting cross-legged he flies through the air like a winged bird. With his hand he touches and strokes even the sun and moon, so mighty and powerful. He exercises influence with his body even as far as the Brahma worlds. Just as a skilled potter or his assistant could craft from well-prepared clay whatever kind of pottery vessel he likes, or as a skilled ivory-carver or his assistant could craft from well-prepared ivory any kind of ivory-work he likes, or as a skilled goldsmith or his assistant could craft from well-prepared gold any kind of gold article he likes; in the same way — with his mind thus concentrated, purified, and bright, unblemished, free from defects, pliant, malleable, steady, and attained to imperturbability — the monk directs and inclines it to the modes of supranormal powers."

-- The Buddha [Samaññaphala Sutta: The Fruits of the Contemplative Life]

Last edited:

no-body

The gist I've always gotten from reading on the subject of such paranormal powers in eastern traditions is you must not want them in the first place (much less abuse them) Being a skeptic I've always taken this as a tongue in cheek mystical meaning.

apophenia

I was not one of those kids who couldn't differentiate imagination from reality. I didn't have much of a wild imagination as a kid, in fact I was quite the critical thinker. I was brought up in religious surroundings and was already questioning religious doctrine that would stump the religious administration at my school.

I assure you it was not an imagination or dream. It was a real life experience. I also have a proven sharp memory of my earliest years that shocks my parents.

I have had numerous 'out-of-body' experiences, paranormal events of various kinds, some quite extreme . Also, after some visualisation practice, spontaneous visualisation/astral travel experiences. My dharma practice began when I was around 15, when I began meditation, chanting and experiments with hypnosis and various forms of trance.

I have already mentioned the flying dreams and the way the mind can lose track of inner and outer reality. I once woke from a trance state and found myself lying on the ground in Africa, during a tribal celebration. I passed out and awoke in my previous location.

There have been some occasions involving astral travel which included very strong evidence of much more than just imagination (i.e. detailed drawings and descriptions of events).

I mention all this to inform you that I am not unaware of or biased against the notion of sidhhis and what is called 'paranormal'.

Without an external witness, there is no way of telling what occurs in the province of the individual mind, and what occurs in the shared concensus reality, the physical world.

Your evidence that you physically floated exists only in your mind. That is significant to note and remain aware of.

I have also been involved in life-threatening accidents, on a motorbike and in a truck, and on both occasions subjective experience of time was hugely altered. A period of one second can be experienced as a complex sequence of events of apparently longer duration. Our perceptions of time and space can alter dramatically under the right conditions (especially if our life depends on it).

Your assertion that you know you physically floated because it seems that way from memory needs to be questioned. Why are you prepared to believe that explanation rather than the much more likely explanation that it was a mental event ? Is it because you now have a vested interest in believing that explanation - it reinforces a preferred belief about your perceived world being 'mind only' for example ?

The fact is, you have no evidence that your body floated. You have a memory which says it floated. My experiences have taught me that such experiences seem totally real. The only difference between an exceptionally vivid dream and objective reality is that objective reality can be verified. The assertion that "I was not one of those kids who couldn't differentiate imagination from reality" does not constitute a water-tight guarantee that this was not a case of exactly that.

Just to make that last point clearer - if you subscribe at all to the notion that individuality and the external world is some kind of illusion or perceptual error (and generally buddhists do ...) then you are also acknowledging that in most every moment of your life you can't differentiate imagination from reality. So there is that to consider.

In my opinion, some cultures tend to not differentiate between vivid 'astral' experiences (for want of a better word), and physical reality. The Tibetans for example. Autobiographies and biographies from Tibet often include descriptions of miaculous events which are treated as real. In the jungles of south America there are (or were) tribes whose whole lives involve magic and witchcraft played out as personal power struggles, all of which is considered objectively real by the participants. But it all occurs in the context of drug-assisted trance.

Regarding the quotes from Buddha and others - you have no way of knowing whether the levitation or walking on water referred to is meant to be subjective or objective. What we do know is that dharana, dhyana and creative imagination can produce 'as if real' experiences. I can attest to that.

If you read "The Life of Marpa" (Shamballa), you will find a reference to Marpa's students observing him transforming physically in front of them. (I have also observed this with a lama). Marpa explains to the students that the visions are a result of the combination of their samaya bond and the teachers purity. Consider that carefully.

So in summary, you really cannot say with certainty that your experience was objectively real, and not a function of creative intelligence. There is simply no way you can verify that. Did anyone see you floating ?

You can, if you choose, develop visualisation to the point of utterly realistic experiences. This is of some value in educating the mind about its capacities. But to insist that such an experience is objectively real is an assertion of ego, and will find no external confirmation.

Do you want to have this experience because it will prove something you have chosen to believe ? My experience tells me that I can experience anything as-if-real. But what does that actually prove ?

I highlighted your assertion "I assure you it was not an imagination or dream", because that is significant. You have already decided the event was objectively real without first proving to yourself that such experiences can be generated routinely by the mind.

Having said all that, I would recommend that you master visualisation to the point of as-if-real. It is very educational.

zenzero

Its only a Label
Friends,

This reminds me of Chaugtsu
I do not know whether it was then I dreamt I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly dreaming I am a man.

That aside find though siddhas attain siddhis is true but does it benefit this being, here??
Am sure siddhis come by default to siddhas and not considering being anywhere near to such acts. Here it is a struggle even to keep the lamp [consciousness] burning [alive]. Everyday again and again need to pour oil and light the lamp and am satisfied in doing in as much as can be done.

Thank you all siddhas and if it has benefited you am sure it benefits existence which in turn benefits every being including the being here.
Personally find the chit to be in ananda even in all powerlessness.

Love & rgds

apophenia

An interesting question here is why did Gautama not display any such siddhis ? The quote above indicates that he considered such displays of supernormal power to be 'the fruits of the contemplative life'. So why did he not ever demonstrate them in his life ?

Remember that the quote from Samaññaphala Sutta was written hundreds of years after Gautama's death. They are not Gautama's written words, and his life did not demonstrate any such supernormal powers.

One of the subjects of discussion of the Tibetan lama Traleg Rinpoche during his retreats is the mythologising of teachers by students. He covers the subject at length, because the tendency is so strong in students, and the claims so extraordinary and persistent, despite absence of real evidence.

Displays of such siddhis (as objective realities) were never made by Gautama. Claims of such displays by various saints and sages are made, but never verified. On the other hand, plenty of 'mystics' have levitated in India with the help of cunningly devised seats under their robes etc.

The quote from Samaññaphala Sutta certainly applies to the kind of phenomena I have discussed earlier. This does not denigrate the Sutta or the experiences - it qualifies them. Statements about such 'powers' are also made in the Rig Veda, one of the original vedic texts - and such powers are perceptual alterations enabled by the drinking of 'soma', a psychedelic which is extolled in the Rig Veda. Similarly, the Tibetans have traditionally used psychedelics in various ways, as have many cultures. The experiences associated with these substances ( and I would include the Essenes sacramental use of amanita muscaria -' the blood and body of christ') is written about as if objectively real. This is because the experience is real from the point of view of its spiritual (psychological) significance.