• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Cannot Know God.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
I agree, we cannot know God, or the Source, we can live it, we can experience it, we are it, but we cannot know it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This is a hodge -podge of logical contradiction. The Bible states who `god` is, and in many chapters,. The Bible, also states that Jesus is G-d, and also the creator, and other things, that you are clearly ignoring. /Because your own beliefs clearly are not Biblical.

Let me do an except of one of my examples.

I have a mother. I know I have a mother. She has saved my life. She has taken care of me my whole life and I owe her. I do not need a book about her to know her personally. I don't need to have photographs to know her personally.

Why? Because I know her personally by how she interacts with me. Of course, I can go to details; but this is a real life example. She saved my life. If someone wrote to me the "truth" that "this is not your mother" I would not believe him because my mother is not defined by a book but by her relations to me (adopted or not), her love, and her care.

I can see this directly in her.
I know I am related to her by how I am and behave.
I know I am because of how I was taught by my mother not by what someone I dont even know, not related to me, not even from my area!

I trust the senses and relationship I have with her directly: not through a book. Not through pictures. Not through the last meal she ate. Not through anything else but her.

:leafwind:

If you don't know that god is with you without physical proof, that contradicts the very nature of faith.

I honestly don't understand it.

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
No person can "Know God" beyond what He has specifically disclosed ABOUT Himself in Scripture.

There is your factual fallacy sir.

No god concept ever wrote a word about himself. He is a concept that never disclosed anything.

Only man wrote these words in these text you find valuable. Problem your having is over attributing what they mean and say in CONTEXT

Is it not hypocritical to claim you alone have all the answers, and everyone else is wrong :rolleyes:

Janardena

Simply remembering and agreeing with a piece of Scripture, even if it is God's Personal Word, does not mean that particular Word is then implimented in their little life.

No. But it means that one who is sincere in learning about God, who he/she is in relation to God, can begin to unravel what is otherwise a mystery. Knowing God. It's not an easy road, from my perspective, but if truth is the order of the day, then you have to start with origins.

"Claiming Scripture" is a modern idea started by Little Church Grannies with Kleenex in their hands, and by Professional Church Talkers. Doing so helps Pewsitters use their imaginations and talk as substitutes for material faith.

I agree that claiming scriptures as answers to questions, without first understanding what they mean, and how they can be perfectly implemented into you experience, can be very dangerous.
That's probably why the scriptures used to be off limits to the uninitiated.

No person can "Know God" beyond what He has specifically disclosed ABOUT Himself in Scripture. If you disagree, then tell us right now what you know about God beyond what is in The Bible.

We can know God, just as we can know Shakespeare, or Newton.
The Bible itself doesn't try to prove God's existence. As far as it is concerned, God exists. So it is to be read with an open mind, or acceptance of God's existence. It was written for people who already accept (not merely affirm) God's existence.

jan.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I was told it's like hiting a dead horse. Though, I always think there is a benefit of the doubt. I mean, faith-as in trust without evidence--of any given religion doesn't mean its not logical. A person who hears voices actually does hear voices and the cause and symptoms are logical (they make sense) even if it is not true.

In other words, just becuase it isn't true doesn't mean it isnt logical. Faith can be logical just as heairng voices. However, I do find it illogical (doesnt make sense) that one can claim a spiritual feeling from the heart has nothing to do with the brain and body.

I dont know.
Is knowing or not knowing all that important? It's not like we will retain any such information long term. Either by death or dementia, the intellectualizing has to and will permanently end at some point.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Is knowing or not knowing all that important? It's not like we will retain any such information long term. Either by death or dementia, the intellectualizing has to and will permanently end at some point.

Is it worth the mental jumping jacks, though? We talk about a lot of unimportant things but hopefully none of us takes it personally.

serp777

Now all you need do is show that Lyndon cannot differentiate between the two.
That is your claim, right?
They both would interact via the brain to convey information to you. God would have to interact with your brain to convey this information to your consciousness. If the information is identical then unless you have a magic power that defies reality then there there's no way you can conclusively say that you can differentiate the two. If the information and content is the same then what other thing could tell you that its God or your brain? You're welcome to propose an alternative way that he can tell the source of identical information that comes from the same location in your brain. Literally you would need magic powers to know the difference.

And btw i'm not suggesting 100% certainty my this claim, just that its very likely to be true like any other theory in science for instance. I don't have to conclusively show a 100% probability that he couldn't know, I just have to cast some doubt to whether he could differentiate. Even with 1% doubt it means that he can't conclusively demonstrate that he can determine if its God or his brain.

In addition,someone could say that via his/her feelings that he/she knows that this guy can't differentiate between the two; God told him/her so. Or someone knows that Zeus talks to them, which would be mutually exclusive with yahweh or whatever. Even if my earlier argument wasn't sufficient, then you have two claims which you can't disprove that contradict each other, demonstrating that neither person could conclusively know whether it was God or just your brain since they're mutually exclusively but equally likely to be true with the information we have. Here you would need another magical power to say which person was getting information from God or not. At best you can say that you don't know whether it came from God or from your brain, which further supports my original point that he can't conclusively determine if God was speaking to him or if it was just his brain.

Stokley

Ah, I'm pretty sure I'm not listening to Satan, Satan would not be guiding my life in a positive direction, God can do that though.

Tell us what positive direction (s) God has led your life. Remember, King David said, "I will tell of all your [God's] deeds."

Stokley

Actually, isn't John talking about having an experiential knowledge of God rather than simply knowledge about God.

Matthew 7:21-23 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

You are asking people for the wrong type of knowledge.
I see the day of Judgement as an easy thing to comprehend. If it is a reunion between friends (you and Jesus) then it will be a happy celebration. If it is the first time that you two have ever met, then you are in a lot of trouble.
Actually (lol.), John 17:3 is Jesus talking, not John. Can you grasp that? I can further help, if you need.

Stokley

For what its worth, I have found my original manuscript, interview with God, and it is quite long, probably about a 100 page book, I tried to publish it once, but now I've decide to post in on blogspot.com in its entirety, and then I can link to it in my signature. So give me a few weeks, I'll try to get it done when I have free time, tons of tons of typing,and I'm not a good typist, to put it mildly, but if anyone benefits from it, I guess it will be worthwhile. Surprisingly the God I am communicating with makes no claim to be the creator, just the embodiment of truth and wisdom.
Lol. You just confirmed my understanding of what you previously posted. Thank you.

atpollard

Actually (lol.), John 17:3 is Jesus talking, not John. Can you grasp that? I can further help, if you need.
I am afraid that it is you who are missing the point.
Jesus didn't write the Gospel of John, John did. So everything that John wrote was part of John's attempt to communicate some message that John felt we (the readers) should know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stokley

I am afraid that it is you who are missing the point.
Jesus didn't write the Gospel of John, John did. So everything that John wrote was part of John's attempt to communicate some message that John felt we (the readers) should know.
Yes. You should run away. Lol. Is The Book of John the Word of God, or not? Are you able to speak with confidence, not using supposition or womanly intuition?

Last edited by a moderator:

Stokley

I have a mother. I know I have a mother. She has saved my life. She has taken care of me my whole life and I owe her. I do not need a book about her to know her personally. I don't need to have photographs to know her personally.

Why? Because I know her personally by how she interacts with me. Of course, I can go to details; but this is a real life example. She saved my life. If someone wrote to me the "truth" that "this is not your mother" I would not believe him because my mother is not defined by a book but by her relations to me (adopted or not), her love, and her care.

I know I am because of how I was taught by my mother not by what someone I dont even know, not related to me, not even from my area!

I trust the senses and relationship I have with her directly: not through a book. Not through pictures. Not through the last meal she ate. Not through anything else but her.

If you don't know that god is with you without physical proof, that contradicts the very nature of faith.

Lol. So you presume to compare knowing your "mother" to knowing God? This is fun.

Tell me, Proud Gypsey, is the process of knowing your "mother" anything at all like knowing The Creator of The Universe? Let me know if you need help grasping this question, such that you would answer with facts rather than merely with some female intuition.

Lol. Any time.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Ah, but see, Jesus is not supposed to be ''proof'' of a deity that you would not believe in otherwise. So, your explanation as to why, /I assume that is your point/, one would believe in Jesus, is not accurate in the first place. Your explanation is sort of interesting, because it demonstrates the way an /unbeliever/?/ might think of the situation, in the first place. It seems to assume an unliklyhood of any type of Deity that could be ''real'', in the sense that Jesus is real. That is fine, but it doesn't address the actual theistic belief of //real/ Xians.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member

Faith, and belief, does not mean that we do not have any physical evidence of God. God created everything, so, there is an implication, all over the place, that God is real. Perhaps you do not believe in a Creator God?