• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You Cannot Know God.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Lol. So you presume to compare knowing your "mother" to knowing God? This is fun.

Tell me, Proud Gypsey, is the process of knowing your "mother" anything at all like knowing The Creator of The Universe? Let me know if you need help grasping this question, such that you would answer with facts rather than merely with some female intuition.

Lol. Any time.

lol.

Replace "mother" with Creator and "daughter" with Son.

Why would I need a book to know I have a relationship with god?
What can the book provide me more than god himself?

Is the book god?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Ah, but see, Jesus is not supposed to be ''proof'' of a deity that you would not believe in otherwise. So, your explanation as to why, /I assume that is your point/, one would believe in Jesus, is not accurate in the first place. Your explanation is sort of interesting, because it demonstrates the way an /unbeliever/?/ might think of the situation, in the first place. It seems to assume an unliklyhood of any type of Deity that could be ''real'', in the sense that Jesus is real. That is fine, but it doesn't address the actual theistic belief of //real/ Xians.

I got confused with that.

I'm just saying that you don't need the Bible to have a personal relationship with god. If you do need your bible, wouldn't that be idolism?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Faith, and belief, does not mean that we do not have any physical evidence of God. God created everything, so, there is an implication, all over the place, that God is real. Perhaps you do not believe in a Creator God?

I was just saying you can have a relationship with god without the bible.

Stokley

lol.

Replace "mother" with Creator and "daughter" with Son.

Why would I need a book to know I have a relationship with god?
What can the book provide me more than god himself?

Is the book god?
What does God say to you and show you?

Stokley

This is essentially Baha'i theology. We can experience God through his manifestations but we can never know the essence of God because he is incomprehensible
What usefulness is it to anyone for you to put the Bahia label upon this ideology?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
What does God say to you and show you?

I don't mean to be rude, but you're dodging a objective question and making it personal.

If there is no scripture, would god exist?

If so, why can't you know him without the Bible?

What prevents you from experiencing god first before you read about him?

tjgillies

I don't mean to be rude, but you're dodging a objective question and making it personal.

This is exactly how I think. Glad I'm not the only one.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I got confused with that.

I'm just saying that you don't need the Bible to have a personal relationship with god. If you do need your bible, wouldn't that be idolism?

If you worshipped a Bible, that would be idolism. øNeedingø a Bible, is another issue. It may not be that one would need a Bible, however, there is not necessarily øøevidence of that, contextually. I do not ømemorize Scripture, that is merely a personal preference of mine, or whatever, but that does not mean, to me, that I think that the Bible is unnecessary. I think that you are mixing concepts, you are saying that because one does nsøt need the Bible, then your theory on how that would work, is legit, it seems. I would say that, not only is that arbitrary, but it may not even be correct. The first post that i answered to, of yours, seemd to change the Scripture, not merely say that Scripture is unnecessary. Those are different ideas. Simply because the Bible may not be necessary to know Deity -in theory-, does not mean that Scripture is wrong, incorrect, or fiction, etc.

Last edited:

Deidre

A key source for Christian arrogance, that is arrogance in Christians who use the Imperial Pronouns "We/Us/Our" to make their ideas sound as if they represent an authoritative consensus, is for them at some convenient point to claim they "Know God." They like to quote John 17:3,

"And this is eternal life, that they may know thee the only true God."

They imagine that their ability to remember and to emotionally agree with John 17:3 automatically means they do "know God." But, here is their problem. Simply remembering and agreeing with a piece of Scripture, even if it is God's Personal Word, does not mean that particular Word is then implimented in their little life. Scripture cannot be "claimed." No such "claiming" of Scripture is ever taught in Scripture. "Claiming Scripture" is a modern idea started by Little Church Grannies with Kleenex in their hands, and by Professional Church Talkers. Doing so helps Pewsitters use their imaginations and talk as substitutes for material faith.

No person can "Know God" beyond what He has specifically disclosed ABOUT Himself in Scripture. If you disagree, then tell us right now what you know about God beyond what is in The Bible.

So are you saying that if you couldn't hear or read, you wouldn't be able to know what God 'is?' Many people discover God through prayer. I was an atheist and came back to Christianity through a faith experience...through the holy spirit. Granted I was well aware of what the Bible teaches, but...the Bible did not lead me back to faith.

Be careful to judge others so harshly...for only God knows the heart. :sunflower:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If you worshipped a Bible, that would be idolism. øNeedingø a Bible, is another issue. It may not be that one would need a Bible, however, there is not necessarily øøevidence of that, contextually. I do not ømemorize Scripture, that is merely a personal preference of mine, or whatever, but that does not mean, to me, that I think that the Bible is unnecessary. I think that you are mixing concepts, you are saying that because one deosnsøt need the Bible, then your theory on how that would work, is legit, it seems. I would say that, not only is that arbitrary, but it may not even be correct. The first post that i answered to, of yours, seemd to change the Scripture, not merely say that Scripture is unnecessary. Those are different ideas. Simply because the Bible may not be necessary to know Deity -in theory-, does not mean that Scripture is wrong, incorrect, or fiction, etc.

I'm confused. I'm not saying scripture is wrong, incorrect, or fiction (that's my personal view but not my point, though). It's saying you don't need the Bible to experience God. To those who need the Bible, a handful of them I meet can't live without it. There is one thing to use the scripture as your guide, it's a whole nother to replace scripture as your guide.

Deidre

I'm confused. I'm not saying scripture is wrong, incorrect, or fiction (that's my personal view but not my point, though). It's saying you don't need the Bible to experience God. To those who need the Bible, a handful of them I meet can't live without it. There is one thing to use the scripture as your guide, it's a whole nother to replace scripture as your guide.

So much this.

Stokley

So are you saying that if you couldn't hear or read, you wouldn't be able to know what God 'is?' Many people discover God through prayer. I was an atheist and came back to Christianity through a faith experience...through the holy spirit. Granted I was well aware of what the Bible teaches, but...the Bible did not lead me back to faith.

Be careful to judge others so harshly...for only God knows the heart. :sunflower:
Be careful to not emotionally overreact like a woman by calling my comments "harsh judgement." Just because you feel like I did so does not make your personal story valid.

Lol.

Tell us, what do you know about God beyond what is disclosed about Him in Scripture? Do you understand the words "disclose," and "beyond?"

Deidre

Be careful to not emotionally overreact like a woman by calling my comments "harsh judgement." Just because you feel like I did so does not make your personal story valid.

Lol.

Tell us, what do you know about God beyond what is disclosed about Him in Scripture? Do you understand the words "disclose," and "beyond?"

Not sure if serious.

Stokley

You are are unable to give any evidence you "know God without Sctipture." All you have to do is tell us what you know about Him.

Remember, simply knowing He exists without using The Bible does not mean you actually "know Him."

Is English your first language? Being a little familiar with someone you know exists does not mean you "know Him." Let me know when you are ready to share your knowledge about God. Do not be afraid.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I always wanted to understand this train of thought among some believers. There are some who are very direct and blunt in their evangalization; and, then when I do get to know them on here (before some left), I find that we just agree to disagree. At least they understood me and I understood them and we accepted this... and went our way without direspect.

I like that.

You are are unable to give any evidence you "know God without Sctipture." All you have to do is tell us what you know about Him.

I am not a Christian. If I were, I would not be a sola-scriptura christian because the whole world would be scripture not just the words in the book.

You know about god in the Bible (Satan knows the Bible). You can experience god everywhere (Satan can't do that). Unfortunately, I honestly feel you are mixing up learning about something and experiencing something.

Think of it this way:

Wouldn't you be spiting in God's face if you told him I only see you in this book but not in your Son?
Wouldn't it be spiting in God's face to say I see you in this book and not in your creation?
Wouldn't it be spiting in God's face to say I love you through this book and not by the Holy Spirit?

"You replace scriptures as if they are there the truth" (you are using words/traditions/rituals/etc) even when they (those actual traditions/words/etc) testify for me" in other words don't look to the words look to me, the Word. How can any Christian bypass this?

I am the Word; I am not the words. I am the Message.

Is English your first language? Being a little familiar with someone you know exists does not mean you "know Him.

A Christian (most I speak with) know have a relationship with Christ because of the Holy Spirit not because of the words they read in the Bible. Their personal relationship is not based on words: it's based on the Word (Christ). Huge difference!

Again, I think you're mixing learning about someone and experiencing someone. I learn about god in a book. I experience god through everything and everyone. (Where there is more than one person present, I am here). If there was no bible and two more Christians showed up, would Christ be there or would you need the book there? (If so, that is idolism)

Let me know when you are ready to share your knowledge about God. Do not be afraid.

My knowledge about god is not the same as yours. We come from different backgrounds and beliefs. We have different beliefs.

This is not a personal discussion. It's an objective question.

Why or how can you not see god outside the Bible?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
If we assume that , at some level here, i agree with you, this is off topic from my comments to your assessment of Scripture. I am critisizing your comments on Scripture, and your deity idea presented ,-in the context of Scripture, earlier in the thread. I really donøt care about the idea that some one who is not a believer --Bible - , would not øøneedøø the Bible -theoretically. I find this this idea to a non+argument, and presumptuous that said person would not need the Scripture. This becomes the argument that basically is a refutation of anything you disagree with religiously,, itøs not a øørealløø argument.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If we assume that , at some level here, i agree with you, this is off topic from my comments to your assessment of Scripture. I am critisizing your comments on Scripture, and your deity idea presented ,-in the context of Scripture, earlier in the thread. I really donøt care about the idea that some one who is not a believer --Bible - , would not øøneedøø the Bible -theoretically. I find this this idea to a non+argument, and presumptuous that said person would not need the Scripture. This becomes the argument that basically is a refutation of anything you disagree with religiously,, itøs not a øørealløø argument.

Are you typing on a non-standard keyboard? The /o are messing with my eyes when reading your posts.