• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

You do not have to prove to me.

stvdv

Veteran Member
Muslim" is from an Arabic word meaning "submitter (to God) But what is God? do Islam or Sufism has the "right" to claim to be the only once who know what God is?
Some say "Truth is God", others say "Love is God"
Usually people believe in "Truth" and "Love"
Takes Religion out of the equation
Of being (exclusively) important

Gargovic Malkav

What has happen to humans that we believe being "right" is the most important thing we must protect? How about listening to others?

When I reflect on that whenever I feel that way, I draw the conclusion it's because someone made me feel invalidated, like I'm not good enough.
My selfish subconscious tries to distract me from that by making up excuses why others aren't good enough instead of me.
And if reasoning doesn't work, my subconscious tries to distract me from that feeling by longing for that person's suffering and/or destruction.
But when the other person suffers from the same affliction, especially when the other is much better at it than I am, getting them back will only lead to more disappointment and frustration.
This is why the ego is often considered someone's lower self.
Because it leads to hatred suffering.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Question: What has happen to humans that we believe being "right" is the most important thing we must protect? How about listening to others?

True. Being obsessed with being right all the time, even though one has to lie about something you dont know much about is pretty rampant. :)

Nimos

Question: What has happen to humans that we believe being "right" is the most important thing we must protect? How about listening to others?

Is it not more to learn from listening than to demand that you are the only one who is right :confused:
Well that as a general statement is not really an issue or in theory it makes sense.

It's all about the "details" ain't it. Should abortion be allowed? should homosexsuallity? why does Palestine and Israel constantly bash heads? and the list goes on. A lot of these religious views extend far beyond personal beliefs, it affects societies and whole countries.

So how is anyone going to listen to each other, when their arguments are based on religious ideas and faith? If Muslims came to Denmark and demanded that all women should cover their hair. Because it's not about being right, but we have to listen to them. Trust me, it wouldn't go down easy with me :D

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Well that as a general statement is not really an issue or in theory it makes sense.

It's all about the "details" ain't it. Should abortion be allowed? should homosexsuallity? why does Palestine and Israel constantly bash heads? and the list goes on. A lot of these religious views extend far beyond personal beliefs, it affects societies and whole countries.

So how is anyone going to listen to each other, when their arguments are based on religious ideas and faith? If Muslims came to Denmark and demanded that all women should cover their hair. Because it's not about being right, but we have to listen to them. Trust me, it wouldn't go down easy with me :D
In discussion or other form of comunication, you take what you find good and beneficial to you, the rest you leave the other person freely belive. No very difficult :)

Nimos

In discussion or other form of comunication, you take what you find good and beneficial to you, the rest you leave the other person freely belive. No very difficult :)
Well again it doesn't really work. You have Islamic fundamentalist that gets so upset when people draw Muhammad, that they are willing to kill those that do it. So are they in the right or are those that draw them? Are muslims that don't like it, but don't want to kill these people right? So how do you determine which group is right or wrong?

And how do you convince those fundamentalists that they are not allowed to kill due to this, because clearly they believe they are in the right, because that is what their religion tells them.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Well again it doesn't really work. You have Islamic fundamentalist that gets so upset when people draw Muhammad, that they are willing to kill those that do it. So are they in the right or are those that draw them? Are muslims that don't like it, but don't want to kill these people right? So how do you determine which group is right or wrong?

And how do you convince those fundamentalists that they are not allowed to kill due to this, because clearly they believe they are in the right, because that is what their religion tells them.
Fundsmentalists are not following the teaching ( the believe they do)
It is unwise for a muslim to draw Muhammad, non muslims do not follow that guideline.
I do not speak for others than my own being. Other people must answer for their own action speech and thoughts.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If we were right all the time, how would we be able to learn :) Being wrong is a part of the journey through life.

Ha. No. Just when you know you're right about something to yourself, that shouldn't be a problem. If you find out you were wrong give yourself credit for your intellect and how you came to that conclusion.

For example, I'm right there are no divine prophets. If someone is listening they can acknowledge I am right while maintaining their own views. Instead of trying to prove me wrong (Now That's ego), they said Ive listened, I know you are right (confirming my feelings not ego), but I "believe" I am right instead. No debate. Just people came to their own conclusions. If I said two and two is five and you as a teacher didn't correct me, I'd never correct myself.

Maybe you mean being too prideful?

It's okay to be right. Just don't flaunt it ;)

Psalm23

Fundsmentalists are not following the teaching ( the believe they do)
It is unwise for a muslim to draw Muhammad, non muslims do not follow that guideline.
I do not speak for others than my own being. Other people must answer for their own action speech and thoughts.

Out of curiosity, why would it be unwise for a Muslims to draw Muhammad? Is it viewed as disrespectful to Muhammad?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Ha. No. Just when you know you're right about something to yourself, that shouldn't be a problem. If you find out you were wrong give yourself credit for your intellect and how you came to that conclusion.

For example, I'm right there are no divine prophets. If someone is listening they can acknowledge I am right while maintaining their own views. Instead of trying to prove me wrong (Now That's ego), they said Ive listened, I know you are right (confirming my feelings not ego), but I "believe" I am right instead. No debate. Just people came to their own conclusions. If I said two and two is five and you as a teacher didn't correct me, I'd never correct myself.

Maybe you mean being too prideful?

It's okay to be right. Just don't flaunt it ;)
It is a prosess of learning, life is learning about oneself.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Out of curiosity, why would it be unwise for a Muslims to draw Muhammad? Is it viewed as disrespectful to Muhammad?
Because we do not know how Muhammad looked, so the image that is made, is not of Muhammad him self, it is only our imagination to how we "think" Muhammad must have looked. So the wrong is when we call the drawing a portrait of Prophet Muhammad, (it is not a drawing of Muhammad, it is a drawing of our imagination.

Drawing Allah or Muhammad and say this is how they look, is a false statements and then it is a lie. Muslims are not suppose to lie on purpose.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
If there are objective moral truthes then being right is an imperative. But with trying to survive, and thrive in society then there are more than one right way to do things.

If you are in a process of learning something then more often then not you'll be wrong a lot before ever being right.

Eventually you'll want to live in the right of things. Not everything is polar, many things are multifaceted.

Since most things are a learning process it's important to allow for wrongs. Mistakes, wrongs, and faults are a part of living.

SigurdReginson

Grēne Mann
Premium Member
There's really not much I can add that you haven't already stated yourself! Personal growth is an amazing path to traverse... When we look back and see where we began, and where we are today, it can give us many things to contemplate; not just in how far we've come, but in the possibilities of where we'll go.

The reward for gaining some understanding of these things is to see life with more of a bird's eye view, I feel. With that perspective, we can begin to understand just how tiny our place is in the world. Speaking for myself, it's not a demoralizing thing to realize my own insignificance in the vastness of all existence. On the contrary; with the realization that there is so much more out there than my limited mind can begin to understand, there will never be an end in the distant horizons to explore and the endless things to learn. :)

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For many years i was of the belief that i had to prove to others that i was worth something, or that my belief was worth listening to.
As soon someone wanted to prove to me their worth or belief, i was like "well, no that is wrong, because i belive this" and i would do my best to prove everything i did and said was the only truth :facepalm: Boy was i wrong.

Being around people from different background and belief is maybe the most valuable lesson i could ever learn.
So, no :) You do not have to prove to me that what you believe is better or your self worth is better than mine.
Be who you are, share what you want and maybe you meet someone who listen to you for years to come :)

Is it not more to learn from listening than to demand that you are the only one who is right :confused:

Actually, I would argue, Islam teaches, you shouldn't assert anything pertaining to religion or God or morality without solid proof. It doesn't matter if you know you are right, God says to bring proof if we are truthful.

The problem with humans is we assert without proof and follow without proof. Both of these will lead people astray regarding God and his religion.