• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your "deal-breaker." What is it and why?

Secret Chief

Degrow!
What is the one thing (belief, practice, whatever) that you could not give up, the "deal-breaker" of your belief system (or non-belief). There are probably aspects which you don't feel crucial and could (and maybe have) let slip, but what is it that you could not cast aside?

I'm a Buddhist and my deal- breaker is meditation. Why? Because it is the basis for the practice. If I did not meditate I would not consider myself to be a Buddhist.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
What is the one thing (belief, practice, whatever) that you could not give up, the "deal-breaker" of your belief system (or non-belief).
I'm not sure, good question.

The ones I feel are most important to me are an afterlife and form of divinity. Not for some crutch thing, but because I believe in their existence. Otherwise, probably equality, self-study, and mysticism.

I'm a Buddhist and my deal- breaker is meditation. Why? Because it is the basis for the practice. If I did not meditate I would not consider myself to be a Buddhist.
Lots of other religions meditate as well though. What brought you to Buddhism as opposed to, Hinduism, Sikhism, Jainism, or Taoism, all of which feature meditation? :)

If it wasn't for the fact that Vaishnavism is inherently monotheistic that also posesses universalism (or universal reconciliation), I wouldn't identify as a Vaishnava (Hindu) otherwise.

I struggle here and there, and sometimes I feel like abandoning my Faith. But what keeps me in is the aesthetics, and the knowledge that God will eventually save everyone [from the cycle of birth and death], some faster than others, lol.

Caladan

Agnostic Pantheist
Lack of compatibility with the natural sciences. lack of compatibility with the philosophy and crazy Spartan ideals I adhere to. even basic things as changing my dietary practices and implying I should give up things, meat, pork, beer.
If a person actually gives up any of those or similar practices it should come from a different approach than spiritual ones. such as choosing to drink moderately, or changing eating and drinking consumption because of sport and exercise.
any philosophy which limits the things which I consider human is probably not suit for me.
living life to the fullest comes first. and I suspect any philosophy which limits man.
in fact, I suspect by instincts any philosophy which DOES speak about divinity, or spiritual effects over the material world.
I need to see the world in completely naturalistic terms. then for example, it is easier for me to incorporate meditation to my regular routine.
I feel free to chant AUM in yoga class for example, when I don't expect a shining light to come from the ceiling and surround me, if I have to make a parody in order to make my point.

To expand on the OP then. I can be accepting of any religion as long as we don't divert from the natural world. and as long as there are no unrealistic expectations.

heretic

Heretic Knight

My deal-breaker is the belief in seeing God , I try to make all practices I do , any act , or belief I believe serve this purpose .
I belief that experiencing God is relative , it’s related to the knowledge someone may get about him , and someone's ecstasy in experiencing God depends on this knowledge . What I hope to , is to increase my knowledge and awareness of God through prayers , meditations ,reading , .. and consequently increase God experience ecstasy

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
What is the one thing (belief, practice, whatever) that you could not give up, the "deal-breaker" of your belief system (or non-belief). There are probably aspects which you don't feel crucial and could (and maybe have) let slip, but what is it that you could not cast aside?
My deal-breakers would be impermanence and the butterfly effect. They're the foundation of my (current) mindset.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
Lots of other religions meditate as well though. What brought you to Buddhism as opposed to, Hinduism, Sikhism, Jainism, or Taoism, all of which feature meditation? :)

Yes I suppose a lot of traditions feature meditation or something of that nature which may have another name perhaps, such as “contemplation.”

I was brought to Buddhism by accident - my parents are Christian and in my early adult life I would have said I was an atheist, if I had been asked. I had not looked into other religions because I was not interested; I associated “religion” with a “creator deity” belief, which I rejected. When I found out about Buddhism I discovered it was not concerned with a creator deity and the general Buddhist “world view” seemed (in broad terms) to coincide with my own. So I did not, in that sense “become” a Buddhist. It just fitted with the person I already was.

So the meditation aspect…beliefs involving creator deities are still off the menu for me, whether or not they have a meditation-type practice. As I learned more of Buddhism I came to appreciate that meditation is the bedrock on which it is based. The Buddha realised awakening this way, and that is the gateway on offer. That’s how it seems to me anyhow!!!

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
The ability to change any belief, as I see fit.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
That’s how it seems to me anyhow!!!

I see, thank you for sharing.

However, both Jainism and Taoism do not have creator deities either. Do you think you went into Buddhism because Taoism and Jainism are smaller and less known about? :)