• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your "deal-breaker." What is it and why?

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
Fidelity. Being true to myself, but also being loyal and true to those I care about. There needs to be a strength of conviction in your beliefs and in your relationships. And if you truly value someone else, then you won't want to cheat or be duplicitous with them. Any ideology which seems to support self-deception or falseness in relationships immediately becomes suspect.

With that said I have had to basically invent my own world view and set of beliefs in order to adhere to this.

MTF

blackout

Violet.
*I Mage I Nation.

oh yes,
and Purple of course.

('proper'/traditional grammar and spelling optional)

*possible translation-- I Cast My Reality.

Last edited:

rageoftyrael

Veritas
One thing i'll never be able to do? Lie to myself. It's the reason why i'm an agnostic atheist. I can't lie to myself, and i don't think anything will ever change that will allow me to do so.

chinu

chinu
What is the one thing (belief, practice, whatever) that you could not give up, the "deal-breaker" of your belief system (or non-belief). There are probably aspects which you don't feel crucial and could (and maybe have) let slip, but what is it that you could not cast aside?
I'm a Buddhist and my deal- breaker is meditation. Why? Because it is the basis for the practice. If I did not meditate I would not consider myself to be a Buddhist.

I pray that O God... please make me so strong so that i could never give up my habit of " Deal breaking " for my beloved, means i want to give up everything for my beloved.

Where there is NO- deal-breaking -- there is chinu, or ego
Where there is deal-breaking --there is no-chinu, or chinu is vanishing everytime, and beloved is taking place of chinu. :)

and.. All that which i wrote above -- is my meditation.;)

_/\_
Chinu

MysticSang'ha

Big Squishy Hugger
Premium Member
Three Marks of Existence.

Impermanence
Suffering
No-self

That's it for me. Except for jumping on the trampoline. Or stiletto heels. Or The Running Man dance move. Actually I have a lot of dealbreakers because I'm really fickle, demanding, and PMSing right now.

Give me some chocolate.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What is the one thing (belief, practice, whatever) that you could not give up, the "deal-breaker" of your belief system (or non-belief). There are probably aspects which you don't feel crucial and could (and maybe have) let slip, but what is it that you could not cast aside?

I'm a Buddhist and my deal- breaker is meditation. Why? Because it is the basis for the practice. If I did not meditate I would not consider myself to be a Buddhist.
For me, I don't think I'd be able to call myself a freethinker if I no longer cared about whether my beliefs were true.

9Westy9

Sceptic, Libertarian, Egalitarian
Premium Member

My open mindedness for one

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged
Interdependent Origination.

Unless the definition of interdependent origination that I read was somehow mistaken (or I was grossly misunderstanding it) this is something that no one can ever give up and still remain internally consistent or able to relate to reality in any way shape or form.

No absolute, permanent existence; everything is dependent in some way on everything else; nothing is uncaused (both meanings are supported) are all features or facets of dealing with limited (not eternal, perfect, etc) structures that are bound up in cause and effect (nothing cannot create anything as it wouldn't be nothing if it could do something).

MTF

PolyHedral

Superabacus Mystic
Unless the definition of interdependent origination that I read was somehow mistaken (or I was grossly misunderstanding it) this is something that no one can ever give up and still remain internally consistent or able to relate to reality in any way shape or form.
The FTL neutrinos disagree. ;)

ManTimeForgot

Temporally Challenged

Cause and effect is inviolate. Causes might have indistinct effects (effects we are not capable of discriminating or realizing in their entirety), but you can't have zero cause.

Operationally you can have something which is close enough to random to approximate being random for all practical purposes, but there actually isn't anything which is truly random. In order to be truly random whatever it is would have to have no relation to anything else in existence (not merely the universe).

I'm willing to give up non-locality OR hidden variables, but not both.

MTF

Photonic

Ad astra!

The FTL Neutrinos have not, as of yet, been confirmed to be anything other than an experimental error.

It is my hope that they are not, but I'll keep trying to debunk it in the hopes that the observation still remains standing.

Secret Chief

Degrow!

MTF

There goes the Abrahamic faiths then with their internally inconsistent views I think! :eek:

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There goes the Abrahamic faiths then with their internally inconsistent views I think! :eek:

Ha ha.:D

We of the Abraham religions are humans, too. We all see things a little differently. ;) That is why we are inconsistent. :)