• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your "deal-breaker." What is it and why?

Secret Chief

Degrow!
I see, thank you for sharing.

However, both Jainism and Taoism do not have creator deities either. Do you think you went into Buddhism because Taoism and Jainism are smaller and less known about? :)

Well at the time I wasn't sort of shopping but would have heard of the former but not the latter. Now I still see Buddhism as being most 'in tune' with my world view, and see Zen as Buddhism passed through the lens of philosophical Taoism to some extent.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, you're wrong. Thanks for saying my beliefs don't exist at all though.

May be you meant to quote somebody else, or just lost concentration for a bit there. If you're okay now, go back and check my post again. If you still can't see where the problem is supposed to be, the problem is i never said anything remotely close to the effect that your beliefs don't exist at all, in anyway. I never actually mentioned your beliefs to begin with.

Jason

What is the one thing (belief, practice, whatever) that you could not give up, the "deal-breaker" of your belief system (or non-belief). There are probably aspects which you don't feel crucial and could (and maybe have) let slip, but what is it that you could not cast aside?

I'm a Buddhist and my deal- breaker is meditation. Why? Because it is the basis for the practice. If I did not meditate I would not consider myself to be a Buddhist.
All of it. The Truth is inexpendable. I can't think of a thing I Believe or practice that isn't crucial.

Photonic

Ad astra!
I don't think that was implied in the question.

You said my belief wasn't implied even though the question clearly covers mine. My belief is that I can change my belief based on if it is relevant anymore or not.

Saying that his question doesn't imply my world view in this case would be saying I don't HAVE a world view.

A

angellous_evangellous

For me, it is the bodily resurrection of Christ.

To me, it really is the only Christian doctrine. Everything else flows from it and through it - take that one piece out and nothing is left.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You said my belief wasn't implied even though the question clearly covers mine. My belief is that I can change my belief based on if it is relevant anymore or not.

Saying that his question doesn't imply my world view in this case would be saying I don't HAVE a world view.

Thats not what i was trying to say at all. That part i meant was not implied was the 'shown to be false' part, not your personal beliefs.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
What is the one thing (belief, practice, whatever) that you could not give up, the "deal-breaker" of your belief system (or non-belief). There are probably aspects which you don't feel crucial and could (and maybe have) let slip, but what is it that you could not cast aside?

I'm a Buddhist and my deal- breaker is meditation. Why? Because it is the basis for the practice. If I did not meditate I would not consider myself to be a Buddhist.

Even if I weren't a Christian, I would not be able to give up my love of mankind. I have found that most people have redeeming qualities, although there are a small amount of people I have doubts about. :)

Photonic

Ad astra!
Thats not what i was trying to say at all. That part i meant was not implied was the 'shown to be false' part, not your personal beliefs.

If they are shown to be falsely held beliefs by the science, then there is no reason to hold onto them anymore. No matter how good they make me feel.

I would rather know then live in blissful ignorance. I'm flexible like that.

SO I guess the one thing I couldn't give up is my ability to know.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If they are shown to be falsely held beliefs by the science, then there is no reason to hold onto them anymore. No matter how good they make me feel.

I would rather know then live in blissful ignorance. I'm flexible like that.

I agree. I wasn't disputing that. I was simply saying that nobody implied that we should or would hold on to beliefs if shown to be false.

SO I guess the one thing I couldn't give up is my ability to know.

Ah, as i understood the OP was talking about what parts of the religion (practice or belief or whatever) that are most important to us. The parts that any religion wouldn't stand without them in our view, i don't think the question includes what you're saying, but according to the OP's clarification afterwards it actually might, i'm not sure.

Secret Chief

Degrow!
@Badran and Photonic.

I'm sorry if my OP has been the cause of disagreement. You have both posted your personal responses to my OP and that is all I was looking for. Perhaps my OP had not allowed for the answer 'nothing' which maybe has led to the confuddlement.

Well at the time I wasn't sort of shopping but would have heard of the former but not the latter. Now I still see Buddhism as being most 'in tune' with my world view, and see Zen as Buddhism passed through the lens of philosophical Taoism to some extent.

I could be wrong (but I'm sure I'm correct), it is the Buddha's ultimate view of Emptiness that sets it apart from other religions.