• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your political/gender abortion stance

What are you?

• Male, conservative, pro-life

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • Male, conservative, pro-choice

Votes: 3 6.3%
  • Female, conservative, pro-life

Votes: 2 4.2%
  • Female, conservative, pro-choice

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • Male, liberal, pro-life

• Male, liberal, pro-choice

Votes: 8 16.7%
  • Female, liberal, pro-life

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Female, liberal, pro-choice

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • Male, independent, pro-life

• Male, independent, pro-choice

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • Female, independent, pro-life

Votes: 4 8.3%
  • Female, independent, pro-choice

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I consider myself an independent and pro-life. That doesn't mean that the pro-life position is more liberal than I think. It means that I have a conservative point of view on that subject.
Yet given what you write below, there are people who have an even more conservative view than you and would consider you (relatively speaking) liberal.

I think that pro-choice, in the rawest sense, is a liberal term.
I think both "pro-life" and "pro-choice" are terms that were made up in order to make the "other side" look bad. Pro-life suggests that the "other side" is "anti-life." And pro-choice suggests that the "other side" is "anti-choice." Both of which is ridiculous.

There are grey areas in the middle and I bet that few here are pure pro-life or pro-choice.
Agreed.

For example, I am in favor of the morning after pill, and abortion in cases of rape, incest or if the mother's life is in danger. Yet, I still consider myself pro-life.
I personally would not have an abortion even if I were raped. (Of course I won't really know for sure unless it happens.) I think it's awful whenever there's an abortion under any circumstance. And I am against abortion entirely after the 6th month or so (unless and only if the woman's life is truly in danger or if the foetus is discovered to be so deformed that it can't live outside the womb). But I consider myself to be pro-choice.

So obviously these labels do not convey the complexity of the issue.

But anyway, I was just saying that just because someone calls themselves "pro-choice" it may not mean their liberal. They could be libertarians. :D

jonny

Yet given what you write below, there are people who have an even more conservative view than you and would consider you (relatively speaking) liberal.

That's probably true. I guess that's why even LDS General Conferences draw anti-abortion protestors.

I personally would not have an abortion even if I were raped. (Of course I won't really know for sure unless it happens.) I think it's awful whenever there's an abortion under any circumstance. And I am against abortion entirely after the 6th month or so (unless and only if the woman's life is truly in danger or if the foetus is discovered to be so deformed that it can't live outside the womb). But I consider myself to be pro-choice.

So obviously these labels do not convey the complexity of the issue.

But anyway, I was just saying that just because someone calls themselves "pro-choice" it may not mean their liberal. They could be libertarians. :D

I misspoke when I typed earlier. I agree that it's awful when there is an abortion. I didn't mean to say that I "favor" these things. I meant that I favor keeping them legal.

Smoke

Done here.
Sorry, Draka, I screwed up. I voted Male, Liberal, Pro-Life. Should have been Male, Liberal, Pro-Choice. (Although I do consider myself an independent; just a liberal one.)