• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your position about Islam

Sabour

1. I think Islam is one of the great religions, the closest monotheistic religion to my own. I think it, like Christianity, is a descendant-religion of Judaism, and has much to offer in terms of valuable teachings and great potential to produce thoughtful and moral society.

2. Not at the moment, but thanks.

3. I don't believe in the concept of a "wrong religion." Judaism is not universalist-- it doesn't teach that it is the only right way, and all others are wrong-- we only hold that Judaism is the right way for Jews, and there may be many acceptable, appropriate, and effective ways for non-Jews. It seems to me that Islam would certainly be at the top of any list of good religions for a non-Jew to espouse, since it is monotheistic, and shares many of the values Judaism esteems.

What I do think is wrong is the degree to which extremism and fundamentalism dominates Islam, or comes dangerously close to dominating Islam, in most Muslim countries. I don't think fundamentalism and extremism is a good thing in any religion, and I oppose it vigorously when I encounter it in Judaism. This is a problem that all religions suffer to one degree or another, to be sure-- it's not just Islam. But somehow it seems like a more acute problem in Islam than in many other religions at this particular juncture. I think mostly this is due to Islam still being a younger religion-- it's only around 1400-odd years since it got founded. Judaism at the turn of the Common Era (around the same age) was contentious, factional, full of problems; Christianity around 1400 or 1500 CE was violent, imperialistic, willfully ignorant and intolerant. I would imagine that Islam will evolve away from this level of extremism and fundamentalism over the next five or six hundred years. But it is a bit of a problem right now. I wish there were more Muslim voices calling for true moderation and progressiveness in Islam, as I sometimes hear from American and Canadian Muslims. But I can imagine it might be difficult to demand progress when such demands are so often met with violence and death. It's a tough situation for everyone, Muslims and non-Muslims.

I agree with many point you've mentioned. I am not very familiar with Judaism but am sure there are many differences between it and Islam.

As you said, the problem you've mentioned are present in all religions, however I also believe that media blows things out of proportion.

The things we are seeing today are prophecies of the prophet Muhammad peace be upon him. He was said, Islam started strange and will sound strange again.

For example, another prophecy that we are living today is The Messenger of God said: The nations are about to flock against you [the Muslims] from every horizon, just as hungry people flock to a kettle. We said: O Messenger of God, will we be few on that day? He said: No, you will be many in number, but you will be scum, like the scum of a flash-flood, without any weight, since fear will be removed from the hearts of your enemies, and weakness (wahn) will be placed in your hearts. We said: O Messenger of God, what does the word wahn mean? He said: Love of this world, and fear of death.[18]

Sabour

My position is it doesn't matter what your beliefs are. You represent only yourself not a religion.

People adapt their beliefs to their needs. You adapt Islam to your needs according to your determinism. If you are basically a good person, you will be a good person regardless of your religious beliefs. If you find meaning or purpose in Islam, it's none of my business. How you actually treat me and others, that is my business.

This would be away from our thread but I would like to ask you don't you think that sometimes one may come to a religion and change his beliefs because it doesn't go with his religion?

Wrong. It clearly states the God of Abraham in the Qur'an. I don't know if you know but Muhammad's claim is that he got his information from the Angel Gabriel.
No you are incorrect.The God that I know,Yahweh or Jehovah,is the God of Israel, and the God of Abraham,but, the god that Muslims know is not He.They can say the god of Abraham but that does not mean it is Jehovah. Yes,I do know that Mohammed claimed that he received his info from Gabriel the Angel.He said that Gabriel strangled him and forced him to memorize it all and write it down word for word.Just because he claimed he received it from Gabriel doe not prove anything.Muslims also deny Jesus as being from the God of Israel.They claim he was just a prophet and even deny that he was executed.Islam is all fabricated.Its stories taken from the talmud and changed around.

First off, if Allah is in fact a contraction of two words, al and ilah, then Abualrub is wrong in saying that Allah is Arabic for elohim. Elohim is the plural form of eloah, and in neither case do we find the definite article forming part of the words themselves as we find with Allah. The definite article in Hebrew is ha, not al, and if one wanted to speak of THE God in Hebrew, he would have to attach the definite article to the words that are commonly used for God in the Hebrew Bible (i.e., el, eloah, elohim etc.). Notice the following examples:

"After that God said to Jacob: ‘Rise, go up to Beth´el and dwell there, and make an altar there to the God (ha el) who appeared to you when you were running away from E´sau your brother.’ … and let us rise and go up to Beth´el. And there I shall make an altar to the God (ha el) who answered me in the day of my distress in that he proved to be with me in the way that I have gone." Genesis 35:1, 3

"You—you have been shown, so as to know that Jehovah is the God (ha elohim); there is no other besides him… And you well know today, and you must call back to your heart that Jehovah is the God (ha elohim) in the heavens above and on the earth beneath. There is no other." Deuteronomy 4:35, 39

"Thus said God (ha el), Jehovah, preparing The heavens, and stretching them out, Spreading out the earth and its productions, Giving breath to the people on it, And spirit to those walking in it." Isaiah 42:5 YLT

Secondly, despite the fact that the word ilah comes from the same Semitic field of words from which we get eloah, el, il, etc., these words were never used exclusively for the true God, but could be used for any deity worshiped by any person or groups, as both the Bible and Quran show:

"Go and cry out to the gods (ha elohim) whom you have chosen; let them save you in the time of your distress." Judges 10:14

"God (elohim) has stood in the company of God (el), In the midst of the gods (elohim) he judges… I said, ‘You are gods (elohim), sons of the Most High, all of you;’" Psalm 82:1, 6

I have therefore delivered him into the hand of the god (el) of the heathen; he shall surely deal with him: I have driven him out for his wickedness. Ezekiel 31:11

And the king shall do as he wills. He shall exalt himself and magnify himself above EVERY god (el), and shall speak astonishing things against the God of gods (El elim). He shall prosper till the indignation is accomplished; for what is decreed shall be done. Daniel 11:36

"Know ye that Jehovah, he is God (elohim): It is he that hath made us, and we are his; We are his people, and the sheep of his pasture." Psalm 100:3 ASV

Allah of Islam, Is He Yahweh God of the Bible?

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Sunrise123, Thanks for your very interesting answers.Let me please answer them

Well let me explain Islam first.

As muslims we believe that Allah sent us prophets. There are a total about 124000 prophets sent to mankind out of which 25 were mentioned in the Quraan. These prophets all came with the same message from God which is worshiping God alone. From these prophets there are Moses and Jesus peace be upon them. They both had the Torah and Injeel as revelations just like we have the Quraan as a revelation. However the difference is that Muhammad peace be upon him was the last prophet and the Quraan was the last revelation and hence it was preserved. If we look at the Quraan we find that Quraan has always been in the hands of the people and the language which it came with is still a living language. Whereas the bible is not the Injeel that was revealed because it has changed overtime and you find many different versions of the bible and not two are the same. So we believe that the message of all the prophets are essentially the same. Hence we believe that they all were muslims.

However, there is a major difference between Islam and Christianity as known today. Islam holds that there is One God while Christianity implies having three, no matter how you twist the explanation of the trinity. Do you think that holding these two different beliefs would both lead to the same place?

Many scholars have different translations and explanations of the Quraan. Believe it or not, even people who know Arabic sometimes face the same problem for the Arabic language is like a sea and a letter or a vowel ( which you see on the letter) can change the whole meaning of a sentence. So there are explanations from scholars and some hadith of the the prophet that explain the verses.

As muslims we are not free to interpret the Quraan as we want if something is vague. We must refer to different scholars to know the meaning. Similarly, there are different translations and different explanations for the Quraan in English.

Besides, why not learning Arabic :D

I would say Quraan is only the Quraan in Arabic in that in English it is rather like an interpretation.

Well let me say that as Muslims we have two sources to determine what is Islamic and what is not. These two sources are from the Quraan and from the Sunnah.

Let me add that it is not for people to find what suits them in Islam. Islam is taken as a whole and it can't be taken as parts. You can't take the Jihad part and neglect other parts. You can't take the worship aspect and neglect other aspects for Islam is a complete system of life and one only part is taken, it won't be Islam anymore.

About ISIS, I would say that many muslims are mislead due to them not knowing their religion properly. From what I see and hear, ISIS is the complete opposite of Islam and I would say that Islam is not their motivation at all. It is rather what they are covering their acts with.

To answer your last question, I would say as Jesus peace be upon him said, seek the truth with your heart and the truth shall free you.

The first word of the Quraan revealed to out prophet Muhammad peace be upon him was "READ". That has to count for something.

Hi One-answer,

If you look over the last 1400 years, both Islam and Christianity have had very bloody records. I have heard that BOTH religions have 250-300 MILLION deaths on their hands - EACH!

So groups like ISIS and Boko Haram are not new. This has been going on from the very beginning of Islam.

For 1400 years MANY MUSLIMS have decided that Islam means conquest.

How do you know that you're correct and they're all wrong? Certainly it's extremely easy to defend the conquest idea when you read the Quran and learn about the life of Muhammad - which was a life of conquest.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That is a nice set of questions right there. How separate should one be perceived from the other, and why?
I am not sure that I correctly understood the question, and I don't know if that answers the question, but the prophet once said no one of you will be a believer until he loves for his brother what he loves for himself. According to some scholars, we are talking here about brothers in humanity, and not only brothers in Islam.
A very healthy teaching, that. Not quite what I was asking about, though.
My question was about the separation between Islam (the high ideal) and its practice. Is it at all proper to call the religious practice of Muslims and its results "Islam"? They certainly seem to at least nominally have Islam as a goal, if nothing else.

To which extent is Islam not the collective result of Muslim practice? If they are not one and the same, then why does Muslim practice matter?
As you know, we have the Quraan as the revealed Word of Allah to our prophet Muhammad peace be upon him. And Allah has chose prophets to share the message with humanity to worship Allah alone.
With that said, we should know that the sources of Islam are both from the Quraan and from our last prophet Muhammad peace be upon him. So no matter how many muslims do a thing, if it is not Quraan or Sunnah supported than it is not Islamic.
This I have some problem with. You seem to be practically saying that Muslims are completely irrelevant to Islam, which is apparently perfect and self-suficient in and of itself. The relationship between Islam and pious Muslims seems to be very one-sided: Muslims need Islam, but Islam could never particularly need Muslims.
Such is not a perspective I can very heartily accept or advise. It is inherently fragile, if not outright unhealthy.

As portrayed in the Quraan and from the Sunnah, one can't be muslim enough because being a muslim 100 % means being perfect.
See, that is a good example of what I mean. Is it really a good idea to repeatedly state that we all are o ever so completely separate from perfection?
I can only wonder how many of us can even believe in that. But worse of all, such an idea is all to suitable to abuse. Claims of "not being perfect" may so very easily become excuses for not taking due responsibility for our choices and mistakes.
I truly think no person should refuse at least the hope of getting a glimpse, if not actual moments of experience, of perfection. There is no good reason for simply labelling ourselves "unworthy" or whatever. That way false pretense of humility lies.

Sure you would find some violence and fighting back verses, but this is only because it is part of life. One will face some occasions when he is expelled out of his country for example. Fighting in that case for example, is not forbidden, as indicated in the Quraan. (this is just an example)
Certainly, there are many examples of imperfection in anyone's life.
But is it really proper to claim all the imperfections to our natures and all perfection to the same Islam that we supposedly owe submission to, even when we do not consider ourselves Muslims?
It seems to me that if we take things that far the very concept of Islam loses nearly all of its meaning.

It is very much a Theistic, Abrahamic Faith. One that holds scripture in high regard. And one that assumes that everyone would convert ("revert") to it if it only gave the Quran and the Faith a fair chance at that.
As for scripture, it is because Quraan is the Word of Allah revealed to our prophet Muhammad peace be upon him and as you know Islam is all about worshiping God alone and associating no partners. God is the Almighty, the only perfect one. So we hold his Words in the highest regards.
Such a belief sounds quite exotic to me. Why assume that there is a God at all? Why believe that the Quran has any particular connection to Him? Why would it be advisable to associate with no partners?
Why should any religion give so much weight to its own scripture, when it is instead (in my sincere belief) the motivation and discernment of the adherents and their everyday practice that lends meaning, purpose and worth to any scripture?

As for expecting everyone to convert/revert, Do you think that God being the Creator of everything and the All knowledgeable doesn't know us. He knows us better than we know ourselves. Based on that, any thing from God is the right thing.
In that case, I feel entitled to say that God does not want me to believe in his existence at all, and I should therefore summarily disregard any claims of His existence.
That because he chose not to give me any reason to believe in His existence, nor to want Him to exist. It must therefore follow that He wants me to doubt His existence fiercely, which I shall. Even if it is not due to any particular belief that He wants me to.

As for the "fair chance" part, God makes it clear through out the Quraan that things won't be easy and that people, even strong believers won't have an easy life, it is on the contrary.
I meant we people giving Islam and the Quran (and by extension, the belief in Abraham's God) a fair chance of convincing us that we should adhere to it.

Which is to say, it is not for me, and it can never be a good fit for many people.
Should we discuss the reasons and see why it is not a fit?
As it pleases you. If the above did not give you a fair idea, feel free to ask.

How much of a conviction that converts are actually reverts do you have, and why?
There is a hadith saying Abu Huraira reported: The Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him, said, “No one is born except upon natural instinct, then his parents turn him into a Jew or Christian or Magian.
Also Quraan 30:30
So direct your face toward the religion, inclining to truth. [Adhere to] the fitrah of Allah upon which He has created [all] people. No change should there be in the creation of Allah . That is the correct religion, but most of the people do not know. ( fitrah is like instict).
So we believe that God created all people as believers. This is the instinct inside of them, because as you know Islam is all about worshiping God and God alone. So one that happens, you feel in peace with yourself because that is your instinct, this is how Allah created you.
I take it that Magians are Zoroastrians? I am not familiar with that word.
You know, when you claim that you believe that all people are created as believers (in God) you are in effect authorizing me to state outright that Islam is misguided.

Because it demands belief in God and centers its doctrine on that belief.
Would that be not a problem if it were proved to be true?
It is not a problem to me, except by way of the expectations of many that I should somehow become a believer.
It is difficult to have much trust in the wisdom of a faith that claims outright that everyone should believe in God's existence, let alone one that claims that I am a believer in denial.
What do you mean by proving it to be true? I think we can agree that Islam (the religion) is indeed centered on the belief in God, so there is no need to prove that.
What is left to prove?

Because it holds scripture in such high regard.
Doesn't it deserve to be in the highest regard if it is the Word of your Creator?
The highest possible regard for scripture, given that premise, certainly.
That level of regard, however, is still well below the regard that should be given to actual human discernment. I know that Muslims will essentially have to disagree with me there, but it is just so obvious to me.

Because it expects everyone to be capable of belief in God or to benefit from it.
Benefits in this world is living in peace and having answers to questions and in in the afterlife it would be eternity in heaven. It explains our purpose. However, God never told us that it would be an easy rode in this life to do so. But God promises to facilitate us a way if we seek Him.
Was this meant as a remark to my statement about the expectation of belief in God? It does not seem to have a connection to it.
I will have to wait a bit, but thanks.

Because it thinks of disbelievers as sinners.
Sinners would be those people knowing the truth but rather choosing not to believe.
How can someone know the truth yet choose not to believe it? Is that at all possible?

There are rights towards the creation and right towards the Creator. However there are some people who it was simply not there fault because they were not approached the right way or were never approached by the subject. For those people will have their own test later. However, God will judge each one accordingly for He knows intentions of people and knows each person.
If that is so, proselistism looks like a very bad idea, and you are basically stating that God does not want people to make a point of His supposed existence.

Because it separates the religion from the practice.
I did not understand what you mean by that?
All too often, Islam seems to be presented as something that should be believed in instead of reflected about and acted upon.

Sabour

In all seriousness, I have never heard this particular misconception. One need only study Islam at the most superficial level to understand that Jesus is #3 in the Islamic pecking order, after Allah and Muhammad. Christians hold Jesus to be supreme, by and large. Many see him as god in the flesh. Islamic theology, changes that long held POV and makes the Christian supreme figure secondary to the founder of Islam.

Well there is no secret that we are against that teaching in "Christianity" however what you have provided about ranking is not true.

2:136 Say, [O believers], "We have believed in Allah and what has been revealed to us and what has been revealed to Abraham and Ishmael and Isaac and Jacob and the Descendants and what was given to Moses and Jesus and what was given to the prophets from their Lord. We make no distinction between any of them, and we are Muslims [in submission] to Him."

49:13 O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted.

If there is "no compulsion in religion" why did Gabriel allegedly compel Muhammad to "Read/Recite"? In some ways, Islam was founded on an act of compulsion.

I don't know where did you get the compelling thing but that is not true.

I'm not a fan of so-called "revelation". It's not something that works for me as an honest form of communication. That said, the revelations revealed to the mind of the individual tell us more about the mental state of that individual than they do about our relationship with the universe or any particular deity.

In that case I would say you are wrong in your thinking as I believe we are not the one to judge how things must be conducted and how God should send us revelations. You say that this is not your way, well that is of little significance because God does what he wants. So the real question is what is the way that God chose. It is not how you or me prefer it for God knows which is a better way.

As you read the Quraan, God will always tell you to think and reflect on things and you can see some direct challenges.

Sabour

I believe that Islam is a religion founded by Muhammad's followers out of a sense of respect and veneration that was nearly worship. They gathered a collection of poetry he had composed/collected, as many cultured men of his day did. This became the Quraan.
The resulting culture became one of the most advanced the world had ever seen. Learning, ethics, art and architecture, all flourished and it became very peaceful and stable. So much so that the culture eventually stagnated and centuries later was surpassed by others, notably Christendom, which was throwing off it's religious dominance. Unfortunately, Islamic culture dragged many primitive cultural and ethical memes along with it.

Tom

Well to answer that according to Islam I would start with saying that Islam did not start with Muhammad peace be upon him. That is another misconception. Islam was there since men were on earth because Adam was a muslim and all the prophets that came shared the message of Islam.

Also I should note that your view isn't correct for Muhammad peace be upon him couldn't read or write. The first word which was revealed to the prophet which is "read" also means "recite". So God asked Muhammad peace be upon him through the angel Gabriel to recite what the angel is telling him.

Furthermore, if you read the Quraan, you will see it saying that if that Quraan had been from a man it would have been evident for the reader. Also there is a direct challenge for people to try to bring like the Quraan even if it was one chapter ( and the smallest chapter is from three verses).

This challenge was at the time were Arabs were EXCELLENT in poetry and poetry was their game. Many attempted to take that Challenge but massively failed.

4:82 Then do they not reflect upon the Qur'an? If it had been from [any] other than Allah , they would have found within it much contradiction.

2:23 And if you are in doubt about what We have sent down upon Our Servant [Muhammad], then produce a surah the like thereof and call upon your witnesses other than Allah , if you should be truthful.

Sabour

1) I see it as;
- A religion on generally equal footing with other major religions
- Diverse in its interpretations.
- Both overly prescriptive & contradictory in prescribing personal behavior.
- I find that individual Muslims aren't defined by Islam.
This poses some danger to both adherents & non-adherents.
2) No questions. Just watching.
3) It has no basis in fact.

Well I don't know how exactly I would answer you, I think as you said, watching would be great to answer your third assumption

Sabour

It is currently a stain in humanity in need of some pretty serious reforms quickly.

We are not to change Islam because it is sent from God and it is perfect. Any change, no matter how tiny it is will make it not perfect.

Factual Plagiarized mythology that perverted the previous religions.

It is not plagiarized. As I have explained earlier all prophets came with the same message which is worshiping only God.

And the Quraan revives some of the stories of the bible and the Torah

Its required literalism requires fanaticism and fundamentalism which breeds terrorism and primitive and barbaric behavior.

Islam is not what you provided.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wRrP_YOKx0

It is not clear in context, it is not clear in meaning. So its own followers have been killing each other since the book was forced by sword on the population.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Y2Or0LlO6g

It is not clear in context only for those who don't want it to be clear. And even when it is not clear, people are supposed to search and ask.

Islam in its essence is following from the heart. It is complete submission to God. It has to come from the HEART. Islam CANNOT be spread by the sword and every one trying to do so in no a Muslim. This is Quraan proved. There is no compulsion in religion/

Sabour

1- What is your position about Islam?
For a Christians all religions are equal and must be respected. So I respect Islam as much as I respect Hinduism, Judaism, Buddhism etc etc

2- Do you have any questions that you would like having answers to?
yes. Don't you think that Muslims who live in European countries enjoy their religion much more than those who live in Islamic countries?
I mean...given that they live in secular states

3- Why do you think Islam is wrong?
The source of Islam is the Qur'an. After decontextualizing the Qur'an, (which must be necessarily taken out of context) I conclude that Islam is a beautiful religion which has a lot in common with Christianity.
so Islam is not wrong in my eyes.
But...as I said...I think that Muslims deserve secular countries.

Regarding your point, I believe that Islamic ruling is the best for people because it is just to everyone, however the problem we see now adays is that we don't have an Islamic ruling at all. Even in Saudi Arabia.

Here is a link to explain what I mean

www.ahmad-juhaidi.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/how-islamic-islamic-countries.pdf

Sabour

Is it a social construct like any other religion. It is used to propagate an isolated worldview on to a global scale. To dictate what is acceptable or not within a society. To consolidate power over the masses into the hands of a few. Since the construct is a religion people are less motivated or fear to question such a system unless individuals are in the out-group or non-conformist. More so the authority of such a construct is out of reach for humanity being an abstract concept itself. We can not question God, ask for clarification, etc. It also creates a system of authority within humanity which are required to explain the religion to the population it supposedly guides. It tell people what to think not how to think. Some people need it as they are unable to develop their own worldview or axioms for a moral code.

It has both it's positives and negatives as any other social construct developed to dictate acceptable social interaction. It is the unquestionable aspect which I find troubling.

Many of what you wrote is not true.

As muslims, we are not isolated and we are obliged to be good and interact with the non muslims too if they are not fighting us.

All people are equal in their rights and duties and power is not in the hands of few. Power is in the hands of none but only to God.

Islam always encourages thinking and reflecting on things and it is not about blind faith.

Sabour

It is a collection of superstitious beliefs based on lack of knowledge.

What about doing things logically and reflecting on things. Is it lack of knowledge?

Not specifically to islam, but why do adhearants point at other adhearants and say the do not represent islam
?

Because probably group A finds that what group B is doing is not Quraan supporting.

Besides it is a human tendency for one to think that he is the one who is understanding things correctly.

If the purpose of that person is judging others rather than clarifying things than I think that he is at fault just like the other brother.

Sabour

Since I assess all belief systems based on the behaviour and philosophy of adherents and you've specifically excluded "what Muslims do" from the discussion, I can't tell you what I think of it. I can say that based on that criteria, Islam seems to me basically the same as Christianity and Judaism. :)

Well thanks for your opinion.

But why should you assess a religion based on the adherents while there is a big possibility that people you are looking at are not actually adherents.

Sabour

1. I do not believe is angels.
  2. What is your view of abrogation?
  3. I don't understand the question.

Thanks for your input.

Do you believe in devils?

my view of abrogation is the same as stated in the Quraan.

2:106 We do not abrogate a verse or cause it to be forgotten except that We bring forth [one] better than it or similar to it. Do you not know that Allah is over all things competent?

In Islam there is a science of abrogation a scholar must study to know which verses are abrogated. It is not random choosing. Abrogation is not a contradiction. For example, before Islam Arabs were heavy drinkers. So Allah prohibited alcohol on three stages.

The gradual prohibition came in 3 verses in the following order:

Surah 2:219

They ask you about intoxicants and games of chance. Say: In both of them there is a great sin and means of profit for men, and their sin is greater than their profit. And they ask you as to what they should spend. Say: What you can spare. Thus does Allah make clear to you the communications, that you may ponder

Then....

Surah 4:43

O you who believe! do not go near prayer when you are Intoxicated until you know (well) what you say.....

Then....

Surah 5:90

O ye who believe ! wine and the game of chance and idols and divining arrows are only the abomination of Satan's handiwork. So shun each one of them that you may prosper.

I wish you would read more here about the subject

Abrogation?

Sabour

A walk of life that works for some and not for others to reach a specific spiritual goal that is entirely irrelevant to the spiritual goal I seek.

Nothing personal here, maybe you are wrong about that.

What are some aspects of Allah that differentiate it from the Judeo-Christian's perspective on God, Yahweh?

The first thing I can think of is the concept of trinity. We believe in God alone. We are told in the Quraan to tell them not to say three for God is One.

Don't take it personally, I think that I also am probably wrong, as well as everyone else.

This can't be. There is a truth out there. I believe Islam is the truth.

vskipper

I believe that in the confines of the four madhabs it is a peaceful religion. Ibelieve that when the Qur'an, when read with the sunna of what Muhammad would do, promotes peace and living for others. But... I believe that the Qur'an is theologically wrong for the reasons stated in my thread, "static or dynamic god" under quranic debates. I also believe that as long as the Saudi/ Wahhabi alliance is maintained we will never be free of extremist nutjobs because the U.S. & Europe sold their soul for mthe petrodollar a long time ago

Reactions: MD

Tabb

No you are incorrect.The God that I know,Yahweh or Jehovah,is the God of Israel, and the God of Abraham,but, the god that Muslims know is not He.They can say the god of Abraham but that does not mean it is Jehovah. Yes,I do know that Mohammed claimed that he received his info from Gabriel the Angel.He said that Gabriel strangled him and forced him to memorize it all and write it down word for word.Just because he claimed he received it from Gabriel doe not prove anything.Muslims also deny Jesus as being from the God of Israel.They claim he was just a prophet and even deny that he was executed.Islam is all fabricated.Its stories taken from the talmud and changed around.

First off, if Allah is in fact a contraction of two words, al and ilah, then Abualrub is wrong in saying that Allah is Arabic for elohim. Elohim is the plural form of eloah, and in neither case do we find the definite article forming part of the words themselves as we find with Allah. The definite article in Hebrew is ha, not al, and if one wanted to speak of THE God in Hebrew, he would have to attach the definite article to the words that are commonly used for God in the Hebrew Bible (i.e., el, eloah, elohim etc.). Notice the following examples:

Allah of Islam, Is He Yahweh God of the Bible?

I don't know where you witnesses get your info but boy are you off base,. Allah is simply Arabic for God. Muslims address him by his title and not his name. They're not on a first name basis with him like you guys so they show respect for their superior like every other religion. Your semantical argument that they do not pray to the same God as Abraham is ludicrous. Islam is known by every religious Scholar there is as an Abrahamic religion. The God they worship is spelled out on the first few pages of the Qur'an. Their position on Christ is Arian as is your religion to a degree. A prophet is the highest a man can rise to in the eyes of God and they give the honor of being the greatest Prophet to Yeshua..

As an Omnist I have respect for all religions. But I really feel tested when it comes to Witnesses. Your intentions are honorable but arrogant. I find you belittle God by insisting that you guys can completely understand God and no others can. When in fact like all religions you fail to put god in prospective. He or she is the creator of the entire universe and we live on a planet in the Universe whose entire solar system is merely a spect in it. Do you call your father by his first name, probably not because you would get a good scolding. I wonder if God feels the same way.

Also please don't quote scripture to me because most of it I don't believe is inspired by God. I ask a question of you and I would appreciate you using your brain. I have enough Watch Tower Magazines from members of my own family i could read.

Last edited:

Monk Of Reason

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
1- What is your position about Islam?

I have objections to it. Namely the militant way in which it was formed and carried out in parts of the world today as well as the view of women.

2- Do you have any questions that you would like having answers to?

Do you think that apostasy will ever be accepted in the Islamic world?

3- Why do you think Islam is wrong?

The general lack of evidence for the religion to be considered "true" which is the same reason I don't believe most religions.

Tabb

I disagree with that.

First equality doesn't mean being the same because every sex has different traits and not the same things would be suitable for both.

I agree with that argument to a point. You have to see where that position would be construed as sexist. Also it can be misapplied by misogynist males in charge to exclude women.

Second, if you ask our muslim sisters, there will be many who prefer things being that way because this is what suits them.

The only way that could be tested is to remove the restrictions or create a coed area of worship.

This is to ONE- ANSWER

Last edited:

Sabour

1. Islam has promise. It promotes personal discipline and self-sacrifice and moderation. You have to mostly fast for a month every year, for starters.

The biggest reason for that is that we would remember the poor that can't eat and we would feel for them.

Other reasons would be like health benefits that we would have from fasting.

But I am not sure on why you wrote for starters. Ramadan is only one month a year. But if you meant that people can fast also other than Ramadan for the sake of God, than you are right.

2. A commentary on the opening chapter in Quran, which I am told should be recited during every prayer time. The chapter is only 70 words long (in English), but the commentary book I found is 400 pages or so. But it connects Jesus with the Jonah story, where Jonah was inside the fish for 3 days. Here it is:

"The Jews incurred the displeasure of God, the Supreme, by viciously denouncing as accursed a pure and holy Prophet of God though they had come to know that the Messiah did not remain in the sepulchre and that his prophecy that his case would be like that of Jonas, that is to say, that he would enter the sepulchre alive and would come out of it alive, had been fulfilled." (p. 318).

-Hazrat Mirza Ghulam Ahmad of Qadian, Commentary on Surah Fatima,
Islam International Publications, 2004.
select pdf at al-Islam web site: The Holy Quran

Now, why did Jesus enter the tomb alive? Is this mentioned in Quran itself? It's not in the first chapter of course, but my Quran pdf isn't searchable. What is the significance of Jonah here? Religions, especially complicated ones with books, must be studied, to understand anything about them.

Well I read this again, again, and again. Still I cant clearly understand what that has to mean.

Quraan says on the matter that Jesus peace be upon him was not crucified nor dead, but Allah rose him.

I think the commentator is trying to prove the Christians and the Jews wrong from what you have provided.

Here are things I have found on the matter, I hope you read them.

Jesus Survived the Cross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmCqtsBZHik

I am not sure if that answers your questions. I really like that if the dont answer your question you would further clarify.

3. What went wrong was how it started. Christianity started as an urban religion in a secure Roman Empire. Islam did not start from such a position of comfort, but in a rough neighborhood with warring groups. That isn't their fault, but it led to the Battle of the Trench and the Banu Qurayza, who were eliminated to prevent them from forming an alliance against the first Muslim group. Is there a way this history can be confronted and overcome? I think affected how the religion developed.
~:confused: :)[/QUOTE]

Well as for Banu Qurayza they were a group of Jews who were living among Muslims and had a treaty with them. But they worked against this treaty and had arrangements with the enemies and betrayed muslims in the middle of a war.