• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your thoughts on ''mediums?''

David1967

Premium Member
There are Bible scriptures which suggest that it is not possible for dead people to communicate anything.
Ecclesiastes 9:4-5 and Ecclesiastes 9:10 Isaiah 26:14

With the one exception of the witch of Endor who raised up the spirit of Samuel for King Saul. Granted that totally backfired on Saul.

David1967

Premium Member
I watched a documentary recently about mediums, and it all seemed very convincing, that there are people out there who can 'channel' the dead, and bring some closure for those of us who have lost loved ones, and maybe are still searching for answers. Some religions teach that mediums are evil, but I happen to think that maybe there are some people who have this special ''gift.'' What do you think? Do you ''believe'' in mediums?

Have you ever hired one to help you communicate with a deceased loved one?

I believe that those mediums like we see on TV are no different than the faith healers. Preying on the emotions of people in their time of loss. They use the same techniques as magicians. I recommend that you watch the documentary "An honest Liar".

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I recently attended a public talk by one of these mediums. The talk was free and she did readings for about five people in the audience (of about 50) - communicated with and passed information from their dead relatives. The subjects did not seem like plants at all (one of the subjects was pretty embarrassed at being picked on) and apparently all the information seemed to be fairly accurate. I was quite convinced that the channeling was real. This medium was talking quite normally and saying logical, reasonable things all the time. However, I would not trust anyone who goes into a trance or talks in an altered or weird voice - those are the fake ones.

David1967

Premium Member
I know you don't.

I'm serious. Why would you ask me if I "wanted to shoot you now or later"? Do you know of other places in the bible when a medium was successful? Do you disagree with the fact that it didn't go well with Saul? What point are you trying to make?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I'm serious. Why would you ask me if I "wanted to shoot you now or later"? Do you know of other places in the bible when a medium was successful? Do you disagree with the fact that it didn't go well with Saul? What point are you trying to make?
The spirit in the account wasn't dead.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
She said what are your thoughts about people contacting dead ones.
I said the Bible says that dead people are not conscious.
So then, people said something about paper plates and mentioned Saul calling on Samuel and Jesus appearing with Moses and Elija and I said yes, OK, but those three didn't come from the dead place.

Because? To Jehovah, all are living.

And then I say "shoot me" or maybe you think "people suck" might be better?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Some help for you:

Time is relative, and flexible and, according to Einstein, "the dividing line between past, present, and future is an illusion". So reality is ultimately TIMELESS. This sounds pretty bizarre from the view of classical physics, but from the view of consciousness theory and spirituality, it fits in perfectly.Jan 1, 2014

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
I watched a documentary recently about mediums, and it all seemed very convincing, that there are people out there who can 'channel' the dead, and bring some closure for those of us who have lost loved ones, and maybe are still searching for answers. Some religions teach that mediums are evil, but I happen to think that maybe there are some people who have this special ''gift.'' What do you think? Do you ''believe'' in mediums?

Have you ever hired one to help you communicate with a deceased loved one?

It's one of a myriad of scams employed by charlatans and whack-jobs to take advantage of credulous and vulnerable people. I suppose some people actually get comfort out of this, but they are still being taken advantage of.

The methods and processes of "cold reading" are well documented and understood, and a brief viewing of most "mediums" reveals that they are employing these techniques (whether consciously or not), albeit, usually very poorly and embarrassingly.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I just want to add that to Jehovah all that are presently dead NOW are not alive to us now.
I mean that they are not somewhere without their flesh, but alive to Jehovah there.
They are alive NOW to Jehovah NOW where they were when they were alive on Earth.

You know! Before they died.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Ok, I see where your coming from.
Do you?

A test for you.

Alive to Jehovah means
1. after they died they went somewhere to keep living
or
2. All of the creation is just an instant of time to Jehovah, so everyone lives, you know, NOW.

james bond

Q. Your thoughts on ''mediums?''

A. Those who do it for a price: Con artists.
.....Those who do it for non-monetary personal reasons: Crack pots

What about those who try to communicate with aliens?

"Those who do it for a price: Con artists.
.....Those who do it for non-monetary personal reasons: Crack pots"

james bond

There are Bible scriptures which suggest that it is not possible for dead people to communicate anything.
Ecclesiastes 9:4-5 and Ecclesiastes 9:10 Isaiah 26:14

"They are dead, they shall not live; they are deceased, they shall not rise; therefore hast Thou visited and destroyed them, and made all their memory to perish." -- Isaiah 26:14

Are you sure they're referring to the regular deceased in this verse? It seems like it's reserved for the wicked.