• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your thoughts on ''mediums?''

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Could it be that this enhanced brain activity allows them to pick up on subtle cues and that these mediums are still frauds who don't need to ask much questions at all? The mediums you claim are not frauds could just simply be mediums with a much higher sense of intuition who can pick up on subtle cues that other typical mediums cannot.
Certainly parapsychologists are aware of that possibility so they design blind experiments where the medium has no knowledge of or even sees the person being read. Cold readers like you are talking about admit they could not perform under blind conditions.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"They are dead, they shall not live; they are deceased, they shall not rise; therefore hast Thou visited and destroyed them, and made all their memory to perish." -- Isaiah 26:14

Are you sure they're referring to the regular deceased in this verse? It seems like it's reserved for the wicked.
Is it in the past tense? I don't know! If it is what you think it means then how do you resolve that with this?
Acts of the Apostles 24:15 I have the same hope in God as these men themselves have, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.

George-ananda

Premium Member
It is pretty damming. Although his education is impressive, those on the same level of academic knowledge and understanding, his fellows and peers, seem to hold another opinion in regards to this.

Snippet from wiki.....

Schwartz's methods have prompted criticism from skeptics such as University of Oregonprofessor Ray Hyman, who says Professor Schwartz's research deviates from the accepted norms of scientific methodology, and criticizes Schwartz for research errors such as inappropriate statistical tests and using subjects predisposed to believe inpsychic abilities.[11] Skeptic Robert Todd Carroll maintains that Schwartz's evaluation of mediums is subjective and a product of "wishful thinking."[8][12] When retired stage magician and famous skeptic James Randiasked the University of Arizona to submit Schwartz's research data to an independent panel for evaluation as part of his One Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge, Schwartz declined because he thought that the panel, which he believed would be picked by Randi, would be biased. The University of Arizona's then-president Peter Likins, decided that Schwartz's statements were matters of "freedom of expression."[non-primary source needed][13]

Schwartz has also been accused by psychic Laurie Campbell and Allison DuBois of exploiting their psychic abilities for his own publicity.
I'll repeat myself; The attacks are from the same group that attacks every parapsychologist. They are quite influential on Wiki and are the media's go to people to get both sides of a story. I judge for myself after doing the homework. Most people quote the side they want to hear and are satisfied with that.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
Thanks, but you probably shouldn'the speak for others.

Oh... you know..... a chat with most any psychologist will show that 'we' all can be crazy about some issues and subjects, and stability-in-total about other matters. (but don't ask a psychiatrist........ they're all beyond hope).

It's rather like sayin' that yatchsmen can often be seen out sailing! Easy!

:D

james bond

Is it in the past tense? I don't know! If it is what you think it means then how do you resolve that with this?
Acts of the Apostles 24:15 I have the same hope in God as these men themselves have, that there will be a resurrection of both the righteous and the wicked.

It's the past tense. However, I think it's referring to those who lose their spiritually perfect bodies and thus their identities. They have no resurrection.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'll repeat myself; The attacks are from the same group that attacks every parapsychologist. They are quite influential on Wiki and are the media's go to people to get both sides of a story. I judge for myself after doing the homework. Most people quote the side they want to hear and are satisfied with that.

Well. Mr. Schwartz apparently still, has his work cut out for him.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Well. Mr. Schwartz apparently still, has his work cut out for him.
No, parapsychologists may be doing their jobs just fine. And it is impossible work to ever try to convince the enemies of the very concept of parapsychology. I see his and many other parapsychologists work being presented much more in a serious light than it ever has in the past. These parapsychologists can present themselves as very intelligent individuals that can defend their work from attacks. I have seen turning in the tide in just my lifetime.

Twilight Hue

No, parapsychologists may be doing their jobs just fine. And it is impossible work to ever try to convince the enemies of the very concept of parapsychology. I see his and many other parapsychologists work being presented much more in a serious light than it ever has in the past. These parapsychologists can present themselves as very intelligent individuals that can defend their work from attacks. I have seen turning in the tide in just my lifetime.
Just the inability to prove anything to the skeptics. I'd be more impressed if he actually could.

Assuming of course there's any creedence to what he's set out to do. As it stands, there is none at all. No peer review, no university publications, what's the point of even mentioning his credentials as a professional if he doesn't bother to apply any standards by which those credentials were earned?

I'm seeing so far It's just a man's fantastical hobby from what was "produced" so far. Nothing educational or scientific. Even the mediums got sore from being left out of a cut for the pie which again is pretty damming.

People like him will never produce peer reviewed studies because this hobby has no science or practicality to it.

Why even call it an experiment? It's not.

George-ananda

Premium Member
Just the inability to prove anything to the skeptics. I'd be more impressed if he actually could.

Assuming of course there's any creedence to what he's set out to do. As it stands, there is none at all. No peer review, no university publications, what's the point of even mentioning his credentials as a professional if he doesn't bother to apply any standards by which those credentials were earned?

I'm seeing so far It's just a man's fantastical hobby from what was "produced" so far. Nothing educational or scientific. Even the mediums got sore from being left out of a cut for the pie which again is pretty damming.

People like him will never produce peer reviewed studies because this hobby has no science or practicality to it.

Why even call it an experiment? It's not.
Dr. Gary Schwartz has written dozens of peer-reviewed papers on this and other subjects for those that are actually interested in going beyond nowheresville on this.

Twilight Hue

People like him will never produce peer reviewed studies because this hobby has no science
Dr. Gary Schwartz has written dozens of peer-reviewed papers on this and other subjects for those that are actually interested in going beyond nowheresville on this.
I already looked for any peer reviewed publications. They seem to be missing from the internet.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I watched a documentary recently about mediums, and it all seemed very convincing, that there are people out there who can 'channel' the dead, and bring some closure for those of us who have lost loved ones, and maybe are still searching for answers. Some religions teach that mediums are evil, but I happen to think that maybe there are some people who have this special ''gift.'' What do you think? Do you ''believe'' in mediums?

Have you ever hired one to help you communicate with a deceased loved one?
I think that people who present themselves as mediums are a mix of either sincere but deluded, or deliberate liars.

And I think anyone who charges money for medium services is dishonest and unethical, even if they sincerely believe that they have a "gift". If they're going to hold themselves out as genuine, they have an ethical obligation to confirm that their "gift" is real.

ThePainefulTruth

Romantic-Cynic
I watched a documentary recently about mediums, and it all seemed very convincing, that there are people out there who can 'channel' the dead, and bring some closure for those of us who have lost loved ones, and maybe are still searching for answers. Some religions teach that mediums are evil, but I happen to think that maybe there are some people who have this special ''gift.'' What do you think? Do you ''believe'' in mediums?

You ought to watch a movie that's out now, The Personal Shopper, starring Kristen Stewart. Her character is supposed to be a medium as was her dead twin brother. Maybe you could make sense of the ending.

As for believing them, I would if one could answer a question about someone in my life without giving him/her anything but my and her name. That doesn't mean I don't hold the hereafter to be an open question, just that whatever it is, there's not any interaction between it (including God, if It exists) and us. The world is too fraught with con men, and that applies to spirituality, politics and other criminals.

Milton Platt

It obviously wasn't a very good documentary if it left you with that impression. No medium has ever really stood up to scrutiny.

George-ananda

Premium Member
I already looked for any peer reviewed publications. They seem to be missing from the internet.
Papers

Third or fourth one down is:
ANOMALOUS INFORMATION RECEPTION BY RESEARCH MEDIUMS DEMONSTRATED USING A NOVEL TRIPLE-BLIND PROTOCOL

...and yes at the end he mentions the peer reviewers by name. And he gives the protocol and results in the lengthy read.

But anyway I doubt this will change anything, but here.

Twilight Hue

Papers

Third or fourth one down is:
ANOMALOUS INFORMATION RECEPTION BY RESEARCH MEDIUMS DEMONSTRATED USING A NOVEL TRIPLE-BLIND PROTOCOL

...and yes at the end he mentions the peer reviewers by name. And he gives the protocol and results in the lengthy read.

But anyway I doubt this will change anything, but here.

Your right. It dosent change anything.

No .edu designation whatsoever which is what I was actually looking for. Only found it was presented and published through a psudo-science magazine in 2010. Explore. Journal of science and healing.

Gary Schwartz's 2010 Study. - The Skeptics Society Forum

Deidre

I think that people who present themselves as mediums are a mix of either sincere but deluded, or deliberate liars.

And I think anyone who charges money for medium services is dishonest and unethical, even if they sincerely believe that they have a "gift". If they're going to hold themselves out as genuine, they have an ethical obligation to confirm that their "gift" is real.
That's a good point, if I had this ''gift,'' I'd want to offer it up not charge money. Some famous mediums are making some serious money.

Segev Moran

I watched a documentary recently about mediums, and it all seemed very convincing, that there are people out there who can 'channel' the dead, and bring some closure for those of us who have lost loved ones, and maybe are still searching for answers.

Yet none could have perform such miracles under observed experiment..
interesting :)
Some religions teach that mediums are evil, but I happen to think that maybe there are some people who have this special ''gift.'' What do you think? Do you ''believe'' in mediums?
Nope.
I do however believe that some people have the ability to bring comfort using the ability to "read" others. They manage to bring comfort as they understand what this person needs the most.

I Also think people are easily "bought".
They will believe many things especially if it brings them comfort.

more than that :) I Come from a family with a long "Spiritual" abilities.

Myself have an "official Tarrot reader" diploma.

I Can say it is a great tool.
I used to open cards for people and many times got a "wow" response.

I Know today that it is not really spiritual.
It is based on being able to "translate" an image to a person's state of mind.

If i see a very sad in front of me, and would draw a "Death " card...
I can translate this card to fit the person in front of me.

I Could say something like: "I See a very hard period in your life, This card represents the death of this era".

On the other hand, I could just as easily say: "I See you have lost something vary valuable recently, This card represents your loss".

Either way, I Will probably be right.

If you go to a medium as a person to get comfort from, why not? But my suggestion would be not to make decisions based on what a "medium" tells you, rather get what feels right for you and study your actions before taking them.

Deidre

Yet none could have perform such miracles under observed experiment..
interesting :)

Nope.
I do however believe that some people have the ability to bring comfort using the ability to "read" others. They manage to bring comfort as they understand what this person needs the most.

I Also think people are easily "bought".
They will believe many things especially if it brings them comfort.

more than that :) I Come from a family with a long "Spiritual" abilities.

Myself have an "official Tarrot reader" diploma.

I Can say it is a great tool.
I used to open cards for people and many times got a "wow" response.

I Know today that it is not really spiritual.
It is based on being able to "translate" an image to a person's state of mind.

If i see a very sad in front of me, and would draw a "Death " card...
I can translate this card to fit the person in front of me.

I Could say something like: "I See a very hard period in your life, This card represents the death of this era".

On the other hand, I could just as easily say: "I See you have lost something vary valuable recently, This card represents your loss".

Either way, I Will probably be right.

If you go to a medium as a person to get comfort from, why not? But my suggestion would be not to make decisions based on what a "medium" tells you, rather get what feels right for you and study your actions before taking them.

I hear you. I don't think I'll be meeting with a medium anytime soon if ever, as there is a part of me that believes people could have ''gifts'' but there is also the skeptical part of me, that realizes people will say they have a gift for money. I've never been to a psychic or card reader, either. I like your advice, thank you.