• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Zizek believes atheism is ideological

Have you ever considered that others do
understand you, but the problem lies in
your loopy claims?

You call not believing in sky fairies a "belief
system". That's a pretty ambitious label. It's
like my being labelled "not a stamp collector".
Yours is a very strange & strained way of
seeing reality.
Ya gotta let go of these over-reaching
generalities.
When you add positive claims to your fundamentalist lack of belief, then yes, you have a belief system. If you are not a stamp collector, then don't go around trying to destroy the stamps. Find your own hobby. I am an atheist against Zeus but you don't see me debating the faslehood of Greek myths. That would be absurd.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Don't forget that many philosophers are religious.
So was Newton. What of it?
In reality philosophers are a mixed bag when it comes to religion. Lots of them have been atheists.
I'm dissing their over-complicating the simple.
And getting thing outright wrong, eg, the one
mentioned by the OP.
How is Zizek wrong in this case? Where is your counter evidence? How do you refute what I have added to his claim?
And philosophy doesn't just deal with the simple. It does tackle some complicated subjects, it does show us what seems simple isn't really so, and that complicated things can be broken down into simpler parts.

Where did Nietzsche say this? He was an art nerd but I'm having difficulty pinpointing where exactly this quote comes from.
Let it serve as an instruction to these serious minds that I am convinced of art as the highest task and the truly metaphysical activity of this life - Prelude to Wagner page 13

Oh, here we go again....with the typical Christian
insult, ie, calling an atheist a "fundamentalist".
I suppose that next you'll say we have "faith".

Newbies....always re-inventing the wheel with
smug satisfaction & feelings of originality.
I meant fundamentalist as in foundational. I used it to refer to the fundamental belief not you.

Their is Nietzsche contra Wagner and The Case of Wagner.
I was wrong. I thought it was from The Case of Wagner, it's from The Birth of Tragedy. Here is another quote on aesthetics: As the philosopher relates to the reality of existence, so does the artistic person relate to the reality of dreams; he observes closely and willingly: for from these images, he interprets life for himself, and from these events he practices for life. It is not only the pleasant and friendly images that he experiences with that omniscience: the serious, gloomy, sad, dark, the sudden inhibitions, the teasing of chance, the anxious expectations, in short the whole "divine comedy" of life, with the inferno, passes before him, not just like a shadow play - for he lives and suffers in these scenes - and yet not without that fleeting feeling of illusion; and perhaps many, like me, remember having called out to themselves in the dangers and terrors of dreams, encouragingly and successfully: "It is a dream! I want to keep dreaming it!"

Madsaac

When you add positive claims to your fundamentalist lack of belief, then yes, you have a belief system

Not sure Zizek said atheist have a belief system and he's right unlike many religions atheism doesn't have a set of values, codes, principles, doctrine or rituals that help people understand what it means to be an atheist.

Atheist think for themselves

One post quoted him saying that Christianity
is atheistic. Need I explain that error?
Historically. It is. Go ask the Romans.
Atheist think for themselves
No, you don't. Atheists follow along like sheep just like everyone else. They are influenced by culture, upbringing and environment just like everyone else. They aren't freethinkers no matter what your mythology tells you. Free thinking is a process not an identity.

Madsaac

No, you don't. Atheists follow along like sheep just like everyone else. They are influenced by culture, upbringing and environment just like everyone else. They aren't freethinkers no matter what your mythology tells you. Free thinking is a process not an identity.

Atheist only have one belief, a lack of belief in gods. And yes, to what degrees would be influenced by culture, upbringing and environment.

However, when talking about topics relating to god and religion they aren't as 'shackled' in there approach because they aren't bound by any set of values, codes, principles, doctrine or rituals.

Therefore allowing for more 'freethinking'

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Atheist only have one belief, they don't believe deities. And yes, they are influenced differently by culture, upbringing and environment.

However, when talking about topics relating to god and religion they aren't as 'shackled' in there approach because they aren't bound by any set of values, codes, principles, doctrine or rituals.

Therefore allowing for more 'freethinking'

Well, the problem being an atheist is not just that as being a human and if you start observering us as atheists that some of us are in believers in a field of science, rationality, naturalism, evidence and humanism.
And in effect our atheism are connected to the belief that religion is bad somehow.

Madsaac

How do you know that you know and what is knowledge to you?

I think you worry about this too much. Remember, this is a forum, a type of platform that often needs someone to get straight to the point.

And people on this forum will know straight away what your point of view is, without having to give evidence all the time. If I was on a football forum then yes, you would have to give evidence with these types of comments.

Lets have a look at what you are referring to (Maybe not the best example, anyway...) I said 'Now that we know god and religion is not necessary for explanation, it's the way of the future.'

So, people know that I mean religion is not as necessary now to explain things because we have science and secular societies. Some may agree and some may not, whatever. But I have made my point. You need to give the reader more credit.

I think it's more enjoyable then having to give evidence all the time?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I think you worry about this too much. Remember, this is a forum, a type of platform that often needs someone to get straight to the point.

And people on this forum will know straight away what your point of view is, without having to give evidence all the time. If I was on a football forum then yes, you would have to give evidence with these types of comments.

Lets have a look at what you are referring to (Maybe not the best example, anyway...) I said 'Now that we know god and religion is not necessary for explanation, it's the way of the future.'

So, people know that I mean religion is not as necessary now to explain things because we have science and secular societies. Some may agree and some may not, whatever. But I have made my point. You need to give the reader more credit.

I think it's more enjoyable then having to give evidence all the time?

Yeah, you think and I think differently. So you decide what matters for you. I accept that. The moment you claim something about more than you, then I ask for evience just as you apply evidence as a method on religion.
In effect you seem to be doing a double standard for evidence.

Madsaac

Well, the problem being an atheist is not just that as being a human and if you start observering us as atheists that some of us are in believers in a field of science, rationality, naturalism, evidence and humanism.
And in effect our atheism are connected to the belief that religion is bad somehow.
Not sure what you are saying, could you please reexplain, thanks