• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

“ I Am Part of the Resistance Inside the Trump Administration”

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Since I'm retired and have the time to scour that various news channels, there simply is not much of a comparison between Fox and MSNBC, and I'm not saying this as any kind of personal bias.

They both have news services that are fairly accurate. And both also have a load of opinion that goes with the channels. The big difference is that people like Shepard Smith on FOX News has had news stories that refute the claims of Hannity. I may not agree with the commentators on MSNBC at times, but I don't think they have been caught being idiotically wrong anywhere near as often as the commentators on FOX have been.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
You will get your chance to attempt to change this with your vote in 2020 if you are a U.S. citizen.
Remember: Trump lost the election by 3 million votes and only got the position due to the EC, and even then his victory margin wasn't that impressive. And now with the "Resistance" Trump may not even win the primary to get back on the ballot. And if Dems win big in a couple months, I don't see it likely that Trump even gets a chance for a second term, as it could cause this "Resistance" to grow outside of Trump's administration (McCain's death will probably fuel this movement).

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Remember: Trump lost the election by 3 million votes and only got the position due to the EC, and even then his victory margin wasn't that impressive. And now with the "Resistance" Trump may not even win the primary to get back on the ballot. And if Dems win big in a couple months, I don't see it likely that Trump even gets a chance for a second term, as it could cause this "Resistance" to grow outside of Trump's administration (McCain's death will probably fuel this movement).
Trump unfortunately won the election. He did not lose it. He lost the popular vote but the electoral college was not even close to representing that. That he won 304 to 227. That made it look like a landslide. A clear indication that the electoral college does not fairly represent the nation.

And Trump has lost over 10 percent of his base. That dooms him in any future election unless there is a massive change in opinion.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
Trump unfortunately won the election.
When it comes to "we the people" Trump lost. When it comes to "elites who have a hang-over position from the days of slavery," that is where Trump won.
That he won 304 to 227. That made it look like a landslide.
If you go by that and only that, and not historical precedence that shows at a very poor EC margin, 46th out of 58th.

A clear indication that the electoral college does not fairly represent the nation.
Washington in general doesn't fairly or equally represent that nation.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm sure some hopeful anti-Trumpeteers are creaming their pants over this but with mid-terms right around the corner and the "anonymous source" and "anonymous author" I find it dubious at best, I'm just waiting for the the much less publicized retraction and apology at a later date. Nice touch attempting to tap into the seeming need of some lefties to appear to be an oppressed fighter for goodness and light, this isn't Star Wars.

Funny.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I will compile a list and make a thread about the retracted stories in the near future (a week or so) it deserves it's own thread. The author of the anonymous op ed will soon be revealed, it is only a matter of time.
As far as the rest of your post, it is pure rubbish.
Then why does Trump spend so much time tweeting about the press, how it supposedly lies and how various channels and papers should be shut down? Can you think of any previous president who has done this?

exchemist

Veteran Member
I'm sure some hopeful anti-Trumpeteers are creaming their pants over this but with mid-terms right around the corner and the "anonymous source" and "anonymous author" I find it dubious at best, I'm just waiting for the the much less publicized retraction and apology at a later date. Nice touch attempting to tap into the seeming need of some lefties to appear to be an oppressed fighter for goodness and light, this isn't Star Wars.
I'm waiting for Trump to be out of office, one way or another. I think there is now a greater than evens chance he will end up behind bars.

Just wait until the investigators start on his tax returns. Real estate is a murky enterprise at the best of times, due to the opportunities for bullying, dirty tricks and graft. And for someone with a personality like Trump's, it beggars belief to think his business affairs will be straight.

exchemist

Veteran Member
The first link seems to be unreachable from here, but the second is very interesting. Maybe it does indeed put Trump into perspective. Thanks for this. Perhaps, after all, I am getting this irritating blighter out of proportion. I do hope so. But he worries us over here in Europe, as his behaviour has echoes of the slide to authoritarianism in the 1930s. The acid test, perhaps, will be if he starts his own private army of brownshirts. I can just see a nice, clean-cut fellow like Stanyon in uniform.......:D

Back to your link, there are evidently quite a number of presidents who have criticised the papers. I notice however that several of those listed seem, like Jefferson, to have also made statements showing they recognise the value of a free press to a democracy. I don't think we have an expectations that Trump will do that.

The only president to have actually taken steps towards controlling the press was Woodrow Wilson, it seems - and that was at the time of WW1. Such measures were common in wartime. (The UK did the same in the early years of WW2, though they quickly found it was counterproductive, as the public could smell when they were being spoon-fed propaganda, and simply started to distrust everything they were told.)

Last edited:

ecco

Veteran Member
I will compile a list and make a thread about the retracted stories in the near future (a week or so) it deserves it's own thread. The author of the anonymous op ed will soon be revealed, it is only a matter of time.
While you're at it, compile a list of all the demeaning remarks Trump has made in the past two years.
While you're at it, compile a list of all the out and out lies that Trump has made in the past two years.

As far as the rest of your post, it is pure rubbish.
The rest of my post ...
The first thing any wannabe dictator does is diminish the press. If this was a third world country, he would have shut down all media except Fox and you would be cheering in the streets.

What part is rubbish?

If you don't know that wannabe dictators attack, diminish, outlaw, eliminate the Press, I suggest you need to read up on history.

ecco

Veteran Member
I don't watch FOX news myself but I do check in on MSNBC every once in a while to see what they are up to, their formulae sounds similar to what you are describing but with a different political agenda to stroke.
You don't watch Fox. You only occasionally watch MSNBC.

Where do you get your news from? Facebook?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
The first link seems to be unreachable from here, but the second is very interesting. Maybe it does indeed put Trump into perspective. Thanks for this. Perhaps, after all, I am getting this irritating blighter out of proportion. I do hope so. But he worries us over here in Europe, as his behaviour has echoes of the slide to authoritarianism in the 1930s. The acid test, perhaps, will be if he starts his own private army of brownshirts. I can just see a nice, clean-cut fellow like Stanyon in uniform.......:D

Back to your link, there are evidently quite a number of presidents who have criticised the papers. I notice however that several of those listed seem, like Jefferson, to have also made statements showing they recognise the value of a free press to a democracy. I don't think we have an expectations that Trump will do that.

The only president to have actually taken steps towards controlling the press was Woodrow Wilson, it seems - and that was at the time of WW1. Such measures were common in wartime. (The UK did the same in the early years of WW2, though they quickly found it was counterproductive, as the public could smell when they were being spoon-fed propaganda, and simply started to distrust everything they were told.)

I also look at the situation from the point of view that the press may often serve some other interest, such as that of their owners or the financial elite. If the press are speaking poorly about our leaders, yet not really showing any concern about the truth or the well-being of the people as a whole, then they too become distrusted institutions.

That's why presidents like Trump can endlessly razz the media and not really lose much support, since a lot of people don't really consider the media as on the people's side. The public perceives the media as doing what they do on behalf of other powerful, vested interests - and not in the interest of "truth, justice, and the American Way."