• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

240 days left until the world comes to an end

Just_me_Mike

Interprets an ancient date??? What takes interpretation there? Any Hebrew calendar conversion tool shows the dates coincide with our modern May 21...

You're wrong there, too.

EDIT: And there's a reason for that. In order to "date Noah's flood," a whole series of interpretative errors have to be made, and few biblical scholars are that inept these days.

The very few scholars that do fall into this trap are completely unconcerned with interpretative methods, genre, king lists, the history of interpretation, theology, geology, history, and basic earth science.

You can go to a theological library, close your eyes, and pick a commentary on Genesis at random, and 9 times out of 10 the scholar will reject any date for Noah's flood.

AE are you familiar with the work of Edwin Thiele "the mysterious numbers of the Hebrew kings"?
If so please comment on how this is viewed in the scholar circle. I own it only because it is what Harold Camping used in part for his timeline. It is a great book describing ascension and non-ascension kings and I am not aware of many refutations agains his work.

Thanks...

james2ko

You're wrong there, too.

EDIT: And there's a reason for that. In order to "date Noah's flood," a whole series of interpretative errors have to be made, and few biblical scholars are that inept these days.

The very few scholars that do fall into this trap are completely unconcerned with interpretative methods, genre, king lists, the history of interpretation, theology, geology, history, and basic earth science.

You can go to a theological library, close your eyes, and pick a commentary on Genesis at random, and 9 times out of 10 the scholar will reject any date for Noah's flood.

I see that you're desire to be right is greater than saving a human being from believing a lie which could cause physical and pscychological harm to him and his family. You're missing the point. Camping's 7,000 year-ago flood date is not supported by the learned. Even if we take the earliest flood date on this list, we come up way short of Mr. Camping's magic number:

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3402 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood from the Alexandrian Septuaginta. [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3350 BC [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The "earliest date" for the beginning of the Jemdat Nasr Period/Era [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]according to Maisels (cf. below)[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3342 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood from the Alexandrian Septuaginta. [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]([/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3302 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood from the Vaticanus Septuaginta. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3242 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood from the Alexandrian Septuaginta. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3213 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood acording to Flavius Josephus, Jewish Historian. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1st century AD. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3171 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood from the Samaritan Pentateuch. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3112 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood from Samaritan Pentateuch. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3000 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]............Date of the Flood ([/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]David Livingston[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] Ph.D., of Associates for Biblical Reseach).[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2960 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]............Maisels' "end" of Jamdet Nasr period (The Shuruppak Flood occuring in this Era).[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2958 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]............Date of the Flood according to Eusebius' calculation (4th century AD) from the Greek Septuaginta [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]noted by in the 5th century AD Jerome (Roman Catholic Latin Vulgate Bible). [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2950 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]...........Date of the Shuruppak Flood (cf. MacDonald, who allows anywhere from 2950-2850 BC) [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2903 BC............Date of the Flood from the Samaritan Bible[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif](cf. below The on-line Catholic New Advent Bible Encyclopedia "Deluge" article). [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2900 BC............Date of the Shuruppak Flood according to archaeological findings[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif](cf. below, Professor H.W.F. Saggs circa 2900 BC for the Shuruppak Flood). [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2800 BC............The "latest date" for the "end" of the Jemdat Nasr Period or Era.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2750 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The Shuruppak Flood is dated ca. 2750 BC _in_ the Early Dynastic I Period[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]by Trevor Palmer, Nottingham Trent University, United Kingdom (cf. below) [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2700 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]............Gilgamesh believed to have been a king of Uruk. In the Gilgamesh Epic [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]he seeks out the Flood's survivor, Utnapishtim (the Mesopotamian Noah),[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]formerly a king at Shuruppak where he was warned by his god to build a [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]boat to save self, family and animals against a flood to be sent by the gods[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] to destroy all mankind.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2648 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Dean Coombs ([/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Bible Prophecy website[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]) notes _8_ "possible" dates for the Flood.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2600 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Shuruppak limestone bas-relief showing men paddling a boat which might be the[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"original" boat behind the later "embellished" myths of reed-boats, reed-chests [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]and the biblical Noah's "Ark."[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]There is more but you get the point. Here's the source for those interested[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Ancient Days :: A Universal Flood: 3000 BC :: by David Livingston[/FONT]

Just_me_Mike

I see that you're desire to be right is greater than saving a human being from believing a lie which could cause physical and pscychological harm to him and his family. You're missing the point. Camping's 7,000 year-ago flood date is not supported by the learned. Even if we take the earliest flood date on this list, we come up way short of Mr. Camping's magic number:

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3402 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood from the Alexandrian Septuaginta. [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3350 BC [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The "earliest date" for the beginning of the Jemdat Nasr Period/Era [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]according to Maisels (cf. below)[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3342 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood from the Alexandrian Septuaginta. [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]([/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3302 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood from the Vaticanus Septuaginta. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3242 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood from the Alexandrian Septuaginta. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3213 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood acording to Flavius Josephus, Jewish Historian. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1st century AD. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3171 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood from the Samaritan Pentateuch. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3112 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood from Samaritan Pentateuch. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3000 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]............Date of the Flood ([/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]David Livingston[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] Ph.D., of Associates for Biblical Reseach).[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2960 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]............Maisels' "end" of Jamdet Nasr period (The Shuruppak Flood occuring in this Era).[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2958 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]............Date of the Flood according to Eusebius' calculation (4th century AD) from the Greek Septuaginta [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]noted by in the 5th century AD Jerome (Roman Catholic Latin Vulgate Bible). [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2950 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]...........Date of the Shuruppak Flood (cf. MacDonald, who allows anywhere from 2950-2850 BC) [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2903 BC............Date of the Flood from the Samaritan Bible[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif](cf. below The on-line Catholic New Advent Bible Encyclopedia "Deluge" article). [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2900 BC............Date of the Shuruppak Flood according to archaeological findings[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif](cf. below, Professor H.W.F. Saggs circa 2900 BC for the Shuruppak Flood). [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2800 BC............The "latest date" for the "end" of the Jemdat Nasr Period or Era.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2750 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The Shuruppak Flood is dated ca. 2750 BC _in_ the Early Dynastic I Period[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]by Trevor Palmer, Nottingham Trent University, United Kingdom (cf. below) [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2700 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]............Gilgamesh believed to have been a king of Uruk. In the Gilgamesh Epic [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]he seeks out the Flood's survivor, Utnapishtim (the Mesopotamian Noah),[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]formerly a king at Shuruppak where he was warned by his god to build a [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]boat to save self, family and animals against a flood to be sent by the gods[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] to destroy all mankind.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2648 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Dean Coombs ([/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Bible Prophecy website[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]) notes _8_ "possible" dates for the Flood.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2600 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Shuruppak limestone bas-relief showing men paddling a boat which might be the[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"original" boat behind the later "embellished" myths of reed-boats, reed-chests [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]and the biblical Noah's "Ark."[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]There is more but you get the point. Here's the source for those interested[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Ancient Days :: A Universal Flood: 3000 BC :: by David Livingston[/FONT]

there isn't any magic to it. He lays out exactly how he comes to his numbers for anyone to examine. So until you can present the faulty way he has done it your opinion well doesn't mean much, now does it
I'm all for looking at it, but just to say they are magic numbers, come on...

james2ko

there isn't any magic to it. He lays out exactly how he comes to his numbers for anyone to examine. So until you can present the faulty way he has done it your opinion well doesn't mean much, now does it I'm all for looking at it, but just to say they are magic numbers, come on...

You know darn well even if I did provide evidence from the bible, you are too fixated on Mr. Camping's date to see it. We can only hope you'll be more receptive on May 22..

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie

Just_me_Mike

Gregorian:October 7, 3162 B.C.
Julian:November 2, 3162 B.C.
Jewish:Heshvan 17, 600
י״ז בחשון תר״
Weekday:Friday

:rolleyes:

Abdicate - Jewish Calendar, Gergorian Calendar, and Julian Calendar Converter
Oh I see, well you did that wrong friend.

Go back to your link, and on the gregorian part do may 21 2011, it is the EXACT date as mentioned in Genesis to enter the ark. It's OK those conversions can be confusing...

Gregorian: May 21, 2011
Julian: May 8, 2011 (post ¹)
Jewish: Iyyar 17, 5771
י״ז באייר ה׳תשע״א
SDN: 2455703.5 ²
Weekday: Saturday

Last edited:

Just_me_Mike

You know darn well even if I did provide evidence from the bible, you are too fixated on Mr. Camping's date to see it. We can only hope you'll be more receptive on May 22..
James, you are making an assertion that his numbers are magical. I simply replied and said he has made available for all the world to see, his work on how he does things. To say they are magical simply means you have your head in the sand with regard to his actual written work.

InChrist

Free4ever
12 days left. I wish you all could see the light...

Why do you listen to Harold Camping instead of Jesus Christ? Harold Camping has already proven himself to be a false prophet by predicting the end of the world and setting a date ( Sept. 6, 1994). He was wrong then and will be proven wrong again this time.
Jesus said , "Of that day and hour knows no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my father only." Matthew 24:36

...let God be true and every man a liar. Romans 3:4

james2ko

James, you are making an assertion that his numbers are magical. I simply replied and said he has made available for all the world to see, his work on how he does things. To say they are magical simply means you have your head in the sand with regard to his actual written work.

Not to worry. This will all end soon. On May 22nd, the proverbial "ostrich" will be revealed. :D

Last edited:

Just_me_Mike

Why do you listen to Harold Camping instead of Jesus Christ? Harold Camping has already proven himself to be a false prophet by predicting the end of the world and setting a date ( Sept. 6, 1994). He was wrong then and will be proven wrong again this time.
Jesus said , "Of that day and hour knows no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my father only." Matthew 24:36

...let God be true and every man a liar. Romans 3:4
Matthew 24:36 was absolutely true during the church age, but that ended, and now that verse doesn't apply. Please read 1st Thessalonians 5, you will see what happens to those that think no one can know, it warns right before the end many will preach matthew 24:36, and then sudden destruction will come to them.
There is still 12 days left though, I hope God opens your eyes and many others before it is too late.

The Wizard

Well, no Koolaid for me, thank you. Nothing is going to end... change keeps changing... Everyone that says that ends up wrong... or is this a joke or something?... IMO.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I'm definitely tuning in to the station on the 22nd. If there is programming aired, then that indicates a schedule was prepared for that day and subsequent ones as well. Not to mention the entertainment at hearing Camping eat crow, but I suspect instead of that the station will just act as if nothing ever happened and continue on its programming that day.

Camping will air probably later on for which adjustments and revamping will be prepared out most likely in the form of apologetics or a claim that a fufillment of some sorts pertaining to the date has occured as predicted. JW's had something similer by way of it's 1914 prophecy in comparisim in order to to save face I suspect so Camping could go a similer route.

Just_me_Mike

I'm definitely tuning in to the station on the 22nd. If there is programming aired, then that indicates a schedule was prepared for that day and subsequent ones as well. Not to mention the entertainment at hearing Camping eat crow, but I suspect instead of that the station will just act as if nothing ever happened and continue on its programming that day.

Camping will air probably later on for which adjustments and revamping will be prepared out most likely in the form of apologetics or a claim that a fufillment of some sorts pertaining to the date has occured as predicted. JW's had something similer by way of it's 1914 prophecy in comparisim in order to to save face I suspect so Camping could go a similer route.
Yes, yes... This may well happen. Though that matters little if he is wrong, life will go on for you as usual and he will do whatever. On the otherhand, when that day comes and the earthquake strikes, the fear that will strike you will far exceed the fun and games that might surround Camping's embarrassment of being wrong.
I feel sorry for anyone underestimating what is about to take place. It truly is going to be a horrible day. There is still time to pray for understanding.

waitasec

Veteran Member
why hasn't anyone who believes the world will end on the 20th hasn't deposited any money into my paypal account?