• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

240 days left until the world comes to an end

Just_me_Mike

It's OK...you'd be mocking me...I like that.
No, you see since I believe this will happen, it also means you will face judgment and I know you will have no need for money. On the other hand if you don't face judgment you will join those chosen to go to heaven and will still need no money.
If I gave you my last bit of money it would mean I doubt my beliefs, and my God.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
No, you see since I believe this will happen, it also means you will face judgment and I know you will have no need for money. On the other hand if you don't face judgment you will join those chosen to go to heaven and will still need no money.
If I gave you my last bit of money it would mean I doubt my beliefs, and my God.
Oh,no....it would mean that you're humoring a heathen who really likes money.
It would feel good to have it for as long as it's useful, however brief that period is.

As for doubts, if you don't have them, then this small favor wouldn't create them.

joea

Oshoyoi
Your area will probably be first. I hope the best for you and your loved ones. I really do!
When one has accepted death, understand what death is, and know without death there is no life, and know death is the ultimate peak of life, and know I was never born never died.....and know I am ETERNAL; WOULD i be worried about death?

InChrist

Free4ever
Matthew 24:36 was absolutely true during the church age, but that ended, and now that verse doesn't apply. Please read 1st Thessalonians 5, you will see what happens to those that think no one can know, it warns right before the end many will preach matthew 24:36, and then sudden destruction will come to them.
There is still 12 days left though, I hope God opens your eyes and many others before it is too late.

So you believe the church age has ended because Harold Camping has told you so and you believe his interpretation of 1 Thessalonians 5. Again, you are choosing to believe a man over the scripture and the words of a false prophet over the words of Christ who said the gates of hell would not prevail against the church. The passage in I Thessalonians does not at all say that anyone would know the exact day, it only indicates that believers are to live a godly life, watching and praying concerning the Lord's coming so that they are prepared whenever the day occurs.

I know a family that was where you are now the first time Harold Camping set his false date. Afterward, when Christ did not return on that day it truly had a negative impact on the faith of the children and their trust and respect for their parents from then on. I hope that you will be willing to repent before the Lord and your family for listening to someone like Harold Camping, who has already been proven a false prophet by the biblical test.

Draka

Wonder Woman
I have not much left, just a few hundred dollars... Plus I can't mock God...

Please tell me you are not one of those who are squandering everything they have because you truly believe you will not need anything after May 21? You really have that much faith in a man who has been wrong time and time again? You won't even entertain the slightest possibility that he could be wrong once more?

Look, does your god not want you to be smart? Isn't it said that "God" helps those who help themselves? Aren't you warned about false prophets? Do you think your god will be proud of you for taking this man, this extremely likely false prophet, so seriously that you cripple yourself and your ability to fend for yourself and your loved ones? IF Camping is wrong, and it is VERY likely he is, then you will have followed a false prophet to self-ruin. If your god helps those whom help themselves and you are helping to dig your own financial ruin, in which direction do you think your god will help you when life goes on as normal on May 22?

Just_me_Mike

Christ who said the gates of hell would not prevail against the church.
Which church friend? Those in Alabama that have been burned by racists whites, those in Africa or China that have been utterly destroyed, those all around the world that have been brought to rubble from natural disasters?
Only an amateur would interpret what Christ said there as a literal church. The gates of hell have prevailed among MANY literal churches. Or have you forgotten the following before the end of the world:2nd Corinthians 11
[14] And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light.
[15] Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also be transformed as the ministers of righteousness; whose end shall be according to their works.
2nd Thessalonians
[3] Let no man deceive you by any means: for that day shall not come, except there come a falling away first, and that man of sin be revealed, the son of perdition;
[4] Who opposeth and exalteth himself above all that is called God, or that is worshipped; so that he as God sitteth in the temple of God, shewing himself that he is God.
[5] Remember ye not, that, when I was yet with you, I told you these things?
The temple of God friend was the church, and now Satan and all his ministers are over the churches. There is a difference in the invisible eternal church of all the believers from beginning to end, and a multitude of separated denominated churches scattering the world. To say all the hundreds of denominations actually represent Jesus is an insult.

The evidence for this is they teach a "works" salvation, and a few variations of salvation, none of which allow God to take the true glory of salvation. The devil is in the details. The path is narrow, and so it takes ridiculous amounts of scrutiny to see the details.

Your error here is getting hung up on Camping, and not addressing the scripture. I can leave Camping out of this, and present my case clear and true from the scripture. I don't want to argue with you however, so if you disagree, you have made your bed, just as I have...

Just_me_Mike

Please tell me you are not one of those who are squandering everything they have because you truly believe you will not need anything after May 21? You really have that much faith in a man who has been wrong time and time again? You won't even entertain the slightest possibility that he could be wrong once more?

Look, does your god not want you to be smart? Isn't it said that "God" helps those who help themselves? Aren't you warned about false prophets? Do you think your god will be proud of you for taking this man, this extremely likely false prophet, so seriously that you cripple yourself and your ability to fend for yourself and your loved ones? IF Camping is wrong, and it is VERY likely he is, then you will have followed a false prophet to self-ruin. If your god helps those whom help themselves and you are helping to dig your own financial ruin, in which direction do you think your god will help you when life goes on as normal on May 22?
I sense your genuine concern here. And so I hope you sense mine as well. Camping has been wrong. He has been eager, and in the eagerness has been wrong. He is a dedicated student to the bible, and as such being in the public eye he will make mistakes. However, in my opinion, the mistake here would be to dismiss all his work for his errors. After spending much time really reading his work, it would be impossible to read the bible without his influence on that reading.

What I am saying, is he made a mistake in 1994, he paid dearly for it, was mocked ridiculed, and is still going through that. I started reading his work to disprove what he was saying, and once I really gave an open mind to his writing and how he looked at scripture it became clear there was something undeniable there.

As far as squandering all I have, I never had much to begin with. My wife and two kids and a humble house we rent now. God never once said in the bible and in fact it would be sacrilege to say God wants you to help your self. He never said God helps those that help themselves. That is a secular idea, and if any Christian teaches it, than they might use a handful of verses to twist into meaning that. It is literally impossible for to help yourself until God interjects in our lives. Just like the story of Saul changing into Paul, Paul could have never done the transformation on his own. Or the thief on the cross with Jesus, he reviled Jesus right up to the last second, and something changed, the guy did nothing, do no scholar research, didn't help old ladies across the road and see the error of his way, he changed and ask Jesus to remember him when he died.
Help like that can only come from God.
Hope that wasn't too long, but there you go...

A

angellous_evangellous

I see that you're desire to be right is greater than saving a human being from believing a lie which could cause physical and pscychological harm to him and his family. You're missing the point. Camping's 7,000 year-ago flood date is not supported by the learned. Even if we take the earliest flood date on this list, we come up way short of Mr. Camping's magic number:

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3402 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood from the Alexandrian Septuaginta. [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3350 BC [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The "earliest date" for the beginning of the Jemdat Nasr Period/Era [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]according to Maisels (cf. below)[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3342 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood from the Alexandrian Septuaginta. [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]([/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3302 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood from the Vaticanus Septuaginta. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3242 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood from the Alexandrian Septuaginta. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3213 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood acording to Flavius Josephus, Jewish Historian. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]1st century AD. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3171 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood from the Samaritan Pentateuch. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3112 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Date of the Flood from Samaritan Pentateuch. [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 3000 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]............Date of the Flood ([/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]David Livingston[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] Ph.D., of Associates for Biblical Reseach).[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2960 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]............Maisels' "end" of Jamdet Nasr period (The Shuruppak Flood occuring in this Era).[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2958 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]............Date of the Flood according to Eusebius' calculation (4th century AD) from the Greek Septuaginta [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]noted by in the 5th century AD Jerome (Roman Catholic Latin Vulgate Bible). [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2950 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]...........Date of the Shuruppak Flood (cf. MacDonald, who allows anywhere from 2950-2850 BC) [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2903 BC............Date of the Flood from the Samaritan Bible[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif](cf. below The on-line Catholic New Advent Bible Encyclopedia "Deluge" article). [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2900 BC............Date of the Shuruppak Flood according to archaeological findings[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif](cf. below, Professor H.W.F. Saggs circa 2900 BC for the Shuruppak Flood). [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2800 BC............The "latest date" for the "end" of the Jemdat Nasr Period or Era.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2750 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]The Shuruppak Flood is dated ca. 2750 BC _in_ the Early Dynastic I Period[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]by Trevor Palmer, Nottingham Trent University, United Kingdom (cf. below) [/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2700 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]............Gilgamesh believed to have been a king of Uruk. In the Gilgamesh Epic [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]he seeks out the Flood's survivor, Utnapishtim (the Mesopotamian Noah),[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]formerly a king at Shuruppak where he was warned by his god to build a [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]boat to save self, family and animals against a flood to be sent by the gods[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] to destroy all mankind.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2648 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Dean Coombs ([/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Bible Prophecy website[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]) notes _8_ "possible" dates for the Flood.[/FONT]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Circa 2600 BC[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif].............Shuruppak limestone bas-relief showing men paddling a boat which might be the[/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]"original" boat behind the later "embellished" myths of reed-boats, reed-chests [/FONT][FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]and the biblical Noah's "Ark."[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]There is more but you get the point. Here's the source for those interested[/FONT]

[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Ancient Days :: A Universal Flood: 3000 BC :: by David Livingston[/FONT]

No one in biblical scholarship would support the dates you presented. Well, maybe a few (someone has to be wrong).

EDIT: BTW, your references to the various versions of the LXX, Pentatuch, and Samaritan Bible are completely wrong and deceptive. I suppose you've read none of them?

Last edited by a moderator:
A

angellous_evangellous

AE are you familiar with the work of Edwin Thiele "the mysterious numbers of the Hebrew kings"?
If so please comment on how this is viewed in the scholar circle. I own it only because it is what Harold Camping used in part for his timeline. It is a great book describing ascension and non-ascension kings and I am not aware of many refutations agains his work.

Thanks...

No scholar that I have ever read has mentioned him.

That might say something in itself. I've never read Thiele, but apparently he's not important enough to receive mention.

Just_me_Mike

No scholar that I have ever read has mentioned him.

That might say something in itself. I've never read Thiele, but apparently he's not important enough to receive mention.
<snip>
Edwin R. Thiele (1895–1986) was an American missionary in China, an editor, archaeologist, writer, and Old Testament professor. He is best known for his chronological studies of the Hebrew kingdom period.
<snip>
He obtained a PhD degree in biblical archaeology in 1943. His doctoral dissertation, later published as The Mysterious Numbers of the Hebrew Kings[1] is widely regarded as the definitive work on the chronology of Hebrew kings.[2] He traveled extensively throughout the Middle East in the course of his research.
<snip>
Thiele's chronological reconstruction has not been accepted by all of the scholarly consensus,[9][10] but it should be pointed out that neither has any other scholar’s work in this field. Yet the work of Thiele and those who followed in his steps has achieved acceptance across a wider spectrum than that of any comparable chronology, so that Assyriologist D. J. Wiseman wrote “The chronology most widely accepted today is one based on the meticulous study by Thiele,”[11] and, more recently, Leslie McFall: “Thiele’s chronology is fast becoming the consensus view among Old Testament scholars, if it has not already reached that point.”[12]
Source

Thought this might be of interest, it seems others don't share your views...

A

angellous_evangellous

<snip>
<snip> <snip>
Source

Thought this might be of interest, it seems others don't share your views...

I don't see how this is relevant, Mike.

This book deals with chronology of kings - he doesn't date the Flood from it (at least from what I read in wiki).

Just_me_Mike

I don't see how this is relevant, Mike.

This book deals with chronology of kings - he doesn't date the Flood from it.
It is part of the equation. I simply cited this to show to another that Camping's numbers aren't magical. Then I asked if you had read it, that's all, not challenging you at all, sorry.

A

angellous_evangellous

It is part of the equation. I simply cited this to show to another that Camping's numbers aren't magical. Then I asked if you had read it, that's all, not challenging you at all, sorry.

Yes, if Theile's work is exploited and abused to ends that are completely foreign to the nature of his work.

I don't feel that you're challenging me... as I said, I haven't read it. Mostly because Theile has nothing to do with Genesis / the flood.

A

angellous_evangellous

I agree with you there, Mike. Camping didn't pull his numbers out of thin air - in fact, he's in a long tradition of Christians who have dated the beginning of the world from around 6000BCE to 3000BCE. To me, the disparate numbers are irrelevant: the same errors in biblical interpretation are common, the numbers are just calculated differently.

And I know from my reading that such a practice has been thoroughly refuted and almost no modern commentator will do this.