• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

40% of Americans belive the world was created 6000-years ago

gnomon

Actually, I see my first mistake.

The OP stated that 40% of Americans believe the world, repeat world, was created less than 6,000 years ago. Then a Gallup poll not dealing with YEC was introduced showing a 40%, approximately, belief in God creating man within 10,000 years.

Two different things conflated into one.

Jeremiah

First criticism.

Belief that man was created by God, which in this poll can be assumed to be any god concept as it is not defined as the Abrahamic God, does not equate to Young Earth Creationism. Many people believe the planet has existed for quite some time beyond 10,000 years or simply don't care but believe that humanity was created in a relatively short time scale. Raelians believe this, for example.

One thing the poll does not tell us is that of those who did state that they believe human creation occurred as per the Biblical account, 53% according to the poll (which still bears no relevance on YEC), how many of them also answered "a great deal" to the question of how important that view is or if it matters if it is correct. It may be that the "a great deal" respondents were comprised primarily of those who took less literal interpretations.

There are no questions regarding geology and other factors that comprise the views of Young Earth Creationists. Some may say that stating that human creation within 10,000 years does amount to describing Christian YEC's. It doesn't.

Last of all, where is the data for this poll. What method was used to conduct the poll (phone interview, street interview, mail, etc.), how many people were polled, what geographical locations......no data at all.

As I said earlier there was a Pew Forum poll showing 21% of atheists believing in God. That included a personal God or impersonal God. The problem is that agnostics, atheists, pantheists, non-denominational and those who expressed a certain vague concept were lumped together. The original polling question giving that result asked for a belief in God or Universal Spirit.

As I said, I doubt the veracity of the poll. That's real criticism. What more do you want? If you do not like my earlier post showing the true measure of stupidity among the American people than tough. If you are trying to make a case that many people believe in a concept considered stupid, YEC for example, yet the US is still a great nation in regards to science I fail to see the relevance beyond noting contradictions and why people believe weird things. I've met smart people who will stick lit candles in their ear.

"this poll
"

You do realize that I posted more then one poll?

It is not too important what the individuals believe but more so how the questions were posed.

"Last of all, where is the data for this poll. What method was used to conduct the poll (phone interview, street interview, mail, etc.), how many people were polled, what geographical locations......no data at all."

Here for the Gallup.

http://media.gallup.com/PDF/FAQ/HowArePolls.pdf

It seems Gallup shares research data but I am having a hard time finding it for this poll. Would you care to help me find it?

Jeremiah

We are trying to be "witty" because we really don't believe it, and for various reasons. Mine is that I have never trusted statistics of any kind. They ask 1,000 people to tell how millions think. It can be accurate but it has more of a much a chance to be inaccurate. That is just how I feel about it.

This also seems to address your concern, ChristineES.

Last edited:

Darkness

Psychoanalyst/Marxist
I would assume that the numbers of young college age and high school aged students who believe in Creationism is considerably less.

linwood

Personally, I have difficulty believing this number is accurate. My guess is that someone is playing a numbers games gleaned from seemingly related statistics. Though it might be the company I keep, I have never met a person who believes the earth is 6000 years old, in person.

But how often does this topic come up in general conversation?

I gotta tell you I know quite a few people who truly believe this planet is less than 10k years old.
In fact most of the people I am around believe this.

I wouldn`t be surprised it`s 40% or higher really.

The stupidity of the American public cannot be overestimated.

We are an 80% Christian nation.
Don`t you think at least half of those Christians actually believe what their Bible tells them?

:)

gnomon

"this poll
"

You do realize that I posted more then one poll?

It is not too important what the individuals believe but more so how the questions were posed.

"Last of all, where is the data for this poll. What method was used to conduct the poll (phone interview, street interview, mail, etc.), how many people were polled, what geographical locations......no data at all."

Here for the Gallup.

It seems Gallup shares research data but I am having a hard time finding it for this poll. Would you care to help me find it?

Actually the link does provide the best information. The NCSE remarks on the 2004 poll in which they state that 1016 phone interviews were conducted.

I won't dispute the polls consistency in the approximate 45% creationism view. As I said, I conflated the polls you put forth with the statement the provider of the OP. Who I note has not actually provided much at all.

So yes. Creationism which includes no human evolution is still a strong opinion according to the all the Gallup polls. I apologize. I should have directed the majority of my commentary towards the OP.

As far as all the data details it appears one must have access through a university account in order to reach them. But the site you linked mentioning the number polled was what I was looking for.

There's a great writeup on the Gallup polls compared with GSS results and the nature of polls in general in order to determine how many creationists there are in the US. Only recommended reading if you do not plan on doing anything for about an hour.
The Creationists: How Many, Who, and Where? | NCSE

My interpretation from all this is that rejection of human evolution from other species is still rather strong in the United States, it covers a wider demographic than the standard Bible Belt concept and that said rejection is not a character of YEC, creationists or biblical literalists alone.

edit: The GSS (General Social Survey) does post their codebook on their website. It's more than 2,000 pages. While definitely search capable I just don't feel like going that further in depth on a Sunday afternoon.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
"Interpret what?"

The statistics that I posted, Sunstone. It would be nice if you actually gave a worthwhile thought on them. Because I would like to hear valid object criticism on them and not some general off the wall statement that people make when they are being to lazy to make a real post.

Calm down, Jeremiah, and hold back your insults until they are at least half justified --- otherwise you look a mite foolish. Why don't you be so good as to tell me which statistic you wish interpreted? Is that asking too much of you? If it is asking too much of you, then you are just way too lazy for me, and you and I have nothing more to say to each other.

Oh, and don't give me any crap about "40% of Americans believe X" being a genuine statistic. That's not a worthwhile statistic until one knows precisely how it was gathered and arrived at. So, if you can't tell me precisely how a statistic was gathered and arrrived at, you don't have a statistic that can be adequately interpreted.

How's it feel to be on the receiving end of the **** you've been dishing out?

Last edited:

Jeremiah

Calm down, Jeremiah, and hold back your insults until they are at least half justified --- otherwise you look a mite foolish. Why don't you be so good as to tell me which statistic you wish interpreted? Is that asking too much of you? If it is asking too much of you, then you are just way too lazy for me, and you and I have nothing more to say to each other.

Oh, and don't give me any crap about "40% of Americans believe X" being a genuine statistic. That's not a worthwhile statistic until one knows precisely how it was gathered and arrived at. So, if you can't tell me precisely how a statistic was gathered and arrrived at, you don't have a statistic that can be adequately interpreted.

How's it feel to be on the receiving end of the **** you've been dishing out?

" Why don't you be so good as to tell me which statistic you wish interpreted?"

How about the one that we have been talking about, the Gallup.

"That's not a worthwhile statistic until one knows precisely how it was gathered and arrived at. So, if you can't tell me precisely how a statistic was gathered and arrrived at, you don't have a statistic that can be adequately interpreted."

There is plenty of information already posted in that regards, Sunstone.

"How's it feel to be on the receiving end of the **** you've been dishing out?"

I do not care, Sunstone.

Jeremiah

Actually the link does provide the best information. The NCSE remarks on the 2004 poll in which they state that 1016 phone interviews were conducted.

I won't dispute the polls consistency in the approximate 45% creationism view. As I said, I conflated the polls you put forth with the statement the provider of the OP. Who I note has not actually provided much at all.

So yes. Creationism which includes no human evolution is still a strong opinion according to the all the Gallup polls. I apologize. I should have directed the majority of my commentary towards the OP.

As far as all the data details it appears one must have access through a university account in order to reach them. But the site you linked mentioning the number polled was what I was looking for.

There's a great writeup on the Gallup polls compared with GSS results and the nature of polls in general in order to determine how many creationists there are in the US. Only recommended reading if you do not plan on doing anything for about an hour.
The Creationists: How Many, Who, and Where? | NCSE

My interpretation from all this is that rejection of human evolution from other species is still rather strong in the United States, it covers a wider demographic than the standard Bible Belt concept and that said rejection is not a character of YEC, creationists or biblical literalists alone.

edit: The GSS (General Social Survey) does post their codebook on their website. It's more than 2,000 pages. While definitely search capable I just don't feel like going that further in depth on a Sunday afternoon.

"There's a great writeup on the Gallup polls compared with GSS results and the nature of polls in general in order to determine how many creationists there are in the US. Only recommended reading if you do not plan on doing anything for about an hour.
The Creationists: How Many, Who, and Where? | NCSE"

Thanks for the link. It's a bit crazy how much attention is paid to the religious habits of Americans.

Alceste

Vagabond
Personally, I have difficulty believing this number is accurate. My guess is that someone is playing a numbers games gleaned from seemingly related statistics. Though it might be the company I keep, I have never met a person who believes the earth is 6000 years old, in person.

You live in Canada, don't you? Different country.

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
What does an old rock look like?

AcastaG-SlaveC.jpg

Acasta Gneiss, Canada

LittleNipper

really? 6000 years? that is funny. there are millions of years old rocks on this planet

There are rocks that GOD created to illustrate HIS eternal nature. If you can even imagine living millions of years, you are a much braver person than I am.

.lava

Veteran Member
There are rocks that GOD created to illustrate HIS eternal nature. If you can even imagine living millions of years, you are a much braver person than I am.

that's a beautiful thought. time itself reminds me of eternity.

just today i told a friend (RF member) that it would be great to live for 1000 years. because there is always so much to learn. not sure about millions of years :) i don't think i am braver than you, no

Mr Cheese

Tricky God. Making thing appear old to all scientific tests.
What a prankster.
:jester3:

The devil's at it again, this time planting into the ground the skull of a giant sea creature that--if such a thing were possible--could crush an SUV.
Researchers say the marine reptile, which measured an impressive 15m (50ft) long, had a bite force of about 45 tonnes (33,000lbs) per square inch.
The creature's partial skull was dug up last summer in the Arctic archipelago of Svalbard by a Norwegian-led team.
Dubbed "Predator X", it patrolled the oceans some 147 million years ago.
Its jaws may have been more powerful than those of a Tyrannosaurus rex, though estimates of the dinosaur's bite vary substantially.
Of course, we know that there's no mention of such a creature in the Bible, and that since the world's only about 6,000 years old, this "fossil" is only there to test our faith in the World's Only True Religion, Christianity.

Satan Plants More Dinosaur Bones To Trick Humans | Synthesis.net