• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

A big invisible man who created the universe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor
Sorry but your conclusion isn't logical; to say that something is something until it can be proven to be something else doesn't really make sense.

By the same logic I could just as easily say "God is a giant cream filled pastry floating in the 15th demension" and, since you can't prove otherwise, claim that your lack of proof to the contrary proves I'm right.

You're right, that is entirely illogical. I point out this same example to people all the time. The difference is that I'm not claiming God is something. I'm claiming God is nothing. That is logical. Just as I claim unicorns, faeries and Santa Claus are nothing.

If you believe God exists and He doesn't, that is a false belief. A false belief is a delusion.

So I did phrase it incorrectly. God isn't a delusion, but the belief in God is.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
The point im making is me invisible friend could be just as real to me as your God is to you.
Well, you already said that she was imaginary. If she is imaginary, she isn't real. Invisible and imaginary are not the same thing.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
If Steve exists and I believe he does, then he isn't a delusion.

If Steve doesn't exist and I believe he does, then he is a delusion.
If Steve exists and you believe he does, I don't have to believe that - I still have insufficent evidence one way or another. If Steve is a delusion, he is your delusion, no one else's. You have proved nothing.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Well, Storm seems to be ignoring me now. I guess he can't answer a simple question.

Storm, if you are reading this, I hope you realize I just used your exact same logic to prove belief in a God is a delusion as much as Steve is a delusion.

Both can only be known by personal experience.

Both can not have their existence shared to others.

Both can not be verified by scientific inquiry.

Both are believed in by people who think they are receiving orders to kill people.

God is a delusion. I don't care if that's offensive. It's the truth until you can demonstrate some real evidence outside your own mind and personal perceived universe.
You proved that you have no idea what you're talking about, and that you are an utter waste of my time. Now run along and let the grown-ups talk.

Prometheus

Semper Perconctor
If Steve exists and you believe he does, I don't have to believe that - I still have insufficent evidence one way or another. If Steve is a delusion, he is your delusion, no one else's. You have proved nothing.

I think billions of people believe in a character that makes as much sense as Steve does. They call Him God as if somehow that justifies their belief. I can make up millions of hypothetical gods and beings myself and they could all be as equally untouchable as this God character but none of them would have any evidence and none of them would exist.

Steve the leprechaun, the Invisible Pink Unicorn, Faeries, Trolls, Goblins, Orcs, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, the Tooth Fairy, the Great Space Weasel, the Magical Tube-sock of Wrath and God all have one thing in common.

None of them have any empirical evidence to support them.

Because of this, they are delusions. They are non-existent. They are untrue until proven true.

Just because someone chooses to believe in one of these things because of personal experience and faith that can't be shared, it's still no reason whatsoever to believe them.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
You can't refute me, can you?
Yeah, I can. But why should I bother to refute a so-called argument that was just another insult?

It's a bad argument. It's also a tired argument. It's a pathetic reiteration of IPU, just personalized to include the insult that you know has been my objection all along. It carries about as much weight as the "How can a painting be painted without a painter" mutilation of the Watchmaker argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.